navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Still I Rise
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Still I Rise Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kadafi09
since 2003-06-17
Posts 143
California, United States

0 posted 2003-06-17 09:40 PM

Look into my eyes,
you thought I died,
but still I rise.
Although I cried,
because of your lies,
tonight I ride.
You pushed me away,
and today I still ask why.
My love you did betray,
and for that I cry.
But throughout my life,
still I rise.

© Copyright 2003 Jorge Vega - All Rights Reserved
topsyturveychick
since 2003-01-19
Posts 57
Bris,QLD,Aus
1 posted 2003-06-18 01:05 AM

Heya...it's great to see that even through hurt and pain you have the strength to 'rise up' adn overcome what happened.  Nice work.

I asked God how much he loved me...
He said this much...
And streched out his arms and Died.

**Sunshine**

Ladybug
since 2003-06-17
Posts 236
Massachusetts
2 posted 2003-06-18 10:55 AM

Hi Kada!  I like this poem, it reminds me of Maya Angelou.  One question, the line "tonight I ride." -- I'm pretty sure I know what is intended, but it seems that you should elaborate...on what do you ride?  The word "ride" to me seems to warrant more description, but I could be wrong.  Just my opinion, and I enjoyed the poem overall!

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...

kadafi09
since 2003-06-17
Posts 143
California, United States
3 posted 2003-06-18 03:07 PM

hey ladybug, thankyou for your comments on my poem. in urban culture, gangsters are known as "riders", therefore when I said "tonight I ride" I meant tonight I engage in those activities related to a gangster because the lies of my loved one pushed me away to that life. i hope this explanation helps. thanks again
Ladybug
since 2003-06-17
Posts 236
Massachusetts
4 posted 2003-06-19 08:36 PM

OOOh, that is really cool, thanks for the explanation!  Now, I definitely appreciate the line even more!  I thought perhaps you meant "tonight I ride on my high horse" -- like no one could bring you down, but your meaning is much better than my interpretation.  Great job!

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Still I Rise

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary