navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Passionate About Music
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Passionate About Music Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dark Enchantress
since 1999-07-27
Posts 1258
meet Morgana

0 posted 2002-08-23 05:20 PM

Okay, I'm guessing you can all tell what this post is about. Are you really, really passionate about music? Music has so much power to it.. it can speak to us in times of sorrow and uplift us into inspiration when we just want to freakin' feel good. So, my question is what music are you most passionate about? What really "reaches" you?

Personally, hands down it's Tori Amos. For those of you who don't know who Tori Amos is, she's a singer/pianoist who has been making experimental and moving music since "Little Earthquakes" was released in 1992(actually technically longer than that). She helped me realize a lot of things about myself and about using my voice (both literally and metaphoricl). She has an album called "Scarlet's Walk" that is being released October 29th and a tour this Fall. Needless to say.. I'm excited.

So now it's your turn. Spill it!

"you don't need one of these to let me inside of you" T.A.

© Copyright 2002 Morgana - All Rights Reserved
Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
1 posted 2002-08-23 10:39 PM

Augh, there's too many.......

So thankfully I've been operating in "kicks" for the past two years. A band will catch my attention and make me forget most other bands exist for a month or so, then I move on. Yes, I still have my favourites, which are just the ones I stay devoted to throughout this whole weird up and down.

My current kick consists of two bands, actually. Both Canadian alt-rock that were really big about five or six years ago, and still exist now and radio play, and have put out recent albums (just not nearly as succesful as their earlier ones).

Moist and The Tea Party.

David Usher (lead of Moist) is pitch black desperation and angst incarnate, where even his softest or most manic songs still have this spiteful edge. That was when he was in Moist, at least. He's calming down now; I think Moist was killing him, and it's such a relief to listen to his solo albums.

The Tea Party is this almost religious experience. Rock and roll angst as dark as it comes, with these deep, hypnotic vocals and mythically romantic scopes. The most passionate music, taking influence from the mid-east and from Celtic stylings and even Russian, and making it alllllll their own. And always oh so delicious. Yum....

Anyway, yeh. Canadian guys with black hair and their own bands are doin' good by me right now.

i'll be waiting for you
do exactly what you're told

jm

paper doll
since 2002-08-04
Posts 133
Floating on Uncertainty
2 posted 2002-08-23 11:21 PM

Sarah McLachlan. Her music is so calming and speaks to me on so many different levels. There's an unspoken power behind her words that you've just got to take notice of. I love her.

Ani Defranco, especially the song 32 Flavours. Another powerful songwriter that can't get out of my head. Currently I'm into the more calming music to, well, calm me down.

A lot of my heavy metal bands make regular appearences on the music list but today they can be omitted.

I tend to write a lot of my own music for the piano and then fit the lyrics to it so I ususally need to be in a calm state of mind of I'll bang the keys in frustration.

Imagination=nostalgia for the past, the absent; it is the liquid solution in which art develops the snapshots of reality.

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
3 posted 2002-08-29 01:49 AM

"Are you really, really passionate about music?" DO I really need to answer yes or no to this?

"So, my question is what music are you most passionate about?" Let me think on this for a bit... I have so many possible answers...

Me love music. Hellya.

Sincerely,
Titus

"I'll prepare myself, and one day my time will come."
            -Abraham Lincoln

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

4 posted 2002-08-29 11:45 AM

Let's it put this way -- I can't even be on the computer without a CD playing in the background. I can't fall asleep without something rushing me off to dreams. I can't properly wake up without a dose of wondrous noise pumping into my head.

It's more than just a passion. Sometimes, at down times, it feels like life support.

Mike

Dark Enchantress
since 1999-07-27
Posts 1258
meet Morgana
5 posted 2002-08-29 09:51 PM

Life support sounds perfect for description.

"you don't need one of these to let me inside of you" T.A.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Passionate About Music

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary