navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Bloody colleges!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bloody colleges! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...

0 posted 2003-01-10 12:34 PM

Why must colleges and thier offices be so bloody annoying? Why? Why? Why?

If I had been told what I was told this morning anytime during the last few days of being on campus, I couldn't have to wait till Monday and sit idly as classes continue to fill up.

I'll be taking a 6am psych class, at this rate.

~Titus

"A life unexamined is not worth living."
                       -Socrates

© Copyright 2003 Daniel Redding - All Rights Reserved
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

1 posted 2003-01-10 12:47 PM

(chuckling) sorry to laugh at your misfortune...but so much of life is that way... you do what you think is supposed to be done only to find out they didn't tell you everything to begin with and all you have done is now subject to redo...or better yet..won't do at all... I runa  development crew and as I deal with departments and or job specs..it is amazing how often you get started..having taken the steps you are supposed to in order to make sure the user is getting what they want, and then, the moon shifts or something...and all the words you agreed upon and had a common definition for now have new ones and your old ones just won't do...

hang in there.... my only advise..always...always ask and read... then ask again to make sure you KNOW... it won't keep it from happening..but it will reduce the number of times it does happen.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2003-01-10 02:20 PM

quote:
it is amazing how often you get started..having taken the steps you are supposed to in order to make sure the user is getting what they want, and then …

A client who knows what they want? What a quaint idea.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-01-10 02:21 PM

And thus the real world now begins.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

4 posted 2003-01-10 02:46 PM

Yes Ron....but we must dream! I know there is one out there somewhere..my fear is when/if I ever do...transalting from geek to elnglish will be impossible and we will find syntax errors before we are through.
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
5 posted 2003-01-10 11:43 PM

*cracks up* Welcome to First Year, my friend, welcome to First Year. Don't worry, the best of us go through it.  BTW you don't have to take EVERYthing this semester. There's nothing wrong with having to take an extry semester to finish up your course, dear.  And I speak as an English / Journalism double major who's going to be spending an extry semester at University. *hugs* I do feel your pain though... You don't WANT to know the words I spoke when I learned that lesson
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
6 posted 2003-01-15 01:50 AM

I got it all registered.

I've spent a good deal of the last few weeks on campus, but I've got everything set. Now, to go buy way to heavy books, a new briefcase/messenger bag, and get my student ID taken care off.

Hmm. All set, eh?

~Titus

-Socrates

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

7 posted 2003-01-15 03:46 PM

Ahh...takes me back...

I didn't get into my first choice Psych paper (what you call courses, we call papers) in my first year - because my gpa was too low. Well! After my first semester (we divide semsters up into two a year) my gpa was rather high...so I went back to the pscyh department and the guy said 'you can do anything you want, anything at all.' So...all that time wasted in first semester and three months later I can do anything I want...

And that's just one grumble story...

K

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

8 posted 2003-01-15 04:16 PM

God, don't even get me started on university.

In my first year at UNH, the university was just beginning to start an internet connection service in the dorms (this was Fall 1995).

I remember going down some ancient elevator to the bowels of the administrative offices, to Tech Services, to question on the availability of drop cables and a few other queries. The person there was completely clueless. He looked dumbfounded at my questions.

So then I pull out a blank disk for a driver that the Tech Services person on the phone had said it would supply to me for free on asking, after going down to the office to be assigned a user number. So when I offer the disk, the man looks blankly at me, then starts yelling "DID YOU FORMAT THIS? IS THIS FORMATTED?"

He was writhing on the hook of his stupidity, and needed this to feel better about knowing nothing -- that or he was psychotic.

Either way, I got my revenge for that experience years later when, on newspaper staff, I broke a story about how the computer building would now be charging 10 cents per hour block of computer usage.

My lead? "It costs 5 cents to copy someone else's work. It costs 10 cents to create your own."

Don't tell me journalists don't have biases.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
9 posted 2003-01-15 06:14 PM

Journalists don't have biases
Wait... I'm not one yet... *sigh* Oh well *grins*

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

10 posted 2003-01-15 06:31 PM

Skyfire, I said don't tell me.
PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
11 posted 2003-01-15 07:55 PM

*is writhing from the cost of his books and supplies*

~Titus

-Socrates

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Bloody colleges!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary