navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Tattoos... (Ew, I know we've had enough of this.)
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Tattoos... (Ew, I know we've had enough of this.) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

0 posted 2003-01-07 08:42 PM

Just curious... how many people have or are planning on getting a tattoo here?

It seems like everyone I talk to is getting a tattoo. Is it just me or has the "identity" of a tattoo been lost on people and is now instead just one big trend? Example: A group of people that I know went out last week and while they were out stopped at a tattoo parlor. While they were in there three of them just picked out 3 tattoos and got them. A sun, a star, and two cherries. I understand that some people get them for purely decorative purposes, but shouldn't they mean something to you - especially since they're permanent?

When I turn 18 in a couple months I'm getting a tattoo that is of a tree with celtic knotting for roots. I love trees and they've always had a very deep relationship with me. As for the knotting, I'm Irish and I am very intimately connected to that heritage so the knotting appeals to me.

Forgive me, I don't know very much about the history of tattoos or why people get them but to me personally getting a tattoo is like presenting an important time, place, person, thing, etc. to you that is permanently on your skin.

So I guess my real question was... whether or not you like tattoos, have a tattoo, or plan to get one.. what are your reasons? To you.. what is the point of a tattoo? I'm just asking because I'd like to see outside perspectives on this.

- Jaime

PS- Go to my house.. please. I just made it the other day.

And she said, I thought I'd never see me again.

[This message has been edited by Jaime (01-07-2003 08:50 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Jaime - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2003-01-07 08:57 PM

Jaime,
I'm going to get one. It will be a heart with my daughter's signature in it. I'm getting it in memory of her and a tribute to SEA!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
2 posted 2003-01-07 09:04 PM

i have a tattoo and i'll be getting my second one soon.  i do need to get some more money first.  heh.

i skipped school and got my tattoo when i was sixteen with a fake id.  i had the design picked out for months and i thought about it everyday.

it's a combination between two separate celtic [i am very scottish with a bit of irish] designs, they come together and are altered in the centre so that each incorporates the other.  it's very attractive and it's been two and a half years and i still love it just as much as the day i got it.

i was actually the first of my age group in my area to get a tattoo and i had really wanted one for a long time.  more of a way to customize my body [my body is VERY 'customized' already].  

and it's also very useful in postmortem identification.  

/jen/

'i don't care if it hurts, i want to have control.  i want a perfect body, i want a perfect soul.'  [radiohead]

[This message has been edited by quietlydying (01-07-2003 09:05 PM).]

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
3 posted 2003-01-07 11:59 PM

I just lost my entire message, so I'll be briefer this time.

Hi, memina. Good question.... I like the thought of why, more so then how or what. I too am going to go get a tattoo (begin with one, and all) in a few months. Tattoo's to me are a reminder of what and who I am; I'll have them not for other's sake, but purely for myself, a lifelong tribute to what I perhaps once was or always will be. My understanding of my identity is always changing, so it's good I have a few months.

On my right pec, although overly used, I want a pair of hands clasped in prayer, because not only is faith a crucial, vital part of my identity. Prayer is, in true biblical Christianity, a foundation and necessary tool. It symbolizes a great many other things to myself, too personal for here.

The main tattoo I'm sure off is the most expensive, and elaborate one. On my back I am going to get an old English cross, no words, not other images mixed in. The Cross is the cornerstone of the Christian faith, an unchangeable part of the message of the faith, though far from wholly the message. The old English style is one the symbolizes various things, a rustic attachment to past times, a harsh, unforgiving, realistic and possibly painful style.

On my left bicep, a smaller version of the above mentioned cross, though this tattoo might be made null and void by it's father figure (Mr. Back).

On my right bicep, a picture of Tupac Shakur, symbolising a great many things to myself, such as artistic talent, freedom, courage under fire, a realistic understanding of life and death, strength, a raw ability to carry on, vitality, passion, and pain, acceptance of imperfections, but an inability to not work on them. 'THUGLIFE' written in block letters underneath his portrait.

These might possible change, more may likely be added. As life progresses on, I'll have more and different things to paint reminders of to myself, for all to see, though for my eyes only.

~Titus

"A life unexamined is not worth living."
                       -Socrates

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
4 posted 2003-01-08 12:03 PM

By the way, it does seem tattos are becoming far too trendy, and the depth of what they usually mean to those recieving them seems to be dwindling. It's sad.

~Titus

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
5 posted 2003-01-08 12:50 PM

Tattoos... why would I get one?  I like the knowledge that nobody looking at my body can discern anything important about me.  Having a tattoo completely defeats that.  I don't do much about my appearance that can't be gone back upon.  Sure I spend a ridiculous amount of time on my hair, but that can be cut if I ever get sick of it.

Maybe I just don't think my body is quite important enough to carry some kind of deep, permanent message seared into it.  To each his own.

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
6 posted 2003-01-08 12:58 PM

" I like the knowledge that nobody looking at my body can discern anything important about me. "

Interesting. I like your philosohpy, Brian. I may not agree (for myself), but, like you said, to each his own. I can understand yours.

~Titus

-Socrates

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
7 posted 2003-01-08 04:05 AM

I have a unicorn on my right shoulder... got it for personal reasons
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

8 posted 2003-01-08 11:55 AM

I'm not *nearly* cool enough...
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
9 posted 2003-01-08 01:45 PM

I don't have tattoos (and probably never will, though I have changed my mind about things before). But, my Gary has tattoos. Each one of them have a special meaning to him. I can't remember how old he was when he got his first one.
I do think that a person should be old enough to know what they really want before they get tattoo's or piercings. They are permanent, though tattoos can't be concealed as well as piercings can (or at least some of them).
I don't think that ANYONE should do things just because it's a trend ot simply because it's the thing to do on that particular day. What about the next day when they might change their mind about what's "in"??

"Love makes the world go around"
~~with love and hugs from Ethel~~  

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
10 posted 2003-01-08 01:52 PM

Make that too cool, Mikey.

~Titus

-Socrates

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

11 posted 2003-01-08 02:27 PM

Yes, I am so cool it physically pains me. Well, that's the first good reason I've heard yet for all these damned migraines!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2003-01-08 02:30 PM

Jaime said "how many people have or are planning on getting a tattoo here?"

Ah, define "here?"

Salty
since 2002-11-23
Posts 669
Texas
13 posted 2003-01-08 03:21 PM

I would like to get one ...a small one on my ankle, but probably never will.  I have even thought about doing the henna painting.
Then you can always take it off if you don't like it.  My Dad has an anchor on his arm from when he was in the Navy.  Now that definitely holds memories for him.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
14 posted 2003-01-08 05:23 PM

A long time ago, in a faraway (and very sunny!) land, a young Marine was stationed near a town that seemed to exist only as a place for service men to spend their money. The one thing more prevalent in this town than tattoo parlors was . . . on second thought, let's not go there.

The nearby base was a training facility, and the young Marine spent nearly two years watching recruits come and go. He saw many of the recruits get the traditional military tattoos, many more get the even more traditional "Mom" tattoos, and a select few, with more imagination and courage, got very untraditional, often very unique tattoos. But the young Marine, in spite of pressures and temptations, never followed suit.

To him, it seemed too much like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
15 posted 2003-01-08 05:37 PM

not yet, the thing is that I am very restless about things. I might get a tattoo and decide a few months later it looks stupid, and i can't thing of an image or words that sum up life or something important to me. I may change my mind, but there are other so many other things I can think of spending my money on.

watched from the wings as the scenes were replayed we saw ourselves now as we never have seen" ian curtis

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

16 posted 2003-01-08 06:51 PM

If I ever had to get a tatoo, it would be a crescent moon. I have always had a special connection with the moon, I wouldn't get it for any other reasn. But I can't do that for a while, so I will think about it and mabee change my mind as I change. But i don't think i ever will get a tatoo. There are to many side affects.

Never be normal!

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

17 posted 2003-01-08 07:01 PM

hmmm... I always wondered if people thought about what hey were going to look like when they get older and the skin isn't as firm or tight as it used to be..and just how attractive they think the ink is going to be after a couple or three decades...

me...no... I have one piercing...and that is enough..

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
18 posted 2003-01-08 07:03 PM

I'm curious; why must it always be attractive?

~Titus

-Socrates

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

19 posted 2003-01-08 07:06 PM

Titus... doesn't have to be I guess...many of us aren't anyway...and or won't be as we age... but..I still prefer my art and drawings on something that doesn't wrinkle..
(chuckling)

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
20 posted 2003-01-08 07:12 PM

When you have to hide from the law, a tattoo is a bad thing..I've found it much better to have no 'identifying' tattoos!
Kosetsu
since 2001-03-10
Posts 450
Alabama, USA
21 posted 2003-01-08 07:17 PM

Titus makes a good point. For some, I'm quite sure that getting a tattoo may simply be for the sake of its attractiveness or coolness. For others though...maybe it holds a better meaning, though they may not fully realize it until it is no longer attractive.

I met an old man a few months ago, and noticed he had a strange tattoo on his lower leg. I eventually realized that it was a reclining woman, like you see painted as a silouhette on old bombers. While I didn't exactly ask about the tattoo, we did discuss that he had been in World War II and such. Do you think he thought to himself "Hey, when I'm old, this'll bring back memories?" Probably not. But it brings back memories now, don't you think?

As for myself, I don't have any tattoos, and I'm not sure I would ever get one. Maybe a rose, with emphasis on the petals and the thorns. I've always held a certain correlation between love and roses. It's hard to hold the rose without getting grazed by the thorns. If I got one, maybe on the back of my right shoulder.

The only other thing would maybe be an inkwell with a quill pen protruding from it. I'm sure the meaning behind this one is clear.

-Adam

neveah5
since 2002-11-22
Posts 197
Ohio
22 posted 2003-01-09 10:08 PM

So far I have one tattoo..on my left calf a purple heart with green vines on it.
I plan on getting a few more. one on the back of my neck and my lower back. i had my nose pierced but it was so hard to sleep with it cuz it hurt so bad when i would hit it.  ive got my tongue pierced and it was so painful for what seemed like forever..i couldnt eat it hurt so bad...i wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
23 posted 2003-01-09 11:04 PM

Smiling at Ron's story...and agreeing completely.

inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
24 posted 2003-01-29 10:10 PM

i have a few here and there, flowery stuff, nothing evil; i waited until i was 40, late rebellion against my daddy,
anyhow, who gives a crap if the skin wrinkels, yeah like when im 70, im gonna even know what a wrinkle is.......live for today.....

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
25 posted 2003-01-30 09:13 AM

I can not think of one logical reason to permanently mark my body with ink.
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
26 posted 2003-01-30 12:22 PM

I have 6.  
Started when I was 24. That's when i got my first. A rose, in black and white and shades of grey. on the swell of my right breast. It was for me, a symbol of freedom. Freedom from an abusive man. It was very liberating. My mom actually picked it out.   That was cool since she was a bit feaked at me getting one in the first place.

The next is on my inner right ankle, just above the bone. It's a grey bunny, that looks like Thumper. I love rabbits. I had that one done with my brother, he got his first tattoo that night. We had a blast.

Then, I got a butterfly on my back left shoulder area. It was drawn for me, kinda tribal looking, the top is teal, and it fades to a purple. I got that because my mother called me her catapillar for years and when I was older, I was her butterfly.

Next, I got my husbands name, Jon, in cursive on my upper left shoulder. I know, most folks say don't do names. I have no doubt about this. He has been a part of my life now, for 18 years. He's my best friend.

Then I got my dragon. love my dragon.... it's on my right inner bicep. It's all black. That was my "bad-ass" tattoo I guess. lol but what it actually means to me is my protective nature.

My last one was awesome...its a sea horse on my upper right back of my shoulder area. it has like 4 bubbles coming out of it's mouth. It is also teal with lavender in it.

I want another one, but I'm not sure just yet, of what I want or where...

My husband is going to be taking pictures of them, and now that I have a good computer lol I can actually get them on here, or send them in an email, if anyone wants to see them  
I have a friend who I owe those pics to any way...

I definately think tattoos are personal, and no one should get one, just to get one. I chose mine carefully, and am happy with them when I look at them.

If you want to look up the history of tattoos, there are several web sites to look at, just type in tattoo.
Or go to the library and read books on them...That is fun to do. Some books have the meaning of certain tats, and I have heard that placement of tattoos can mean different things.
So research it, it's going on your body. In the end though, your tattoo should have meaning for you, and you alone. and for the record, with most short sleeve shirts, you can't even see my tattoos. Only some show the tail of my dragon. You can cover them up, depending on placement.

[This message has been edited by SEA (01-30-2003 12:22 PM).]

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
27 posted 2003-01-30 12:56 PM

here are a few links for you. enjoy.

http://www.mariner.org/exhibits/tattoo/
http://tattoos.com/jane/steve/toc.htm
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/m/l/mlh249/tattoos/
http://www1.hollins.edu/faculty/tumas/348_02/davisra/tattoos.htm

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
28 posted 2003-01-30 03:58 PM

You're great, Sea.

~Titus

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
                 --Aldous Huxley

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
29 posted 2003-01-30 04:05 PM

Titus... so is you baby...
Riley
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2002-07-18
Posts 1038
in the pouring rain
30 posted 2003-01-31 10:17 PM

I would want an eye, just that, on my left ankle....just personal reasons....something I can't really explain i think.....but i never will, because i just can't think of why i would, at least not right now, only 13

Riley

Morning mist clings to my face, and my soul opens up to you......

[This message has been edited by Riley (01-31-2003 10:19 PM).]

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
31 posted 2003-02-01 09:04 AM

For a long time I was against the thought of getting a tattoo but the idea is starting to warm to me. The only reason I would get one would be to symbolise a new beginning in a section of my life that leaves the past behind. It would be symbolic and completely a creation of my own.

I'm a massive fan of piercings though.

"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note." -- Gore Vidal

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
32 posted 2003-02-01 09:19 AM

I must admit...a nicely done tattoo on the small of the back of female can be quite erotic to look at.

Hey SEA ~ where are those pics?

PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
33 posted 2003-02-01 02:16 PM

*laughs at Opeth* You're quite right, good sir!

~Titus

Es ist gut, daß das Leben die Toten studieren sollte.

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
34 posted 2003-02-02 02:50 PM

I should have those pics by tomorrow! Going to have to get help to get them on here, but should work out, by Monday morning or there abouts??
defenestrate
since 2003-01-10
Posts 46
nc, us
35 posted 2003-02-05 01:12 AM

i've thought of a few ideas, but so far, no tattoo or piercing or anything else of the sort really moves me to the point of doing it. i guess i just don't care much about the whole thing, though most of my friends do have tats, piercings of various sorts.
PoetryIsLife
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
36 posted 2003-02-05 09:18 AM

Sea, can you send those pics on along to me?

~Titus

Es ist gut, daß das Leben die Toten studieren sollte.

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
37 posted 2003-02-05 10:00 AM

yes, I can. I have the pics and a friend helping me to be able to put them on line, but I can email them no sweat.
ctowen
Member Elite
since 2001-10-18
Posts 2286
Green Mountains of VT
38 posted 2003-02-10 06:42 AM

A tattoo is to represent meaning of life to
its bearer ...

I have 9 and currently have work done on the tenth (a piece I sat 3 hours for and have 5 more to go)

I have witnessed people coming in and out of the studios, most checking out whats trendy.
But those who bring in a sample of what they are looking for know what and why they want the tat.

My most commented piece is a fiery red dragon on the back of my left hand.
It gives me endurance, and is a reminder of a soul I was once very close to.

A friend of mine has a similar idea with your tree, only she plans to have her childrens names along the branches and it will come up the back of her leg and branch out about her left hip.

Just be sure you know the person doing the work and that they know a little about you to give it that special touch.

chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
39 posted 2003-02-11 07:33 PM

I used to design them.

I don't anymore because I'm boring.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Tattoos... (Ew, I know we've had enough of this.)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary