navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Another Little Poll, Please - Graphics This Time
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Another Little Poll, Please - Graphics This Time Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US

0 posted 2002-11-12 11:12 PM

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that Members could upload graphics to our server? Photos they want to share with others, maybe, or images to post with their poetry. That sort of thing. Obviously, there would need to be limits, both in terms of the file size of a single graphic and the combined file size allocated to a Member. What would those limits be? Maybe those of you who use graphics on the Internet could look at your files and give me an idea of what the largest might be?

In a similar vein, uploading one image at a time is a bit tedious for most of us. How many of you would feel comfortable using a zip program to combine multiple images into a single file before uploading it? I know of at least two popular zip programs, WinZip and PKZip, and I think I read that Win2000 and XP have zip capability as part of the operating system. Which, if any, do you use? Would anyone be willing to write a short tutorial, perhaps with screen dumps, to help our less experienced Members learn how to do it?

And if all of this sounds like Greek to you, I'd like to hear that, too.  

© Copyright 2002 Ron Carnell - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2002-11-13 01:24 AM

I'm up for the tutorials on Winzip, PkZip, and XP (which as you surmised DOES have its own zip function).

Another option would be to have a multiple file upload. On my FutureQuest server there's that option (which i use when i don't have enough files to justify using FTP). It allows you to upload up to ten files / images at one time. Just a thought, as it might be easier for people this way than using a zip program.

As to file size - most of my graphics are under 10k, the average being around seven. that's for my buttons and whatnot though. the size for my 'greeting card' section (which may approximate general picture use) runs between 20-40k a piece.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2002-11-13 05:06 AM

I think a limit of 40k would be good.

Will everyone have a chance to use all the graphics? Let's say Chris uploads something I'd like to use someday. Could I? What about copyright infringement? If there's a graphic uploaded by someone how will I know to give proper credit for it when I post it?

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

3 posted 2002-11-13 07:41 AM

Don't care. yES I'D LIKE MORE GRAPICS, AND I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO USe (ooops C lock) btmps.

"Sticks and stones will break my bones,
But words will break my heart"

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2002-11-13 08:14 AM

As for size capacity, I think you can use your judgment for what's appropriate in the forums.  I often use photos from the greeting card section.  What size are they? They're fine for posts.

File transferring - I haven't used a zip program when I transfer, because the FTP program lets me do batches - But I have no problem doing so - With Christopher's help of course...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2002-11-13 09:17 AM

I'm still learning the ins and outs - I like the idea so that everyone can combine their appropriate art through photography, graphics, etc., but still need to undergo some training myself, so a tutorial sounds great!...[dang little ellipses...]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2002-11-13 11:55 AM

Greek speak, here. I lost the instruction page Mysteria sent me before I moved from AK, and have never posted photos or graphix before. Yes, I would appreciate an easy how to guide. I have XP now, so does that mean it will be a piece of cake? Thanks! Kacy
majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
7 posted 2002-11-13 01:18 PM

space per member: I think that is an administrative decision that ought to be based on an evaluation of server space, projected growth of membership, projected usage, and projected continuing funding for the maintainence of the site.

as for up loading, i would suggest that you also limit the number of distinct graphics that a member can upload in addition to the maximun space used. imagine 100 members uploading 4 pics of 10k each with a 40k limit. that is 400 pics. in think it should be up to the members to manage their own pics.

if you have time, i would suggest creating a dummy acount at sparknotes.com message boards and then checking out how they do the picture uploading. i think most members there are quite satisfied with that system (when the uploading server is working).

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

Savage Quiescence
since 2002-07-29
Posts 326
Wandering
8 posted 2002-11-18 06:10 PM

*blinks* I never liked the Greeks, anyway.  Heehee, I think more graphics would be nice, a little more lively.

"Whatever life brings, I've been through everything, but now I'm on my knees again" -Creed

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
9 posted 2002-11-18 09:09 PM

personally i'm fine with just using my own server.

and i'm allergic to zip programs.  really.

/jen/

i'm so bitterly disappointed.  betty, i think it's time you leave now.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2002-11-18 09:13 PM

Graphics? Why yes, I would love to be a little bit more graphic!

Thanks for asking.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
11 posted 2002-11-21 03:11 AM

Wait, did I hear someone say Graphics? Consider me waiting in the kb line, sleeping overnight in a tent while it is pouring rain or snowing.  Yes please, and I have this imaginery friend who would like 40 kb too then

I will zip, or zap, multi-load, single- load, whatever it takes to keep my graphics in a place I trust.  With arm in air, she says, "Do we get to use each others or are they personal use like Webshots?"  

If we want more space can we buy it?  I guess a better question would be is someone willing to step forward, assume the role of cashier, and take the money for more space?  No?  Okay I have my hand in the air for that job too, and I am my first customer

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
12 posted 2002-11-21 12:24 PM

I would say graphics is good, but please have a separate forum for posts with graphics in/on it. Some of us do have slow network connections, and some posts take ages to open etc....

Thanks for reading,
regards,
sudhir

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
13 posted 2002-11-22 12:48 PM

A good point Sudhir. I think it'll probably be ok... Ron's one of those with a slow connection.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Another Little Poll, Please - Graphics This Time

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary