navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » 'Cheap Shots"
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic 'Cheap Shots" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

0 posted 2008-08-25 12:42 PM

Just when things start to perk up a bit in this forum, back comes you know who to muck them up with one of his “thinly veiled cheap shots”. How many cheap shots does one person get before they get the boot out the CA door? Just my opinion of course, but doesn’t it seem the nameless one has exceeded his? I’m curious as to why this is allowed to happen over and over again. Maybe a moderator would be so kind as to enlighten me?

© Copyright 2008 JenniferMaxwell - All Rights Reserved
moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

1 posted 2008-08-25 12:52 PM

God Jenn,

Awesome prose poem .

JenniferMaxwell
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

2 posted 2008-08-25 12:59 PM

Thanks, MB. A new form for me, hope I did it ok?

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
3 posted 2008-08-25 01:28 PM

I don't post in the CA, but I read here daily.  I have learned a lot from those who take time to offer well thought-out advice.  I appreciate what they have to offer and spend time thinking about their comments.

When I begin to think that maybe I'll dive in and post a poem for comment, I back off because of the ensuing dialogue.

I was delighted with the direction that Grinch was going in his mud hut lesson - and was dismayed to read the comment that followed it.  If someone is not actively going to participate and offer constructive ideas - then maybe they need to just be silent and learn from those who do have something to offer.

I'd like to think that when I do get the nerve to put one of my poems on this board, I will receive responses that I can understand and that will show resect for the time that I take to write the poem that I post.

We all are learning here.  Maybe comments that are obscure and serve only to dig at others should be placed on another board.  

I realize that I am posting an opinion on a board that I have not yet posted on - but I read here daily.  I support it and would like to see everyone respected.

Alison

JenniferMaxwell
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

4 posted 2008-08-25 01:52 PM

Alison, you are a dear heart and I love your poetry. You have a keen eye for observation, a delicate and very sensitive way of expressing yourself and your dedication to learning new forms is to be commended. I’d love to see you posting in CA.

Just want you to know, I’ve got your back. Anyone messes with you in CA and they’re going to have to listen to one of my rants.

I thank you for your post. Grinch, Moonbeam, BobK, Oceanvu2 and others have so much to offer and are so generous with their time and comments. To see them repeatedly attacked because someone has a childish grudge is really, really disheartening. Time for the mods to step up to the plate and do their job.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
5 posted 2008-08-25 03:26 PM

Jennifer, if I am at a forum that what I write has to be approved by you I am ready to be a martyr , Cause

you certainly have begged for me to be booted. My dear lady what rule did I break ?

Or is it you just don’t want any Rubesters here ?

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
6 posted 2008-08-25 03:47 PM

Wow, a lynching - haven’t seen one of those in a while.

Can I be Burt Lancaster, standing outside the gaol house holding back the baying mob?

Can I, can I, ugh, can I.

Occasionally in these forums simple misunderstandings happen, they’re bound to, miscommunication and misinterpretation are inherent in this form of communication. Normally I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, we’re all human after all, though I admit that when it continues to crop up repeatedly even I start to wonder whether it’s an unlucky coincidence of numerous simple misunderstandings or a catalogue of intended digs.

Personally I’m willing to accept the former and see how things go but I think the moderators are probably in a better position to judge in that regard and I’m sure they’ll deal with it as they see fit.

Now if you’ll all just put down those guns and torches and make your way to the saloon in an orderly manner the milky bars are on me. That includes Rubesters btw.

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
7 posted 2008-08-25 04:01 PM

Okay, I'll put the gun down, but the holster stays!  It is looking fine and I think it makes a new fashion statement.

I agree that differences of opinions happen and we all have different ways of communicating our opinions.  Now, I guess I have to put my money where my mouth would be if I were actually speaking on this forum and post a poem for CA.  I'll do it as soon as I write one to share. Why do I suddenly feel like the Cowardly Lion seeking courage?  

A

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
8 posted 2008-08-25 04:23 PM

Go for it Alison, you can be safe in the knowledge that lynchings are pretty rare occurrences - we mostly restrict ourselves to the odd stoning or burning at the stake.

Seriously we’re all a bunch of softies in CA and even a cowardly lion has nothing to worry about.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
9 posted 2008-08-25 05:42 PM

Thanks Grinch, when Allison showed up I was about ready to go out and hang myself  by way of cooperating for the common good.

Anyhow, its been a long time since I was at a good old English milk bar.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
10 posted 2008-08-25 05:45 PM

Hi Jennifer. Are we overreacting just a bit or have I missed something? If I'm thinking of the same comment you are then I have to wonder. If it was a "cheap shot" then it was certainly not very effective. If it was an attempt at humor then it missed the point by a whole bunch. Maybe you saw something I didn't. If so and you are still upset then email me please.

Alison, do come on in and join the fun. I promise no one will hurt you. Well, we do have one ogre who comes around sometimes but even he is pretty much a pussy cat.

Pete

JenniferMaxwell
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

11 posted 2008-08-25 06:48 PM

Grinch, you may be buying the misunderstanding and miscommunication but I’m not drinking. You’re a very kind, very nice person and the last thing I want to do is offend you, but the unlucky coincidences have happened far too often and seem to be directed most often (and repeatedly) at the same individuals.

Fad and Happy were poems deemed by a moderator to be thinly veiled cheap shots directed at CA posters. We were assured something like that wouldn’t be allowed to happen again. Seems to me it has - two playing nice, sucking up poems, then the taunting, teasing, baiting started again.

After I posted my thoughts on Happy, I received email from CA members and other PiPsters who also took the poems as being personal attacks, some saying they were reluctant to, or no longer wanted to post in CA because of those poems or comments in the same vein. Whether the poems/comments are cheap shots or misunderstandings, they’ve certainly been disruptive, turned posters away from CA and that’s why the mods need to step up and deal with it.  

Pete, think I’ve said all I have to say.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
12 posted 2008-08-25 08:16 PM

quote:
Grinch, you may be buying the misunderstanding and miscommunication but I’m not drinking.

I’m not buying anything, except perhaps a few milky bars, I’m just extending my credulity to allow some breathing room in the hope that some sanity breaks out in certain quarters. With the application of a little calm I’m hoping that any future “misunderstandings” can be avoided. If they can’t and the situation continues I’ll be heading west with all the other dead poets faster than you can say Burt Lancaster to take up permanent residence in the Alley.

I might even join you on the Dark side

quote:
the last thing I want to do is offend you

I don’t think that’s likely to happen I‘ve got variable credulity and a fast horse just in case.

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

13 posted 2008-08-26 05:35 AM

To me it's pretty simple:  PiP is packed with other forums where people can post poems of personal opinion and adulation about adored moderators, chat,  gossip, make love, make war, make personal comments overtly, make personal comments covertly via poems, play games, mirror life.

I'm not so naive that I think CA can be insulated from all of that (well not anymore anyway ), and I certainly wouldn't want it to end up as some cheerless mechanical critiquing machine, but it seems to me that there isn't a useful place in a "workshop" forum for poems and comments that have nothing to do with "workshopping" and everything to do with conducting a running commentary about other posters or their methods (whether good or bad).

This is especially the case if such poems and comments disrupt the "main business" of the forum.  If such material is regularly posted by one individual, that individual is liable to be rapidly labelled as someone not really too serious about improving his/her writing; whether the label be "forum joker", "forum troublemaker", "forum defender of the underdog" or whatever, it matters not.  

The point is that everything the person then writes is then viewed through the lens of his/her previous form.  This leads to possible misunderstandings, reciprocal hurt, more misunderstanding, etc.

Sure, there are always going to be disagreements, arguments, personality clashes - it's when these are promoted to main stream currency and become systemic that the ongoing function of the forum, as a poetry workshop rather than just another social chatshop, is in jeopardy.

Having said that, I accept that it's hard in the laissez faire environment which is one of the attractive features of PiP to know when to step in and say enough is enough.

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

14 posted 2008-08-26 05:42 AM

Alison, it would be really great to have you post here, we need people who want to write and critique poetry.

M

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
15 posted 2008-08-26 09:02 AM

Dear Moonbeam, do you want all the writers that post to CA to be formula one writers ? Is there no room for a maverick , for a Rubester. I am not as polished as you ,  I don’t have the poetry know how like Grinch, nor the bedazzlement of Bob. I am not the defender of anyone, nor do I write suck up poetry , I try to be interesting without being boring .

Now you are anyone can go back and carefully read the replies to Brother John’s  ~ Only a shell ~ and see if there was not to much formula one in the replies .

Here are excerpts from the first three replies .

“ I don’t think you’re quite getting what people are saying. If I am honest  , I don’t  really think you’re ever going to get it .”

“ I agree with Grinch “

“ You ask for help but won’t take it when offered. Why the heck  are you ignoring the advice “.

Now read BJ next three replies.

Now read my post preamble and all. I thought it was time for a little different formula.

I don’t have a problem with your formula one replies, but let’s get a wide spectrum of replies.

Btw, I just bought me a guitar at Good Wills and I have to learn to play it by next Saturday night, so no more of ~ whatever, it matters not ~ for awhile ,

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

16 posted 2008-08-26 01:06 PM

Also Alison, don't panic, the Wizard is here in CA apparently
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » 'Cheap Shots"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary