navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Headaches/migraines?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Headaches/migraines? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

0 posted 2002-12-20 04:27 PM

Does anyone else get headaches quite frequently? I've had migraines all my life -- the kind where you start to see pulsing color around the edges of things -- and they seem to be becoming more commonplace as I get older. I hope this is only a product of bad lighting, and not something more severe.

Anyway, they're no fun. You can't even eat or let yourself be around any scents for too long. You just lie down and feel like dyin'.

Yep, I have one now. Happy birthday to me.

Mike

© Copyright 2002 MPC - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2002-12-20 04:36 PM

I used to get them frequently but as I got older they tapered off. I know I'm getting one when I smell 'smoke' and there's no one around me with a cigarette.

Go to the doctor and try some Imitrex...it can be taken at the first sign of a migraine and nip it in the bud!!

I'm sorry you don't feel good today..so celebrate your birthday when you DO feel better!!

X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon
2 posted 2002-12-20 05:53 PM

I get terrible migraines.....I'll post about it tonight....busy busy right now
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
3 posted 2002-12-20 07:25 PM

I never had migraines, but I get headaches off an on.  Maybe, due to stress.  However, I have awful stomach aches.

Hope you feel better soon.  Get lots of rest, maybe some water, sometimes water helps my headaches.  A warm bath too!  Take care.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2002-12-20 10:27 PM

Mike,
I had migraines with the flashing lights that made it so I couldn't read or drive. But after two years of chronic migraines (3 weeks to 3 months long) I GAVE THEM UP. I hated them they scared me to death. They suck and I'm sure sorry you have that battle.
I haven't had one in many years.
And on your Birthday!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (12-20-2002 10:27 PM).]

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
5 posted 2002-12-21 04:13 AM

I used to get them semi frequently but then I got glasses, maybe that's it? Or stress? Hope you feel better. I listen to NIN or TOOL real loud and then I forget that I had a headache in the firstplace. I dunno why it works
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
6 posted 2002-12-21 08:35 PM

I get migraines, when I'm really tensed about something, with nausea and everything........
Salty
since 2002-11-23
Posts 669
Texas
7 posted 2002-12-22 04:07 AM

I have battled with them for years...but just since this past summer...I have been doing great.  I think it had to do with hormones for me.  I am sure that is not your problem   But you may have hit on something about scents.  My sister has allergies so bad that she has to eat everything organic and absolutely no perfumes or anything that smells. She doesn't get headaches but a lot of other symptons. I do get headaches from a lot of perfumes myself. I know florescent lights can mess with you also.  

Look up *A Tone of Voice*....she knows a lot about enviremental allergies. Your headaches may be coming from something like that.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2002-12-22 07:48 PM

I don't have headaches but I'm a carrier!
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
9 posted 2002-12-23 03:21 PM

LOL at balladeer
sweetwater
since 2002-12-16
Posts 178
Perth
10 posted 2002-12-23 09:23 PM

yep.. I get them too.. mine start with a searing neck pain.. that moves to the head and then the nausea. I usually spend the day going from bed to bathroom.. I can't keep even water down, which pretty much makes medication useless.. I just have to ride it out.
I hope you are feeling much better now

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

11 posted 2002-12-30 07:43 PM

MuchmuchMUCH better, thank you.

And thanks all for taking the time to read my complaint.

Mike

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
12 posted 2002-12-30 09:24 PM

bleh, they suck.

i've always been prone to headaches, but i have had migraines before as a reaction to whatever drug i was taking at the time.

fluoxetine and venlafaxine were the worst offenders.

it would get to the point where i would have these huge patches of nothing.  blurry psychadelic clouds in my vision that drove me NUTS!  and oh the pain.  the horrible horrible unbearable pain!!

but when i'm not on meds i have plain old normal headaches.

i find that so many people who have never had a migraine in their lives seem to confuse them with a bad headache.  there's such a world of difference.

i'm glad to hear you're feeling better though.  

/jen/

'i don't care if it hurts, i want to have control.  i want a perfect body, i want a perfect soul.'  [radiohead]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
13 posted 2003-01-02 05:05 PM

I'll have to come back later, am on my way to work soon. Yep, migraines, complete with nausea, visual disturbances, and total body aches. Allergies, stress, high blood pressure seem to all be triggers for me.
Talk later, Kacy

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
14 posted 2003-01-02 08:03 PM

I generally get them at about 2:30 at night when even complete darkness is too much light. Pain in the arse they are, and it doesn't help that my roommates insist on being up till 3 each night and being LOUD about it too.
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
15 posted 2003-01-02 11:39 PM

Hello
I used to get migraines about once or twice a month. Then I was put on medications for high blood pressure, HRT, and for acid reflux disease. For 6 years on various meds. YUCK, and they cost over $300 month. After moving to Colorado this summer and not having any medical coverage or a Doctor, plus being tired of taking 4 different meds a day, I just quit taking everything in early October. (ie, unsupervised self-doctoring)
I've had about 8 migraines since mid October, and that's 3 or 4 more than I had in the last 5 years.
So I don't know what's going on, but allergies caused by Denver area pollution may be a trigger now, as So California pollution might have been a cause years ago. But I'm no Dr, and now I'm just guessing at possible cause/effect. Come to think of it, that's all the Dr's ever did anyway! I find a cold compress on my head and neck, plain aspirin or Aleve and about 10+ hours of suffering seem to take care of it.
Good luck, hope you find the cause and something to help you. They do have Rx's for migraines, but I don't want any more daily meds.  

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
16 posted 2003-01-03 04:24 AM

I've got Chronic headaches and severe migraines which come about once to twice a week and last one to two days. They actually spread to my muscles so I can't move and then the nausia makes me, well, y'know, and I can't go to school sometimes.
They don't know what the deal is for me, but as for you..

If you can get into a doctor there are severeal medication to help such as Triptans (ie amerge, zomig, immitrex) what they do islimit the blood supply to your brain, if its a Vascular migraine then this may help because what causes that is increased blood flow pushing against nerves.

In the case of it being muscular then it probably is in the back of your head or starts at the neck. A muscle relaxer may help for that, or certain antidepressants (ie amitriptaline, trazodone). There's many other routes to go on such as Beta blockers and such.. but most likely it wouldn't be needed.

Anyway, you probably didn't want all that.. I could say more.. but often medical advise from 15 year olds isn't appreciated *sigh*

Hope your feeling well.
Always, Alyssa

- And so it was that time stood still -
     (blink, breathe, stand, fight)

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

17 posted 2003-01-03 10:49 PM

No, no headaches, just the tension associated with ever having my word doubted. Belated Happy birthday.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Headaches/migraines?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary