navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Are staph (sp. error) infections catchable?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Are staph (sp. error) infections catchable? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
the_loner_23
Member Ascendant
since 2002-06-08
Posts 5479
Jacksonville, Florida, USA

0 posted 2002-07-19 12:44 PM

If their are any nurses or doctors here I would like to know. Because some of my family members have come in contact with a little boy who has one.

Cold hands means a warm heart

© Copyright 2002 the_loner_23 - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2002-07-19 03:01 PM

My mother was in the hospital a couple of years ago and developed a staph infection. We weren't even allowed to go into her room without putting on plastic hospital gloves.

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
2 posted 2002-07-19 03:29 PM

Julie - I am not a nurse, but I believe staph is an airborne disease and the reason why a mask and gloves are needed when visiting with him. If you are concerned, you should call your doctor.

It's nasty if you get this and can be extremely difficult to get rid of. Marti

"Even if life is full of thorns, I still embrace it for I know that in between those thorns, there is a rose worth all the pain."

rascalx
since 1999-08-25
Posts 590
Florence, SC, USA
3 posted 2002-07-19 03:32 PM

Yes, very much so unfortunately. Most staph infections are reasonably harmless (no worse than getting a cold) but there are some serious "bugs" out there, so your best bet is to avoid catching them.
ThunderMage
since 2002-06-20
Posts 812
Canada
4 posted 2002-07-19 04:33 PM

I know what colds are like. I can catch a cold on the hottest summer days.

What is life without poetry and adventure?
"Little sister" is just another way of saying "Guardian Angel"!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2002-07-20 07:46 AM

Staph infections can be contagious, and hard to get rid of.  Say you have a cut around your nails, a paper slice, for example.  If close enough to the nail, and not taken care of properly, it can infect and damage the skin and nail, even to the point of losing the nail.  It takes some powerful antibiotics to rid one of a staph infection, so if you have any questions whatsoever, I would suggest you get to your family physician for a checkup.

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
6 posted 2002-07-20 10:41 AM

Julie

Before you get all "hyper" about staph Infections, it may be helpful to know which one you have come in contact with....they can be as common as a cold, a sty, or a boil....some are "common staph infections" --others are more serious.....with the more common, a good dose of medicine can take care of them....meaning if the child has been taking medication they can still spread infection, but not likely........either way Id find out what kind of infection and go from there, although there are some very serious Staph Infections, I would say you are probably OK....

Lauren~

The ocean looks like a thousand diamonds strewn across a blue blanket
I lean against the wind pretend I am weightless and in this moment I am happy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Are staph (sp. error) infections catchable?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary