navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » ParkingLots
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic ParkingLots Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
buckysimone
since 2003-10-19
Posts 27

0 posted 2003-12-03 11:17 AM

Parking lots
Of Empty hearts
Robotic minds unrest
And through the silhouettes
Silhouettes of uncertain lies
Dead roses and tattered paintings
Waxy fingers and toes
Walking like a babies beginning
Off-centered by salty pasts
Think alike
Through thick and thin
Mechanical minds and childhood dreams
Dreams of industrial futures
Up brings identical beings
Sick and tired
Death and daunting
Halting machines
Completing their stops
A new path, new people
Let's drive
Drive away
This parking lot

© Copyright 2003 buckysimone - All Rights Reserved
Astro
since 2003-01-08
Posts 69
Ca.
1 posted 2003-12-03 12:19 PM

Very stream-of-conscious; I like. The lack of punctuation makes it choppy and difficult to read, but I have a sneaking suspiscion that that's the way you wanted it. Ususally, I detest things that take time to understand; I want the answers now! But, the older I get, the more I appreciate poetry that doesn't give itself easily. You've created a complex poem that is still understandable. It reminds me of some of the themes brought up in Brave New World. Have you ever read your work aloud -- say, at an open mic night? This poem has a type of intrinsic ryhthm that, since the structure doesn't annouce it, has to be spoken aloud to be heard. Just a suggestion.  

Sight is an always awful beginning

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2003-12-03 02:27 PM

It doesn't work for me. This is not what I think of as stream-of-consciousness at all. The short lines may be all right but there is no correlation between them. Each stands alone and introduces an entirely new and disjoint topic. It is more than just a collection of words in that each line bears some meaning. As such, I guess it would be more a collection of unrelated lines.

It might be improved if you made it a little less minimalistic and included some enjambment to help the flow and cohesiveness.

JMHO,

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
3 posted 2003-12-04 11:14 AM

I sorta of liked it.

A few of the early lines I didn't exactly get any intellectual acuity out of, but an emotional response, and the last 2/3s of it hung together pretty linearly I thought.

Take Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot mets Just Another Brick in the Wall, with the clever little turn of words at the end wistfully hoping against hope for a better solution. Some might find that final wordplay a trifle trite but it worked for me.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » ParkingLots

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary