navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Favourite cult films
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Favourite cult films Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2002-10-06 02:17 PM

Hi all,
After finishing college I started making my way through an extensive range of films I taped, or bought but didn't get a chance to watch. It is always handy to have a collection, as a good film in the cinema is a rare as.. well it's rare.
So just wondering if anyone saw any good films, that might not be well known.

==========================================

El riesgo vive siempre!

© Copyright 2002 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2002-10-06 03:34 PM

"Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory"

there's just something about those "oompaloompa's"...

bwahahahaha---HA!

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
2 posted 2002-10-06 04:01 PM

Karen that is not cult, it is famous, at least in Europe. It is always shown at Christmas, for the past 20 years.

I was talking more about films like

Brazil
City of the lost children
Fisher King
the films of Jan Svankmajer (i'll be well impressed if anyone knows any of his films).
The three colours trilogy
Sex and Lucia
I went down (best irish film in years).

I am sure I'll think of more.
Those OOpma's used to scare the hell of me when i was young, I think anything trippy did, like wanderly wagon about a flying gyspy wagon talking dog...The british kids shows were even worse.

El riesgo vive siempre!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2002-10-06 04:24 PM

I was teasing you lovie!

Hmmm...I dont know that I like cult films that much...but? the music it produces DOES resonate with me...hhhhhmmmmmm...

"And SUDDENLY SEYMOUR!!!!"

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
4 posted 2002-10-06 04:25 PM

It's not a movie but it's cult and the coolest thing and probably one of the best television programmes that I've seen. The Prisioner. It's so cool, I watched all the episodes a few weekends ago, I hardly dared to leave my chair incase I missed something vital.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2002-10-06 04:28 PM

"Dead Again" a film done in New Zealand.
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
6 posted 2002-10-06 05:05 PM

Karen, don't tease! and what do you mean you don't like cult movies that much?
Cult movies are just films that have yet to get a worldwide audience, some don't deserve it but there are many great films waiting to be discovered. That's what I mean by cult, not "arty" Go to your video store and rent a cult film, I command thee. lol

Andrew, I never saw the prisoner. I don't think it made it on to Irish tv.

Sharon, is that the dead again directed and staring Kenneth Branagh?

more cult films I remembered,
Pi, Amelie (a must see, feel good film of the century), Delicatessen. Lost highway, Babe (i kid not, it's a great film.) The iron giant (forget disney this is the best animation film, even has a moral but doesn't ram it down your throat).

How could I forget Memento!?!

El riesgo vive siempre!

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
7 posted 2002-10-06 08:04 PM

The Evil Dead series, hands down.
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
8 posted 2002-10-06 09:04 PM

Oh no!! It's Dead Alive...no big names. It's a very black comedy. Not many people will like it but I laugh every time I see it (something about an ear falling into the soup during a dinner with the prospective inlaws amused me!).
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 2002-10-06 11:15 PM

Who can forget that top cult classic "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"? It was undeniably one of the worst movies ever made....so bad it became one of the most successful cult classics in history, especially among college kids. I think the entire budget was 2 or 3 grand. When the killer tomatoes attacked, someone off-camera rolled regular tomatoes down the street while people screamed and panicked...it was beautiful

One of my favorite obscure movies was The Swimmer with Burt Lancaster, who was an aging Olympic swimmer who had turned into an alcoholic (due to mysterious circumstances). He decided one day to swim the length of the neighborhood he lived in. He had a map of everyone in the neighborhood who had a pool and he mapped a path that would allow him to swim the length of as many pools as possible. He had several things happen to him along the way which made the movie very intriguing and it ended up in the pool of a millionaire who was having a large cocktail party around the pool. It was a tense scene and the reason for Lancaster's alcoholism was made obvious....over all, an outstanding acting performance and a worthwhile movie to see.

I have more......

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
10 posted 2002-10-07 01:53 PM

Chris, I only saw evil dead two but what a movie, some great scenes.
"let's head on down into that cellar and carve ourselves a witch".

Sharon, I love good black comedies, I am going have to see if I can track it down.

Michael, I have always wanted to see killer tomatoes. It sounds like the kind of film Ed Wood would be proud of.

Oh just remembered the Butcher boy, there is a great irish black comedy.

El riesgo vive siempre!

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

11 posted 2002-10-07 02:23 PM

Big Night
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Fitzcaraldo
Election
Pleasantville
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Train of Life
Bowfinger

and, sadly, I think ...
Moonlight Mile (sigh --
go see this movie, people!)

Sharon: Party's ovah! *starts lawnmower*

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

12 posted 2002-10-07 02:24 PM

Balladeer,
That's based on the short story of the same name
by John Cheever.

Go read it. It's mind-blowing.
(as is all of Cheever's stories)

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
13 posted 2002-10-07 03:43 PM

"This is my BOOM STICK!"  hahahaha!

I don't know if they're cult films, but I love Clue and Young Frankenstein.  I've seen both movies a hundred times, and my copies warble they've been played so much.

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
14 posted 2002-10-07 03:43 PM

Oh wait wait!  Big Trouble in Little China!!
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2002-10-07 04:12 PM

Harold and Maude
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
16 posted 2002-10-07 04:24 PM

Recent?  [since 1960's] Mosquito Coast; The Graduate; Lord of the Flies; Somewhere in Time; Devil's Advocate; Sixth Sense; Shawshank Redemption; Excaliber; Days of Wine & Roses; any Clint Eastwood movie;...just a few.  I will get back to you on pre-1960's...

but I have to admit, fix me a bowl of buttered popcorn with Pepsi on the side, and I'm your date!

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (10-07-2002 04:28 PM).]

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
17 posted 2002-10-07 04:56 PM

Mikey,
Big night I saw trailers for it, looks promising,
I haven't seen Y Tu Mama Tambien, I think my brother has though... the title sounds familiar.
Fitzcaraldo, Army of Darkness (i really want to see it) Train of Life, Bowfinger, Moonlight Mile i have n't seen.
Election and Pleasantville are both great.

Nicole, haven't seen either. Though I want to see Young Frankenstein, it's supposed to be Mel Brook's best film other than the producers. "I am hysterical, I am wet and now I am in pain."
Big Trouble in Little China, I remember seeing that years ago. Aw 80's films.

Karen, Harold and Maude? haven't seen that nor have I heard about. Are you making film titles up now? lol

Karilea, the popcorn is in the mircowave, and there is plenty of space on that sofa, roll the film.

Devil's Advocate, it was ok...ruined a bit by Card board Keana Reeves. Pacino was great
though.
Sixth Sense, good flick. If you enjoyed that, rent "the others" a really great film.
Shawshank Redemption amazing,
Excaliber many an irish cast, irish director so I have to say it is good.. a bit trippy though.

On the subject of 60's upwards,
Taxi driver, raging bull, easy rider, Apoc. now (did anyone else think the redux weakened the film's impact) Bladerunner,
Brazil (i have to mention it again.. It is based on 1984, by Terry Gilliam, if you don't mind films that are a bit strange see it), Clockwork Orange, Miller's crossing, Barton Fink, Fight club, Magnolia, Once upon a time in America (possibly the finest 4 hr film ever, though there is not much competition.)

To die for, Sharon if you like black comedies you should like this.

El riesgo vive siempre!

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
18 posted 2002-10-07 04:59 PM

Oh yeah, Dr Strangelove or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb
"Gentlemen you can't fight here, this is the war room."
Also A shadow of a doubt, one of Hitchcocks finest not too well known films.  

El riesgo vive siempre!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

19 posted 2002-10-07 05:13 PM

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/5862/harold.htm

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
20 posted 2002-10-07 05:13 PM

Gregory Peck films - primarily, To Kill a Mockingbird; Roman Holiday...

Lee Remick Films...

Dial M for Murder...

most Hitchcock films...

I'll be back...is the butter ready?

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
21 posted 2002-10-07 06:18 PM

Karen, was kidding I know Harold and Maude is a film, haven't seen the link has me interested.

Karilea, we were not big into butter on our popcorn over here so you are gonna have to bring your own. Speaking of Hitchcock, I have Rear window, Psycho, Vertigo, rope, Saboteur , shadow of a doubt, so pop by any time before 1 am GMT. My house is on that little island opposite to the country where the queen lives. You can’t miss it… Just ask for the poet for who taught Seamus Heaney how to write, he gets the fame and awards what do I get…Nothing.

El riesgo vive siempre!

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

22 posted 2002-10-07 09:59 PM

Hemo the Magnificent  
I believe Frank Capra was the director...

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
23 posted 2002-10-08 05:46 PM

All o' th' Evil Dead trilogy. Duuuuuh. I have a plaster statue of Ash in my room (with a Celtic Princess Barbie on a gold leash ).

your tongue's like poison
so swollen it fills up my mouth

rs

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
24 posted 2002-10-09 12:41 PM

Oh, wow!!! I had forgotten the greatest cult film in the history of film...THE DARK BACKWARD!!! I could not believe this movie while I was watching it, could not believe I was watching it and could not believe I couldn't stop watching it!!! It is by far the strangest movie I have ever seen. Great stars...Bill Paxton, Judd Nelson, Rob Lowe, James Caan, Wayne Newton...with a plot that is insane. Paxton and Nelson are garbage men always looking for ways to get rich. Nelson works occasionally at stand-up comedy and has never gotten a laugh in his life. One morning he begins to grow a third arm - in the middle of his back! Paxton, his partner, sees this as a way to get rich and manages to book him on television. The movie includes digging around in the garbage to eat thrown-away food, an orgy with two 600 pound ladies (have your barf bag on full alert) and various other scenes that are mind-boggling. The photography is sensational, along the lines of BRAZIL.

After remembering this film, I did a search on it and came up with the following comments of other viewers.....

"one of the greatest movies i ever seen. this movie is not for the people who are offended easy. it have disturbing images. anyway the acting was great. everybody played their role superb. the movie is about one guy being nice and truthfull while everybody around him greedy and hard to deal people. it show us the human nature on a whole new level. it shows our world on a cult level. and what are actually people really are. it shows a disturbing world that we think is unreal and stupid without knowing that we actually live in the same one without seeing it.

the movie have it all. comedy and drama are going together with the cult feeling. This is a great movie that only cult fans will understand. people who have feelings and see outside the box. see it to believe it."
-------------------------------------------------

"Do yourself a favour . . .
. . . and never, ever see it. Now, I've been watching bad scifi movies for years. I love watching bad scifi movies. I think that was the only reason I could watch this movie the whole way through. I was toughened up by "Nukie," "Indian Superman," and that awful "Fantastic Four" movie, just to name some examples. Usually, I have to beat my head against the wall after I've seen a bad movie to make some of the pain go away. No, not with this one. With "TDB," I had to hit myself in the head with a shoe in the middle of the movie. Temporary fix. I can't believe I wanted to see that. I cried. When it finished, I cried. It was horrible. It was worse than when I saw *shudders* Wil Wheaton in his underwear in "The Curse," which, by the way, never watch either. Aside from the fact that Wesley Crusher's in his tighty whiteys, it's just sooo bad. But this review is about "TDB." The worst part about it is that someone wrote this movie and said, "This deserves to go on film! It's great!" and Wayne Newton, Rob Lowe, and everyone else in the cast said, "Oh, this is what I want on my film history!" I'll watch "Indian Superman" until the cows come home, but I am never going to see this steaming pile of dren again."
--------------------------------------------------

"Bizarre, yet oddly compelling...
Wow, what can you say about a movie that features necrophilia (implied), 3 600+ pound women in lingerie, everything covered with a layer of dirt, slime, goo, etc., and Wayne Newton??

This movie is definately not going to appeal to everyone. In fact, when I pop this baby into the VCR for my friends, it's about a 50/50 split on love/hate. I mainly got it becuase the makeup effects were done by Tony Gardner.

Admittedly, there are a few places the movie drags no, but overall I enjoyed this movie about a garbageman by day, a terribly unfunny comedian by night, who grows a third arm (on his back no less). Bill Paxton is great as his trashy/opportunistic buddy and the scene of him in bed with 3 extremely large womn in lingerie....has to be seen to be believed...

Another of those in my video collection that I'm careful about showing to friends...that whole love/hate thing and all..."
-----------------------------------------------------

"A friend warned me that this was the worst movie he had ever seen. I was curious, because it had developed a bit of a cult status. I like a lot of odd indie cult movies so I gave it a shot. I have to agree with my friend. It is a steaming pile of dung. I am sorry to the people who love this movie, but I can recommend much better stuff if you want to watch a twisted indie cult film. Try Peter Jackson's Dead Alive (aka Braindead), Cemetery Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore) , or Modern vampires"
---------------------------------------------------

"The Dark Backward" (starring Judd Nelson, Bill Paxton, Wayne Newton, James Caan and Rob Lowe) is SUCH a dark and creepy comedy, I personally think it set its own grotesque standard of cinematic excellence when it premiered to no particular acclaim in 1991.

Any summary of "The Dark Backward" is practically impossible without divulging what may be considered "spoilers," as the film is comprised of one macabre, revolting and fascinating scene after another. I will, therefore, exercise the utmost restraint. The story revolves around a cast of abysmal characters, notably "Marty" and "Gus" (Nelson and Paxton), a pair of garbage men who aspire to reach the glamour of Hollywood and its riches. Problem is, Marty is positively the WORST standup comedian in the universe, and Gus is a revolting PIG of a human being. Their path to fame and fortune is thus fraught with obstacles, as you can well imagine. Until, that is, unkind Fate hands Marty a truly BIZARRE anatomical windfall. Our intrepid garbage men are then swept up in a rush of cheesy appearances in cheesier venues, managed by the cheesiest talent agent of all time (played to perfection by Wayne Newton). James Caan makes a surprising appearance as Marty's less-than-capable physician, and an almost unrecognizable Rob Lowe hams his role as the Hollywood talent scout who offers to make the boys' fondest dreams come true.

Overall, "The Dark Backward" is BEYOND weird and BEYOND tragicomical, as it draws the viewer into a surreal world of pathetic hopes, dashed dreams, remarkable characterizations and a number of dark, riveting images that will NOT leave your memory any time soon, I can promise you.

I admit that I am a fan of Bill Paxton, and any commentary I render on this movie is necessarily colored by my admiration of the fellow and his astonishing performances. For the Paxton lover, "The Dark Backward" is a tour de force of WILD BILL, with the accent on WILD.... Paxton's role as "Gus" is stunningly, shockingly, embarrassingly GROSS, and I confess that I love it more than his portrayal of the vampire "Severen" in "Near Dark." Frankly, if the two characters, Severen and Gus, sat down to dinner together, I guarantee you that Severen would become ill watching Gus eat. "

"i saw this when it first came out, and was like "what the f**k??" yet at the same time i was intrigued by it. judd nelson, wayne newton, and a third arm? wow. plus adam rifkin's style was so unusual, with his bizarre focus on blump's (squeezable bacon? yum) and the kitty clock. i pitied judd nelson's character, for having such a sad existence, with a friend that would b.s. him about his (non-existent) comedic abilities.

the movie didn't change my life or anything, but i can honestly say that i have yet to see any other movie like it"

Hey, Brian, let's face it. With reviews like these how can it not be one of the greatest cult films of all times??????  

[This message has been edited by Balladeer (10-09-2002 12:45 AM).]

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
25 posted 2002-10-09 01:39 AM

Hmmm, so many to choose from,

Roger and Me, The Big One and Canadian Bacon - Three great films by Micheal Moore...can't wait to see Bowling For Columbine- his latest film

Pi has been mentioned already but I'd like to add the director's sophmore film Requiem for a Dream...fantastic film.

The Evil Dead series along with all the other Dead series like Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Revenge of the Living Dead and so on.

Vampire's Kiss with Nicholas Cage.

Iron Cross, with James Cogburn and Maximillian Schell.

"the films of Jan Svankmajer (i'll be well impressed if anyone knows any of his films)."

Didn't he direct and pen "The Idiots" about a group who pretends to be mentally challenged and are all around "s" disturbers and another film about a family getting together at their parents house for an aniversary..actually I think it was called "The Anniversary"...I dunno, I could have my names muddled.

Mad Max and The Road Warrior...classic Apocolyptic movie that spawned far too many copy cats.

Hardware....another classic down under film.

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 ...I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet.

Dark Days, excellent Documentary about a community that used to live in the subway tunnels of NY City.

Treed Murray...recent Canadian film about a business man trapped in a tree by a gang.

Conan the Barbarian - the film that started the Arnie phenom.

Barfly - Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway in a semi-bio about Bukowski.

Top of the Food Chain - Kudos to anyone who has seen or heard of this one. It is a true hidden gem. Such a hilarious spoof of the 50's sci-fi genre.

The Imposters - Stanley Tucci's 30's style comedy set aboard a cruise ship. Starring everyone who was in Big Night.

Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer...chilling movie.

Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and of course Jay and Silent Bob - Kevin Smith.

The Dinner Game and The Closet - Two great French Comedies, the first about a dim-witted man who becomes the unsuspecting joke for a cruel dinner party that awards its guests for bringing the biggest idoit and the second a film about a man who has to pretend to be homosexual in order to keep his job.

The Colour of Paradise - A marvelous Iranian film about a blind child and his father's plight of feeling burdened by this child. Gauranteed to bring a tear of two to anyone whose not made of tin or wood.

The original Planet of the Apes - Far surpasses the silly glitzy treatment of the remake...poor Tim Burton...but I do like all his other films which are classics in their own right.

Well I could go on for hours about all the great indie and lesser known gems out there...I'll take these ones anyday over a sequel to The Fast and the Furious or another Van Wilder....say, I'm I alone in absolutely hating this movie? Everyone I've talked to loved it but I can't stand it...okay, the doggy filled donuts was kinda funny but the rest...am I the only one who didn't laugh throughout the majority of the movie?

One more before I go...The Producers.

ANyways, thanks, great to relive some of my fav, movie moments of the past.

Trevor

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
26 posted 2002-10-09 02:22 AM

OH! How could I forget Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers???

Cult films are fun. Half of them are b-movie status, and the other half just twist your brain at odd angles. All in all, good stuff.

And to add a very recent release that I know exists (only) as a cult following at least in my city...

Death to Smoochy.

No, there is no accounting for this grrl's taste.

Time will tell with One Hour Photo, so ask me again in a year, k?

rs

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
27 posted 2002-10-09 02:25 AM

Oh, and I don't know if I'm weird or what... But I don't look at the Jay and Bob movies to be cult following. Clerks most definitely was. But here (who KNOWS about other places in the world), all of Kevin Smith's movies are now more or less pop culture staples. EXCEPT Clerks, because it's a lot more difficult to get into.

I just love how brazenly open Kevin Smith is in the way he writes; the way the words keep on rolling in these weird ways that you didn't think people would ever actually talk like... It's snarky and witty and stupid and insightful and oh so crude all at once.

View Askew movies are treasures. But way too mainstream here to be cult.

rs

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
28 posted 2002-10-09 02:58 AM

Speaking of - he has another one coming out, according to the paper. No telling who will be in it, but i'm stoked as Smith said he wasn't going to be making any more movies.

Surprise has me right now, as no one's mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show!!! That HAS to be the ultimate cult flick of all times, serious.

I still say the Evil Dead series is the best though... you get to see a guy not only cut off his own possessed hand, but watch as it beats the crap out of him, flings rude gestures in his direction - the monologue there between Ash and his disembodied hand? CLASSIC!

Others:

Krull - Sci-fi fantasy at it's, uh, best?

Labryinth - David Bowie acting? Come on, a gimme.

The Princess Bride (Though this might be more mainstream, i don't know)

Akira - Japanese anime truly begins here.

Heathers - well, if you havent' seen it, i won't tell you, lol.

I too could go on for days... the worst part is that i have most of these movies.

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
29 posted 2002-10-09 11:15 AM

it'd have to be Blade Runner, or Koyaanisqatsi... in my opinion... nobody's seen those?

And Deer?  Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was brilliant.  

Parasite

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
30 posted 2002-10-09 11:37 AM

TRAINSPOTTING!!

'nuff said.

"It is far more difficult to murder a phantom than a reality." - Virginia Woolf

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

31 posted 2002-10-09 12:34 PM

THE GOONIES!
(one of my favs of all time,
despite all reasons, obvious,
as to why I shouldn't love it
as much as I do)

Why do you think I went from Mike to Mikey,
eh?

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
32 posted 2002-10-09 01:27 PM

Michael, WOW I want to see that movie, going to have to search it out. It sounds like my kind of film, sounds very cronenberg.

Trevor, Svankmajer is a surrealist animator from Prague, made Faust and Alice. Uses puppets, clay, household objects, he is like a the David LYnch of animation. His best film was probably Faust or Dimesions of dialogue. Most of the other films I don't know. Boy I am starting to feel uneducated.
Oh If you are a tIm Burton fan get the Nightmare before Christmas speciald edition dvd. IT has two of tim burton's early films, Vincent (animated) and Frankenweenie (live action).

Anvrill, I can't wait to see One HR photo, Mall rats was a great movie. I look the smokie and the bandit line.

Chris, Labryinth and Heathers great movies, if you want to see David Bowie act, then watch  "The man who fell to earth" it makes no sense and Bowie looks coked off his brain, throughout which makes it a classic.
Also if you liked Akira, see Ghost in the SHell. It is way better, in my mind.

Parasite, I think Bladerunner was mentioned. If not why not.

Anon, TRAINSPOTTING, forgot about that one.

Mikey, been ages since I saw the Goonies,was on tv a while ago.

Another one, Dark City. The matrix  as an intelligent film noir. It predates the Martix, and even though the Martix is great, this has more substance. It is directed by the Alex Pyroas. Made the crow, it is amazing what he can do with a good script.

El riesgo vive siempre!

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
33 posted 2002-10-09 02:49 PM

I, personally, don't consider Labyrinth cult either. (Boy, I'm a party pooper!)

When I grew up, every kid I knew watched and loved Labyrinth. I admit, it's a bit cultish for me to still worship the movie now that I'm legally an adult. (Though I will never emotionally become one of those; I refuse!) And Bowie can act! It's just that Labyrinth wasn't his best representation.

Jim Henson was just looking for any rock star to fill that role, and Bowie happened to land in it. Which is awesome, because the movie couldn't have been the same without his songs.

Oh, and Rocky Horror Picture Show to me just exists naturally. It's not a cult movie, it's not even a movie, it's just part of life!

I'm terrible, I know.

K, going back to Bowie (and Susan Sarandon!), I can't believe I forgot this one.

The Hunger.

It's got limited appeal, even for a cult movie.

Opens with a "live" performance of Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus, where most of it is spent as a closeup of Peter Murphy's eerie eyes. True, it's not as melodramatic a performance as anything else Bauhaus has ever done, but it is creepy as all hell.

Then we've got Bowie and Catherine Deneuve (is that spelled right) playing vampires. And Susan Sarandon is a doctor studying aging who gets sucked into the whole thing when Bowie's long long years start creeping up on him.

Bowie gets practically top billing, but he's out of the movie halfway through.

It's a mind trip, but a delicious one.

I've gotta find a place that sells this! I'm hurting my wallet by going back to rent it all the time.

Ah well.

rs

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

34 posted 2002-10-09 05:14 PM

I just want to break in on what Lori's saying long enough to add

THANK GOD FOR THE LEGAL DEFINITION OF ADULT!

Otherwise, I'd be worried about myself.

Um....

onward?

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
35 posted 2002-10-09 05:30 PM

I love that song by Bauhaus.

Thought of more films, Belle du Jour
by Luis Buñuel. Anvrill’s mention of Catherine Deneuve, reminded me of Belle De Jour. She is the elad star. Bunuel also made Un chien Adulou (sp?) with Dali. Now there was a cult film, completely surreal. but back to Belle De Jour, it is about a woman turns to prostitution to fulfil her erotic desires. It focuses on her boredom with her affulent  and safe life and her desire to break free, and conflict between the two. Unlike a Hollywood take on the story, there is little direct eroticism. Also by the same director
Le Charme Discret de la Bourgeoisie.

What else M by Fritz Lang,
Strike and Battleship Potemkin by Sergi Eisenstein. Dziga Vertov's Man with a movie camera. Citizen Kane, The exorcist. The list goes on and on............

More Leon,  Velvet Goldmine, I shot Andy warhol, 1984, American psycho,

The dukes of hazzard reuniuon..no that wasn't cult that was just crap.

El riesgo vive siempre!

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
36 posted 2002-10-10 01:26 PM

I love everything by Bauhaus. More movies need to open with 'em!

remember the sound
that could wake the dead
but nobody woke up at all

rs

Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
37 posted 2002-11-08 03:43 PM

LoL obviously I'm bored and I don't think anybody mentioned "Elvira" lmao..sorry..

If at first you don't succeed destroy all the evidence that you tried.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Favourite cult films

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary