navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A Sign of the Times?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Sign of the Times? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

0 posted 2003-02-01 10:52 PM

I received my auto renewal policy in the mail yesterday. It contained yet an additional exclusion where the insurer would not be responsible for payment to the insured...nuclear and/or radiocative contamination, accidental or intentional, related explosions, fallout, etc.

ummm....if someone's car is destroyed/contaminated by a nuclear explosion, wouldn't it be a safe assumption that their car would be the least of their concerns?

© Copyright 2003 Denise - All Rights Reserved
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
1 posted 2003-02-01 11:07 PM

But you never know....

Just kidding, Denise, I agree with you! P.S. Hi!!!

God bless America, my home sweet home.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2003-02-02 06:54 AM

Our agricultural policy stated outright "terrorist activities"...

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (02-02-2003 06:55 AM).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2003-02-02 08:38 AM

Sad, isn't it? Sad that the insurance industry has to do this?... Can you just imagine what would happen to the industry if they had to cover such expenses?  It would effectively nullify their existance...
Cerenity
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 2637
Escondido-California
4 posted 2003-02-02 09:25 AM

Hi Denise,

Well the title caught me and drew me in! This is kind of like when they show t.v. commercials about medicine, and ALL OF THOSE SIDE EFFECTS!!

Love, Cerenity

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2003-02-02 10:16 AM

Another reason not to buy into the so-called "insurance" philosphy. Too bad I am forced to pay those thieves in order to drive a car or even keep breathing. There are more exclusions than inclusions.
Most policies aren't worth the ragweed they are written on, and I wouldn't count on any of them to pay a dime when you really need the help. Best for you to pray or chant to a higher power and keep your cash in your own pocket.
Cynical? No, I've just seen too many people burned by 'insurance' policies.
A good write, Denise.

winston
since 2002-12-19
Posts 204
NW of Eden
6 posted 2003-02-02 12:14 PM

What a bizzare coincidence! You know Denise, in the last several weeks I've encountered quite a few life insurance people on the streets of New York. Some of them try to use 9/11 as a "good reason" for it. Can you believe that?

It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity, & incumbency.
--G. "DUBYA" BUSH. June 14, 2001. Unaware of rolling TV camera.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

7 posted 2003-02-02 01:48 PM

Hi Elizabeth!

Karilea, I admire their forthrightness, unlike these politicized "city slickers" in the East, who are quite adept at dancing around a subject and never actually come out and say what they really mean.

Nan, It is a shame indeed. In a worst case scenario though, I don't think there would be anyone around actually able to file any claims, or in a "milder" scenario most folks would be dead by the time their claims would be processed, if there weren't the exclusion.

Cerenity, I haven't seen one of those commercials yet where the possible side effects were not a hundred times worse than the reason for taking the medication in the first place.  What are these people thinking?!

Midnitesun, yep, we need insurance here too in order to get a car registered and keep it registered and legal. I wouldn't have it either if I didn't have to. I've never filed a claim, probably never will. I still remember the days when it was voluntary. I never had it then. Hmmmm...I wonder what came first, frivilous lawsuits or litigation lawyers?!

Winston, yep, I can believe just about anything.

Most life insurance companies have an exclusion for "acts of war", which is what I'm sure they would call another 9/11 incident after all the money they had to fork over following that tragedy. I'd definitely read the fine print!

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
8 posted 2003-02-02 01:59 PM

It is sad.  I wonder what will be next.  Makes me worry not so much about my future, but our "children's" future.
Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
9 posted 2003-02-04 12:07 PM

I want to learn to drive, so I found a small car with a 950CC engine (about as small as you can get). It was priced at around £50 and suited my purpose, something which I could learn in that was cheap, I rang the insurance companies and the cheapest quote I could find was £500, thats ten times the value of the car, but that policy basically had too many clauses in, the most reasonable policy was £800 but it gets worse... I was told by one company that it would cost £1000 to insure me on my £50 car... daylight robbery I believe

My Violent Bedtime Stories

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
10 posted 2003-02-04 06:41 PM

Andrew, dude, that insurance is CHEAP.  I know that's not your point, but still... I'm assuming you were asking about insurance for 12 months?  If you were, try asking about a three or four month policy. That's how I do it, and although it comes out to the same amount in the end, it's easier on my non-existant pocketbook.

Monkey!!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A Sign of the Times?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary