navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Do the EYES have it?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Do the EYES have it? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2002-06-27 10:13 PM

Do you believe in love at first sight? Can you look into someone's eyes for the first time and fall utterly in love?

© Copyright 2002 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2002-06-27 10:16 PM

That has happened to me SO many times--then? the next morning? I looked at their EYELIDS...and fell promptly OUT of love!

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2002-06-27 10:23 PM

I am hoping to find adventure when I travel this fall - I've never fallen at first sight and wondered, if I met someone, could I?
songsoftheaftermath
since 2002-06-19
Posts 84
a world of disarray
3 posted 2002-06-28 02:16 AM

i dont believe in 'love at first sight' cuz its plainly not true. there can only ever be 'LUST' at first sight.
i think, to TRULY love someone, you have to know them inside out and Love THAT holistically. and not do you have to love that, THEY have to love you in the very same way. that's love. there's no other substitute.

could the darkness be my friend?

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

4 posted 2002-06-29 04:17 PM

It all depends what y' want in a relationship, ah guess.

These smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun.
-RHCP

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

5 posted 2002-06-29 04:17 PM

Where y' goin' this fall? Hope y' have fun!

These smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun.
-RHCP

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
6 posted 2002-07-01 04:55 PM

yes. . .

---------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Match
since 2002-07-01
Posts 286
Canada Edmonton
7 posted 2002-07-01 05:17 PM

Love at first sight is possible .... well thats what I belive at least

Do I dare to look at whats really there,
Will I be burned?
I cant see past all the pain and tortiure that goes on in the places we call,
home.
~Az

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
8 posted 2002-07-04 09:06 AM

Songsoftheaftermath says
“i think, to TRULY love someone, you have to know them inside out ”

Human nature is such that you can never know any one (frankly not even yourself) inside out. Simple reason is you can never even be true to yourself... needs change with time, philosophy of life changes like seasons and so on...

Then how are you going to be true to another that completely. Sorry that’s ho humans are. That’s how they will be.

Coming back to “Love at first sight”, yeah sure it happens….

Don’t people look at a car  or a house or a cat or a dog and say "I love it/him/her, though I don’t yet know entirely why, but I want to find out".

This affection is not lust, it is an attraction that emanates from a plain desire to get closer to that object/pet ... it is the same between men and women, men and men and women and women too...

So Love at first sight is definitely possible, but how long the honeymoon will last is something totally different.

my 10 eurocents...
regards,
sudhir

songsoftheaftermath
since 2002-06-19
Posts 84
a world of disarray
9 posted 2002-07-04 10:53 AM

Sudhir
quote:
Human nature is such that you can never know any one (frankly not even yourself) inside out.

ok. so you're basically saying that getting to know someone as intimately as being able to calculate their next move is impossible. that you could never have a friendship as close as being able to look into that other persons soul?
sure ppl are chaning...the WORLD is dynamic. expecting ppl and the world to remain constant is being nieve.  i agree with you- ppl are dynamic and thought patterns and feelings change. but i disagree with you strongly when you say that you could never attain that higher level of friendship with a person. differences and change is what keeps a relationship interesting and refreshing- even turbulent somewhat...but it doesnt keep you from getting to know the person as intimately as knowing them fully. have you ever attained that level of trust in someone Sudhir? to the point where they dug right into their souls and told you EVERYTHING- even if they never meant to tell a soul? its when that happens that you realise that you know them as well as you know the lines on the back of your hand. have you ever had a REALLY best friend? one whom you shared your darkest moments with- your happiest moments with..one whom you cried with- though your pride would otherwise NEVER let you show you in a weakened state with anyone else? THAT'S how ppl get to know each other as intimately as being able to say that they know each other completely.
sure ppl change...ive said that before...and as those ppl change- you discover more to them then you had before. its a good thing...but it isnt impossible.

Sudhir,
quote:
Don’t people look at a car  or a house or a cat or a dog and say "I love it/him/her, though I don’t yet know entirely why, but I want to find out".

erm. i shake my head with vigor at that! it seems as though youre content with diluting the purity of love down to the attributes of a "crush". it sounds like something out of a teen flick. i dont mean to undermine your intelligence Sudhir, but that statement seems pretty petty.
think of it this way- Love would be the opposite of Hate, right? if you saw something for the first time- say a rubber band...and you had NEVER seen that rubber band before in your life. you'd seen some like it...but never one like this. with your previous encounters with like rubber bands, you have an immeadiate aversion towards it- would you attribute that feeling to intense hate? enough to call it Hate? (here im assuming that with the statement 'Love at first sight', that we're talking about pure love...and not diluted crush love..and thus we're talking about Hate as well and not petty hate)

it wouldnt make much sense if you put it into that context to Hate something so intensely when you hardly know it. sure ATTRACTION is something...but THAT is ALL that it is- attraction. not Love.

Love is lasting...when you know the person entirely enough to want to STAY with that person...believe me...youre LONG married to the person before you even get to put a wedding band around that person's finger to even worry about your honeymoon ending.

i hope you find TRUE Love Sudhir.

could the darkness be my friend?

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
10 posted 2002-07-04 12:02 PM

Hi there,

Firstly, I don't want this to be a debate... just gave my op.. but anyway...

Knowing some one inside out is not the same as having a great long lasting unparalleled friendship with someone.

Often I have found that I cannot be honest with myself, so how can I expect anybody to honestly know me so completely or even the reverse to exist.

In my honest opinion, the depth of love doesn't come from knowing a person inside out, but from trusting the person more than anything else, and believing that your trust will be fully repaid with equivalent trust.... I have lived through 28 years, most of them happily, with lots of acquaintances, good friends, and great friends amongst others...

Though I need not, I think I should answer your questions: have you ever had a REALLY best friend?
one whom you shared your darkest moments with- your happiest moments with..
one whom you cried with- though your pride would otherwise NEVER let you show you in a weakened state with anyone else?

yes, yes and yes. (and I still have my set of best friends... they also come in multiple numbers sometimes)

"Love as the opposite of hate"... this is only true in grammar books. Ever wondered of all the wonderful shades betwee black and white... well, not that colourful, but certainly in that direction, lie the emotions  between love and hate, like and dislike, affinity and repulsion, curiosity and disinterest and so on...

and by the way I love rubber bands all of them, because they intrigue me... it took me about 5 years to figure that out.... by then I learnt to tie them up like strings and make little dolls out of colourful rubber bands... childhood lets you do may things...

well, I have reservations about the use and misuse of 'true love'... what does it mean... does it mean long-lasting love in togetherness (I don't think so) or (according to me) a feeling of extreme affection due to which one person is committed (by his/her heart) to do whatsoever he/she could to keep his/her lover happy. It is the ultimate sacrifice to make one's life to be useful for the other's happiness.

You don't have to be with someone to be in love with that person either. I hope you agree to that. If not, well, it is fine by me. Because, just like me you are entitled to your opinion.

Thanks for your wishes, though I wish love finds me and if it doesn't, okay, fine by me too.

My best regards to you,
Sudhir
P.S. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2002-07-04 11:49 PM

I think I understand you, Sudhir...there is some sort of energy transference. I met ONE of my former boyfriends, in this manner--

I sat behind him, on one of those elevated steps...my table slightly above his--his table and party were directly in front of me. Not one minute after I sat? He whirled around to look at me--which startled me--and I asked, "Did I kick you or something?" And he answered, "No--I just felt your presence." Then the eye contact, etc. and the natural course of things...but my point is--that  romantic love begins with a "crush"...sometimes I think that the word "crush" is used to minimize a love that didn't work out.

Sudhir? Not only do you have "eurocents" to offer---you have euro-sense!

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
12 posted 2002-07-06 02:34 AM

Love at first sight... Possibly. It's a subject that is wide open for interpretation, isn't it?
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
13 posted 2002-07-06 03:45 AM

Absolutely not.

Lust?  Sure.  Not love.

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
14 posted 2002-07-06 05:40 AM

dunno..what happens when you fall in love with the voice and the heart first..before you ever see them? *sigh* I know those eyes had something though...

I will not bend to the cowardice of a silent judgement.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Do the EYES have it?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary