navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A Good Book?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Good Book? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2002-11-25 10:55 PM

Do you have any suggestions for a good modern book to meet?  I don't have good relationships with ones that are just thinkers, yet ones that arre just pleasings do not suffice my heart either...maybe there is a manner of a book out there for me that has some content of both thinker and pleasing, put together in a formal and classic structure but yet still modern?  Could any one tell me if such a book exists on earth and would like to meet someone like me?  

[This message has been edited by Essorant (11-25-2002 11:01 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

1 posted 2002-11-26 12:16 PM

If you want to be challenged, confused, enraged and enlightened, try Ulysses by James Joyce.

On the same note, if you're looking for well-drawn complexities and the harshness of war, look into Homer's Iliad. Or the Odysessy, if you're in mood for a quest.

Oh wait, you said modern? Well, Joyce is sorta modern (1920s). And I can never get enough of the emotion and beauty (and eyeglass billboard) of The Great Gatsy by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

And some short stories of Ernest Hemingway are always pleasing and involved.

Good luck.

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
2 posted 2002-11-26 01:32 PM

Essorant,
it depends on your taste in books. Personally I like books that challenge and have a certain uncompromising approach.

I would recommend “The Wasp Factory” by Iain Banks, a wonderful dark black comedy.
IF you are looking for modern book that reflects and challenges 20th and 21st century ideals try American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellison.
I have to warn you that this is not an easy read, it is quite graphic in its descriptions of
Sex, violence and especially Huey Lewis and Whitney Houston (anyone who has read the book will understand). Approach this book with an open mind and strong stomach.
For a fun read try “The hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy” by Douglas Adams.
There are more books I can’t think of at the moment.

I used to make phantoms I could later chase images of all that could be desired then I got tired of counting all of these blessings"h.devoto magazine

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2002-11-26 03:56 PM

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

As Brian said about his suggestions, this is an edgy, raw book with quite a bit of language and sexual situations. Not for the faint of heart. However, it is most definitely a modern book touching on some classic themes (completely obliterating them of course, lol). To boot, this guy has some darn good prose... best I've read in a while.

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
4 posted 2002-11-26 04:30 PM

"The Bible" Various Authors apprantly it's the good book.

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
5 posted 2002-11-26 09:04 PM

and i quote:

'dear god, you name is on a lot of quotes in this book.  as crazy people wrote it, you should take a look'.

- nineteen eighty-four.
- what's eating gilbert grape [the movie just sucked].
- the poisonwood bible.  [very emotional].

there are tons.  since everyone else is suggesting more along the lines of classic, here's some modern lit for ya.  

oh, and what kid makes it through highschool without reading ordinary people?

/jen/

i'm so bitterly disappointed.  betty, i think it's time you leave now.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
6 posted 2002-11-27 01:04 AM

I'm shaking my head at Neil Gaiman over here- to be fair, I haven't read American Gods, or rather, I think I read like one page and shoved it back on the shelf at Thackeray's disgusted. To say the least, I'm NOT a Gaiman fan.

Not big on the Hemingway/Fitzgerald either- I struggled through Gatsby a couple years ago because a friend of mine gushed about it. I hate, hate, HATED that stupid book.

Now, on to the positives-

Brian beat me to the Guide- even if you're not a sci-fi person, the entire series is great. It's fairly light reading, and very intelligent satire at the same time.

I haven't read much Stephen King, but what I have read has hooked me, and while he's primarily a story-teller, I find some meat to his work as well. The Shining is one of my favorite books, period. The Bachman books are very good, albeit dark and violent. And the Stand is good insofar as long, involved novels go.

One really good book I read a few years ago is Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz. Normally, I'm  not a big fan of his, but that book floored me with its originality, and amazingly enough, its optimism. Now, I'm going on about a 4-year-old memory- maybe it wouldn't hold up so well- but I loved it.

Try memoirs. I really liked Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt- it has a nice, witty tone along with a harrowing story- told with just enough good humor. If you want to know about being poor, read this book.

I just finished The World According to Garp. Very good.

Oh, and I really like Kurt Vonnegut. Slaughter-House Five is neat, very innovative- Breakfast of Champions is a little easier to follow, and just as original and fun. (BTW, does anybody know his son's name, or the name of the book his son wrote about cracking up? It's been on my to-read list for a while, but I've got these obvious hindrances..)

Hope I could be of help.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
7 posted 2002-11-27 02:13 AM

*glowers at Andrew*

No, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot.
~ Arthur (Monty Python Search for the Holy Grail)

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
8 posted 2002-11-27 07:19 PM

Why hush? Why? I just picked up American Gods, the first I've even heard of Gaiman, last week. I was instantly hooked! What didn't you like, or are there other books of his that I should avoid?

I forgot to agree on the 'guide." Actually, anything by Adams is WELL worth reading. He's awesome!

King was great... up until you couldn't tell the difference from one book to another. Pretty much about the time of Green Mile, I gave up trying to read... except for the Dark Tower books (and of course Black House, which is not only the sequel to the Talisman, but also a segue to the next Gunslinger book!)

Vonnegut - thanks, that reminds me... I've beenmeaning to read him for some time now and always forget.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
9 posted 2002-11-28 12:58 PM

Chris, I just can't deal with Gaiman. I mean, I guess I can see what someone else might see in him, but first off, I think he's too high-handed, and second off, I don't deal well with his conceptualization of characters.

My boyfriend's a comic book buff and tries constantly to get me to read Sandman, but there's something about the tone of it that incessantly bugs me. I also have trouble with a character named dream who hangs out with a talking raven and has sisters and brothers who are other concepts... I don't even like well-established mythology, let alone mythology that some guy pulls out of his head. I mean, yeah, if you like that sort of pretentious fantasy thing, go for it, but I am decidedly not a fan.

On American gods, I am pretty sure that's the book  of his that I read the first page of and put right back down- if you could remind me of how it starts, I could tell you for sure. Amazon.com didn't have a beginning excerpt of it.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
10 posted 2002-11-28 01:34 AM

quote:
Shadow had done three years in prison. He was big enough and looked don't-[mess]-with-me enough that his biggest problem was killing time, So he kept himself in shape, and taught himself coin tricks, and thought a lot about how much he loved his wife.
Ok, so that's not much, lol, but it's how it starts.

I remember the Sandman comics and wasn't fond of the stories, though I remember some killer inkings. But then again, I'm into the pretentious fantasy thing. That very well could be it right there… something that, now I think about it, we've already noted in our taste differences between poetry as well. *grin* I should have thought of that before, eh?

quietlydying
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
11 posted 2002-11-28 02:16 AM

must agree on angela's ashes.

nicely done - took me four days to read [was back in the hospital again].

but it was a good read.  enjoyed muchly.  

can't wait for the board game.  hahahahaha.  [yes i'm an oldschool madtv fan .]

/jen/

quietlydying
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
12 posted 2002-11-28 02:17 AM

and i'm really not fan of dean koontz or steven king.  i'd steer very clear of them.

/jen/

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
13 posted 2002-11-28 09:57 AM

Chris- okay, that's not the book I started reading. The one I looked at started out by saying something about a troubled man's tale, and how it could be any troubled man's tale, and going on about some rubbish like that. To me, it was like Gaiman said "Hey, I guess I'm such a good writer I don't even need to make the opening page of my book interesting. My name will do it for me."

Beginning of American Gods seems a little more tolerable- at least I wonder why he's in prison, and if his personality is also "Don't-[mess]-with-me"- but... *Sigh* I really have trouble with names like "Shadow?" I mean, it brings to mind two images- my childhood poodle who went by the same name (lol), or I instantaneously imagine a big, built goth guy who's trying to act tough while reciting bad poetryabout black flames and despair. I cannot deal with goth, these people who wear white makeup and dye their hair black and are convinced that they are better than everyone else and that nobody understands them. That's what Gaiman smacks of to me, and if I'm making cover statements, it's because I think I have the right to- I've been through that stage, and I never once met a "goth" who was any better adjusted than I was. So, sorry to offend anyone, but to make a long story short, it's why I can't deal with Neil Gaiman.  

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
14 posted 2002-11-28 10:00 AM

Jen, have you ever read Sole Survivor? It's remarkably better than the other books I read by him- much more compelling story and much more optimistic.

Now, the other ones I read were Intensity, one about some kid and his bully friend, and another than I can't remember, only remember disliking- Sole Survivor (despite the cliche title) tops them all.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
15 posted 2002-11-28 10:15 PM

Actually, hush, I think i would agree... but i would extend that past just goths and to any group that thinks they're misunderstood, or special, or whatever simply because they fall under a label. FWIW, Shadow (yeah, that's my dog's name too, lol) isn't gothy at all. When i started reading, i felt like he was quickly going into a very expected stereotype... but a few chapters in, he became a very interesting character.

Each to their own! Thanks for the conversation though.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
16 posted 2002-11-29 12:27 PM

Most of my literary life has been absorpt in Classics, but I wanted to venture out a bit and see if modern has been behaving itself better or if it is still seems all engrossed with violence and movie drama as when I tried this last.  
I'm thinking I might go with the very first book suggested.  If it is as good as his short story "Araby" there is no way it won't please me.

Thank you all for your reccomendations.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (11-29-2002 12:28 PM).]

Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

17 posted 2002-12-05 10:36 PM

"Slammerkin" by Emma Donoghue
"Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden
"Prozac Nation" by Elizabeth Wurtzel

All light reads... but they are interesting both in psychological and emotional ways. (And all transport you to different periods of time and different cultures, if you're into that.)

i was here

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A Good Book?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary