navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Statius' Thebaid
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Statius' Thebaid Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2008-07-20 08:09 PM

This is a translation from the beginning of Statius' great epic, Thebaid.  I appreciate any critique of it as a translation, or just on the wording and expression of the passage itself.

Brotherly strife and altern reign
Fought out with hatefulness profane
And guilty Thebes thus to unwind
Pierian fire befalls the mind.
Whence bid ye go, O Goddesses?
Sing I the rise of this dread race,
Sidonian rapes, Agenor's hest,
Or Cadmus searching seas on quest?
Long back the line: the farmer's yields
Of hidden Mars in faithless fields,
From point to point unfoldingly
To follow out and inwardly,
The song that Tyrian mountains made
To citywalls as Amphion bade,
The malice Bacchus homewards meant,
Harsh Juno's work, for whom was bent
The bow of Athamas' , or why
The mother never feared to die
But leapt with Palaemon would be
To great Ionian waves of sea.
Yet here and now the weal and woe
Of Cadmus I will fain forgo,
Oedipus' troubled house shall be
To this my song the boundary.
Italian signs not yet I aim
Nor of the North's triumphant fame,
How Rhine in yoke was twice begot,
Twice Istor to the laws was brought,
The Dacians thrown from the height
Of conjuration down unlight,
Jove saved from wars in growing youth,
And thou, a treat to Latian truth,
That drawst the doings of thy sire,
That e'er to have is Rome's desire.
Though everyone allow in mind
The stars more narrowly confined,
The shining portion of the heaven
Apart from Boreas and the Seven
And open lightning, edges thee,
Or Phoebus himself heavenly
The firefoot horses' reiner fair
His radiant arc press on thine hair,
Or Jupiter an equal share
Of the great pole for thee prepare,
Yet stay content with human-keep
O power of earth and waters deep!
And as thou mayst within thy might
Give constellations to the height.
Sometime unweaker I will wax
Pierian-fired to sing thy facts!

Notes:

altern: alternating
Pierian: of Pieria,  a home of the muses, hence "of the muses".
And thou: Statius is addressing the Roman Emperor Domitian.  Poetry had lofty audiences back then!
The shining portion (...): the southern part of the sky.
the Seven: the Pleiades

[This message has been edited by Essorant (07-22-2008 02:00 PM).]

© Copyright 2008 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
1 posted 2008-07-23 08:32 AM

Essorant, your timing is just not good. We don’t know much about epics , but we do know sonnets.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

2 posted 2008-07-23 11:08 PM

Dear Essorant,

As a rule I enjoy your translations.  I don't have any Latin, so I can't be of any help to you there.  My understanding is that thee and thy were pretty much back-country usages in Shakespeare's time and were evidence of a certain perceived archaism in speech.  How it got to pilgrims and Quakers, I don't know.  I know your preference for using it.  I believe it is a block to people's access to your generally fine work.  I believe that is the case here.

The verses themselves are unfortunately hard on my ear.  You have put so much work into them I wince at saying so.  But the sort of work you've put in here shows itself strongly, and to my ear it seems unclear whether the lines are strong stress anglo-saxon type lines with some sort of twist to them, or whether they are tetrameter with occasional three foot exceptions.  My ear.  The addition of the rhyming couplets to the mix and the careful and, I believe, deliberate archaism with the thick studding of references to classical mythology gives this poem fragment a forbidding aspect.

If Statius is as good as you say he is, I ask you if the original text posed, other than being in Latin, which most of us do not care to learn, the difficulties that this text poses.  I would find it odd indeed if the meter were anything of this sort at all, which is neither the meter of Statius' time,  nor the meter or diction of our own.  

I am grateful to you for presenting me with a text that I would never have otherwise encountered, Essorant.  And I  thank you for that.

Yours, BobK

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
3 posted 2008-07-24 02:12 AM

Hi Ess!  Well, we've been back and forth enough over your choice of form, so no point belaboring that.

On the other hand, unless I missed a punctuation mark, from "Italian signs" to "water's deep is two sentences over 21 lines...

First, its skillful as always that you can do it, but how does this help the reader follow the complex imagery and allusions?

Second, my own comment above strikes me as silly, like Mozart's patron in the film "Amadeus" complaining that Mozart's music had too many notes.

Is it worth considering a middle ground?

Best, Jimbeaux

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
4 posted 2008-07-24 10:13 PM

Hi Chops:  Re: "We don’t know much about epics , but we do know sonnets."  What is this "we" stuff?  You got a frog in your pocket?

Best, Jimbeauc

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
5 posted 2008-07-24 11:43 PM

No Ocean, its not a frog it just looks like one,  Now don’t be jealous , you’ll

grow up and have one someday.

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

6 posted 2008-07-26 06:12 PM

quote:
And thou: Statius is addressing the Roman Emperor Domitian.  Poetry had lofty audiences back then!

Don't complain Ess!  You have Chopsticks!

Whenever I read your learned translations I feel inadequate and small and generally unqualified to comment "expertly".  All I can say in truth is that they don't inspire me at all.  I marvel at your tenacity and dedication, while all the while wondering why on earth you do it.  When Fiona Sampson was appointed editor of Poetry Review I "groaned in spirit" because she is a maniac for translations.  I've been surprised however at just how much I've enjoyed contemporary eastern European work.  The emphasis is however on "contemporary".  Translations of old texts I simply cannot find appealing, and, shock horror, even Heaney's Beowulf didn't hold me for very long.  So why do some people find what you appear to enjoy so, well, enjoyable?  

Awhile ago I wrote the nonsense below to a friend at university who spent what I considered to be an unreasonable length of time in the library rather than with me.  I still feel the same I think - which probably means I'm shallow and haven't progressed much!

Scholar

And so we go da dum da dum
Until it merges to a hum,
And lulls one to a state of sleep
(Or else induces me to weep).
These iambs of the ancient gods
Could lead to soporific nods
In even those inclined to say
They love the Latination way.
Or is there something noble here
When through the library's gloom we peer?
The sun shafts in through eave high slits,
And motes of learning dance to its
Eternal light.  No cognisance
of this the tomes of tales and rants
in alleys shelved so deep and high
that nothing bright may sanctify
this dead ravine.  And there beside
a flame of wax with inky hide
and splitting quill, the scholar reads,
with valiant strength, of godly deeds
and worthless trials, and how this bow
was shot by him and how this po
tion drunk by her, and cities razed
and cities built, and emperors praised ---
and now all lost to memory.
Or not.  If this the fatigued bee
who totters round the frames of books
can yet extract from hiving nooks
one nuance from the ancient Greek,
(say: Pan is shy instead of meek!).
He keeps alive his queen of hearts
(for surely only Cupid's darts
could fuel this literary passion
keep him bound in such a fashion)
with morsels out of make believe
where brave men die and damsels grieve,
until like Causabon he wakes
one day outside the pearly gates
to find that actually nothing's made,
that everything he did will fade,
because he spent his waking hours
in rearranging long dead flowers.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
7 posted 2008-07-26 06:51 PM

“ Don't complain Ess! You have Chopsticks!”

He does Moonbeam, I admire Essorant and read  all his work.

“A friend at university spent what I considered to be an unreasonable length of time in the library rather than with me.”

Moonbeam, the reason for  that could be your low PH or it could be something else.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
8 posted 2008-07-29 06:49 PM

Thanks everyone for commenting.

Chopsticks,

Thanks for showing up.  But I am not sure what I ought to think about that comment.  Was I supposed to wait for a special signal before I posted?  

Bob,

I enjoy and appreciate your critiques as well.  It is no problem if you don't  know the Latin, for that is not necessary for judging the poetic virtue of a poetic writing/expression.  

About "thou".  I agree, the thou-words,  may be a bit of a "block", but it is easy to overcome by simply learning how to use them.   Whoever knows how to use he/his/him and the inflection -s also knows how to use thou/thine/thee and the inflection -est, for they are the same principle in two different words.  I would rather inspire someone to remove that "block" than give into the weighty bulk of laziness.  

Indeed, the meter (Iambic tetrameter) is much different from Statius' meter.  He used Dactylic Hexameter and a syntax that often breaks one phrase with another.   Consider the below line describing Jupiter entering an assembly of the gods, where the adjective placido "(with) placid" modifies vultu "face", but the two words are put at opposite ends of the line, split by a contrasting phrase in between:

placido       quatiens      tamen   omnia     vultu
with placid   shaking up   however   all things   face

(With placid face, however shaking up all things)

I love how that is done in Latin, but I wouldn't wish to try to make English be Latin and do that.  English has its own traditions and styles.  When writing in English therefore, I generally don't try to imitate the Latin or Greek, but follow the important traditions of the English language.

Sorry the lines were "hard on the ear".  Any suggestions on how I may work them softer?

Ocean

Thanks for sharing your words.  

quote:
On the other hand, unless I missed a punctuation mark, from "Italian signs" to "water's deep is two sentences over 21 lines...

What is wrong with two sentences over 21 lines?

quote:
but how does this help the reader follow the complex imagery and allusions?

It doesn't.  Remember this is a moment of translation, not a "Statius for dummies"           But I may consider adding more footnotes.  

Moonbeam

Thanks for commenting and sharing that poem.  

quote:
Whenever I read your learned translations I feel inadequate and small and generally unqualified to comment "expertly".  

Well, there is no need to treat yourself that way, Moonbeam.   My rough and awkward translation is no reason to belittle yourself.

quote:
So why do some people find what you appear to enjoy so, well, enjoyable?  

I think it mostly comes from three things:

1.  Enjoying and appreciating the greatness of the work itself.  
2.  Studying and appreciating the work in its original language.  
3. And thirdly, understanding that enriching and reinvigorating the art of translating the work shall enrich and reinvigorate the ability for people to experience and be connected with the work.  

Most people don't know the original language, and rely on translations.  The translations therefore are basically their experience and connection to the work.  If it weren't for translations most people wouldn't be able to read many of the greatest works ever written.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
9 posted 2008-07-29 07:27 PM

Ess, I think I can call you that now,  your poem had been on the page going on three days  and I wanted to

read some replies , I believe it worked. Your poem had been passed up to reply to a sonnet and that is

their  right.  

You are the coolest poet at this forum.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

10 posted 2008-07-29 10:08 PM

Dear Essorant,

I think that one would have to look at actual attempts at full length modern epics in English to see how other folks have had a shot at the same sets of issues in order to give a decent answer to your question.  If not actual epics, then at least long poems in English.

Three strands of work seem to apply for consideration.  One  sidesteps the elevation of diction that traditional epic at least sometimes offers.  Pound offers an attempt at the elevation of diction, but seems unable to stick to a particular story.  His skill at his variety of languages seems to me also to stretch the actual notion of epic in ways that don't work particularly well.  

Others seem none the less to have tried to take the epic into the 20th and 21st century by building on the example of Pound.  To throw out any possible technical approaches to translation that might be available as a result of his work and the work of Olsen, Zukovsky and other experimentalists might prove unnecessarily limiting.  While not fond of them myself, they are worth a critical examination and perhaps a technical ransacking.  Their notion of Epic is much more personal than the traditional.

A second source might be  Auden's long work, such as "Letter From Iceland" and "Age of Anxiety," both of considerable formal skill.  Their adaptation traditional form to modern English diction and syntax is very good.
My understanding of Statius' work is that  his stuff in the context of his time would have resembled Auden's in its elegance and fluidity.  (Auden, too, was an anglo-saxon scholar; Auden had to fortune of being able to study with Tolkien).

Yet another strand worth studying would be the strand represented by John Gardner and his Jason and Medea, his novel length verse epic, well worth reading.

What you write can only be written by you, what you translate, can only find its English at your hands, and you are pretty darn good at it.  I think that you restrict your readers with unnecessarily complicated and knotty translations, more difficult than the originals warrant.  To whatever the extent this is accurate, you may be keeping readers from worthy texts, rather than helping to introduce readers to them.  Use of Thee and Thou in texts that don't require them, I believe, blocks potential readers.  

As a perhaps useless question, I've been doing some reading on Homer, and have run across mention of a (?) lost fifth century B.C.E. Greek epic MSS also titled, I think, The Thebaid.  Is your Statius Mss. related to this earlier Greek Mss in some way, or am I off on a wild Greek chase?  My reading has apparently glanced tangentially off some of your interests, and I thought I'd ask somebody who knows more about this sort of stuff than I do.

Best from LA, BobK.

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

11 posted 2008-07-30 04:34 AM

Ess

That's precisely the point.  My shame I guess is in being totally unable to distinguish whether it IS rough and awkward or the most brilliant effort.  Beyond contemporary English my linguistic abilities have always been negligible.

Your three reasons for enjoyment:

I can appreciate I suppose that some people find the work of that age inspiring, personally I don't really find it so.  Maybe paradoxically I can in fact see that read in the original language it might have interest and nuances that add dimensions which those who can't read the language would miss to the severe detriment of enjoyment.  Which I suppose means that I can sort of see why a translator would feel inspired to try and bring those tones to a wider audience.  Perhaps most of all, I've never really thought of translation as you describe it; an "art".  Translators I have felt don't actually add anything original to a work, they don't CREATE, they don't, in fact, do anything other than just mechanistically change the words form one language to another.  A computer could do it.  And in point of fact if a translator DID create or add originality would that not be some kind of abuse of the original intention of the writer and therefore not a "translation" at all but a new poem - or at the very least a "borrowed idea", which has a kind of unsavoury feel to it.  

But I can see from what you say that there is clearly more to all this than I imagined in my simple way.  And all I can really repeat is that I greatly admire your knowledge and skills in this field, and thanks for the explanation.

M

Later addendum following a post from another: Just to be clear Ess (as there may be some confusion it seems), when I said "Translators I have felt" I did really mean "have felt" i.e. in the past.  I didn't mean to imply that I continue to feel that way after your explanation.  

[This message has been edited by moonbeam (07-30-2008 06:23 PM).]

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
12 posted 2008-07-30 08:19 AM

“ Fear not old translator because I have news for you “

Ess., there I go again, some of the best  stuff I have ever read was brought to me by a translator. The very

best stuff I have ever read, thanks to king James, was a translation of a translation.

“Translators I have felt don't actually add anything original to a work, they don't CREATE, they don't, in fact, do anything other than just mechanistically change the words form one language to another “

Now to say a translator don’t create, is like saying  when I tell my doctor my symptoms and, he translates

from his medical book, tells me, Chops don’t worry about it , its just a  virus  that’s going around.  Then he

gives me a bottle of alkaline pills and charges  me fifty bucks.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

13 posted 2008-07-30 09:56 PM

Dear Moonbeam,

A decent translation can make the difference between static words on a page and a poem.  You might for example check out the differences between the W.S.Merwin translation of 20 love songs and a Poem of Despair  with translations other other of Neruda's poems by other folks.  Or look at various translations of Rilke's "Der Panther" and you can see what an enormous difference even good translations can make.  MacIntyre vs. Mitchell Vs Snodgrass vs.whomever.  There are even computer translation programs you can put a poem through.  Check out some of those.  

Even more interestingly, try translating a poem yourself.  There's an amazing amount of art and skill to it.

With Essorant, sometimes, I worry, that he's pouring his skills into translation at the expense of ignoring his own poetry.  Too much goes into the translation, and shame on me for saying such a thing.  But I'm afraid there's too much Essorant and not enough whomever.  BK

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

14 posted 2008-07-31 04:19 AM

Bob

Me ... read Neruda!? bring out the garlic and cross.    

I find Rilke rewarding and challenging, but only have Bly's Selected Poems translation, so I have nothing to compare it with.  I suppose I need to rectify that sorry state sometime.

As for translating myself (in a manner of speaking), I can hear my old French teacher guffawing even from 35 years ago.  In any case if I was as talented as Ess with his linguistic abilities, I am quite sure that my ego would produce poems with, as you put it, too much Moonbeam and not enough original.  

As for Ess himself - I used to think what you express, now in my mellow moments I wonder whether his translations aren't in fact his "poetry" and his destination.  That is if, after the brother john, thread you actually believe in destinations.

M

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

15 posted 2008-08-01 12:34 PM

Dear Moonbeam,

Certainly I do.  I simply have an enormous respect for the part the unconscious plays in getting to the destination and I have a pretty fair understanding of what happens when you try to impose conscious design on unconscious patterning.  The negotiations can be very delicate.  Some folks, folks much more talented than I, are more skillful at riding those particular currents.  I have an idiotic  stubbornness that often keeps me at the process of revision for more than twenty years and often many more than a hundred revisions.  I don't think I've shared anything here that's gone through more than maybe ten or fifteen, and certainly none that I've put any lengthy time into.

Don Justice used to suggest that you put your stuff in a drawer sometimes for ten years and see how it looked after it had time to settle.  The older I get, the more I find myself following that advice.  So yes, I do very much believe in destinations.  I also believe that I have to be respectful of my unconscious process in getting to them, simply because I'm not smart enough to get there on my own.

Does that clarify things at all?

I'll be out of town for about ten days to visit upstate New York and elderly in-laws and parents.  I'll be leaving tonight, so it's possible a reply to this note may be somewhat delayed.  It is an interesting discussion.  I certainly don't mean to diminish Essorant, if that's how you read me.  His talents are remarkable.

Best wishes, BobK.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
16 posted 2008-08-02 01:39 PM

Bob,

I agree with many of your points.  However I would say one also ought to look beyond Modern English for good epics in English, for Old English and Middle English were especially flowering with poetic retellings of histories and tales, poetic translations and paraphrases.   In truth, it is hard to think of a pre-modern work that wasn't based on other works or earlier traditions surrounding its theme.   The kind of  "freeverse"-style creativity that people pursue today,  almost seems the opposite of the kind of creativity people often sought in earlier times.  Back then people tried to stand stronger on the roots that were already proven and wellestablished to bring forth branches of something new, instead of trying to detach themselves in order to try do the same thing.

quote:
Is your Statius Mss. related to this earlier Greek Mss in some way, or am I off on a wild Greek chase?

I believe so, but don't know for sure.   Thebes is in Greece, therefore it makes sense that the chief sources were probably Greek, probably including that work and others.  Statius spent over a decade working on the poem, so surely it wasn't just a translation of Greek into Latin.  

Moonbeam

quote:
Beyond contemporary English my linguistic abilities have always been negligible.

Well, what are you waiting for?  You may overcome that with help.  A good place to begin is Latin Via Ovid.  I like this grammar because it is a good balance between both the "natural" (directly using Latin) and the "analytical" (studying and memorizing grammar)" approaches to learning Latin.  

quote:
Maybe paradoxically I can in fact see that read in the original language it might have interest and nuances that add dimensions which those who can't read the language would miss to the severe detriment of enjoyment.  

I think most translations capture at least the main substance of the work.  And most people only first read the work through the benefit of a translation.  Even though the manner of translation is important,  I think it is the substance of the work that inspires people most to become more intimate with the work, and go even further to seek the original language behind it.  If he didn't admire the work itself (in almost any translation), then the original language is probably not going to make much of a difference.   But if one truly admires the soul of the poem itself then learning the original language is a great way of learning more and experiencing it more fully.   It is the inspiration and admiration of the poem itself that sparks forth studies to learn and share it in translation.  People don't try to study and learn a literary work better to bring the experience into their own language and culture if they don't find great inspiration and virtue in the work itself.

Here are further lines I have been working on from Thebaid. I hope the links help deal with unfamiliar words or references.  

Now I hold out the chelys' charms
Only to sing Aonian arms,
The deadly staff to tyrants twain
And furies death might not restrain,
The flames rebellious reaching higher
With discord of the funeral pyre,
Of kingly corpses lacking tombs
And cities alternating dooms,
Whenas the Dirce's cerulean flood
Should rubricate with Lernaean blood,
And Thetis awed at Ismenos
That thinning oft through dryland flows,
Coming along the riverbed
With unkind clutter of the dead.
Whom first, O Clio, clearly show
Of heroes now wilt thou bestow?
Tydeus in ire unwieldy left?
The laureled prophet's sudden cleft?
Fell Hippomedon's slaughterforce
Driving the hostile rivercourse,
Urges, and due is to deplore
The violent Arcadian's war
And in another horror hung
Capaneus' story to be sung.

Now dolven were deserving eyes
With impious hand to penalize
And damnate shame forletting sight
Was drowned within eternal night.
Oedipus thus had holden breath
Of life, below a longsome death,
Indulgent in a blind retreat
And inmost dwellings of his seat
Impervious unto heaven's rays
Keeping with care his private place.
But the harsh mind's own daylight brings
The ceasless circling of its wings
And in the bosom now belongs
The Furies' wreaking of his wrongs.
He lifted orbs bereft of light,
Of life the raw and wretched wite,
To-heaven-wards and hands blooddrowned
Beating upon the idle ground,
He thus resounded through the air
With sorry steven in a prayer:
"O Gods, that govern guilty souls
Tartarus also strict with tolls,
And thou, O Styx, that I besee
Greyish with grounddepths shadowy
And Tisiphone muchclept by me,
Nod at my prayer's perversity.  

(to be continued)

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-02-2008 06:53 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
17 posted 2008-08-09 11:56 AM

Oedipus' Prayer & Curse

If ever I was earning well,
When from my mother's womb I fell,
Thou favouredst me within thy barm,
And healedst my feet throughstung with harm;
If Cirrah-lake I yode unto
Betwixt the ridge with summits two
Whenas my life might be content
Beside untrue Polybus spent,
Where Phocian narrow's three ways thring
Lifewrestled with the longyeared king,
And carved his trembling face in ire
While I was searching for my sire;
By thee foreshowing I o'ercame
The cruel Sphinx's riddlegame;
If in sweet furies I was led
Into my mother's sorry bed,
Unholy nights unseldomly
I bore, and bairns begot for thee,
As well thou wost, I wished my wite,
Wreaking with fingers cutting right,
My eyes whereof I be bereft
Upon my wretched mother left.
Hear out, if worthy be my prayer
To raging, that thyself might bear.
My sons nor help to guide in grief
Nor with their words would lend relief,
Those, on whichever bed I bore,
Lo, overmoody! O for sore!
And with my death, the kingdom own,
My blindhood scorn and hate my groan.
Funereal too am I to these?
Idle the sire of gods besees?
Come now,  my right revenger be.
Web their whole line in penalty.
Don thou the horebeshitten crown
By my own bloody nails brought down.
Stirred by a father's wish and pain
Go in between the brothers twain
And by swordiron up and under
Let bonds of kindred burst asunder.
Give, O Tartarean abyss' queen
The crime I covet to have seen.
Nor will the younglings' spirits two
Be tardy followers thereto.
Come thou that worthy art alone,
My weds shall unto thee be known. "

barm: bosom
yode: went
thring: to press or crowd together
bairns: children
wost: present tense, singular, second person form of the verb wit "to know".
overmoody: arrogant
hore: filth
beshitten: befouled
weds: pledges, (Latin pignora), with special meaning "children" in Latin

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
18 posted 2008-08-18 02:13 AM

Therewith, the cruel Diva stirred,
Turned her grim cheer and harked his word.
Beside Cocytus' flood unfair,
By chance, she sate with loosened hair
That with its snakes had let down slide
And lick at large the swevelen tide.
Swifter than levinfire of Jove,
Swifter than falling stars above,
Anon, she leapt with no delay,
Left the trist bank and took her way.
The people fled, inane and shady,
And feared the course of their own lady.
She went through shade and shadowwong
Throughglidden by a ghostly throng
To where irremeable sate
The threshold of Taenarus' gate.
The day then felt her coming near,
The night againstwards gan t'appear
With pitchy welkin overpight
And vexed the shining steeds with fright.
Far Atlas shook with axles great
And loosened heaven's dubious weight.
Resurging forth from Malea's dell
To-Thebes-ward took a way known well,
For swiftlier nany path she foor
Nor liked her own Tartarus more.
Hund nadders' shade her face o'erspread,
The turmoil of her gruesome head.
Within her eyeorbs' sunken pits
A ferreous shining deeply sits,
As Phoebus' work, through welkins led,
Atracian art supplies with red.
With venom and with sweaty hore
Her hide is stretched and swells e'er more.
Forth from her mouth fullswart and dire,
Comes longsome thirst, a steam of fire,
Disease and hunger, from that breath,
And people's universal death.
Adown her back and shoulders cast
A horrid pall is holden fast,
Whose nodes cerulean come around
Amidst her breast, together bound.
Atropos thilk attire, thereto,
Eke queen Proserpine make new.
Then, both her hands shake up with ire:
This, blazes with a funeral fire,
That, with a living watersnake
Swinges the air and makes it shake.  

Where most with peak abruptly high,
Cithaeron runs into the sky,
Behold, she stood, with verdant hair,
And twins wild hisses through the air,
A sign to lands and life around
Whence all Achaean shores resound,
Wherewith Pelopian kingdoms lide,
With din and echoe wandering wide,
Parnassus in midheaven heard,
And rough Eurotus further stirred,
Oete moved dubious to its sides,
And Isthmos scarce withstood twin tides.
Palaemon's mother, then, in sooth,
From curvy dolphin hent her youth
Wandering from reins, her son most dear,
Pressed to her breast and held him near.

cheer: face
unfair: unbeautiful
swevelen: sulpherous
wong: field
trist: sorrowful
glidden: past participle of glide
pight: pitched
axles: shoulders
nany: not any
foor: fared
hund: hundred
nadders: snakes
eke: also
lide: to make a noise (related to the adjective loud)

Atracian:

"Atrax, -cis, Atracia, Stephanus; a town of Thessaly, on the Peneus, almost ten miles from Larissa, Livy, Strabo; in the district of Pelasgiotis, Stephanus.  Atracius, the epithet: hence, Atracia ars [Atracian art], Statius, denotes magic.  Atraces, the people, Livy." - A Dictionary of Ancient Geography, by Alexander MacBean, Samuel Johnson

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-19-2008 12:16 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
19 posted 2008-08-24 08:11 PM

Thence, to the Cadmean rooftop's height
The headlong Goddess took her flight,
And there anon, so as her list,
She set the house in wonely mist.
Soon, sudden stirrings, up and under,
Clapped through the brothers' breasts like thunder,
And furor hent the hearts of kin,
And envy sick at other's win,
Hatefathering fear and kingdomlust,
And broken bonds of brothertrust,
Ambition loathing second grace
Wishing alone the foremost place,
And discord such with all its pains
As e'er accompanies partnered reigns.
As through a rough and savage flock
Indeed, in laborous yoke to lock,
A farmer will and holds in mind
To have two chosen bullocks bind,
That, with steep necks unready yet
Not bent in knotful arms and set,
Indignant, draw a diverse course,
But loose the chains with even force,
And thus in many sundry way
Confound the furrows as they stray:
Not otherwise, hot discord grew
Twixt the indomite brothers two.
Of altern year, they laid by law,
One duke in banishment should draw.
An oath malignant thus bestow
And bid their fortune overgo,
That, whom, by headlong right were rex,
That other heir should ever vex.  
This was the bond the brothers bore,
And sole delayment of a war,
That nould, in truth, between the twain
Perdure unto a second reign.

list: to please (the impersonal verb)
wonely: usual, wonted
win: joy (as in winsome)
many sundry way: many (a) sundry way (When used singularily many does not need to be followed by a(n), and originally a(n) was not used with it at all.  For example, þær wæs helm monig eald ond omig "there was helm many old and oomy (rusty)" (Beowulf line 2762)
rex: king
nould: would not

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-24-2008 11:32 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
20 posted 2008-08-29 03:09 PM

Not then were fulvous ceilings seen
With metal crass, as one might ween;
Not with Greek mounts aloft and tall
Was shining forth the propped-up hall,
Holding enough the clients' heap;
Nor spears guard o'er the kings sore sleep;
Nor set in many altern stow
No watchmen groaning as they go;
Nor care a winecup gemmed to hold
Nor with the food to sully gold;
But naked power armed the twain
To fight about a richless reign!
And while they both ambiguate
And twixt themselves raise much debate,
Of which the squalid acrework
Should turn and till of narrow Dirce
Or o'er the Tyrian exile's throne
Unlofty, be with boast upblown,
Farewell to justice' bonds that bind!
Those humanly or heavenkind,
With goodness giving up its breath,
Farewell to worth of life and death!
Wherewards, alas, do ye aspire
Miserable ones, to stretch your ire?
What if by such a crime, the goal
Were paths and limits of the pole
Whereof the sun with rosey tinge
Emitting from the eastern hinge
Or setting at th' Iberian gate
Beholds the heavenly estate;
Or lands most distant and unneigh
He touches with his sidelong ray,
By Boreas frorn, or warming there
With fire and dewy Notus' air.
Not if both Tyre's and Phrygia's gold
Were heaped as one for one to wold!
The dreadful steads so as they sate
And tow'rs accursed sufficed in hate,
Purchased with savage rage and heat:
The price of Oedipus's seat.

crass: thick
neigh: another spelling/pronunciation of nigh (as in neighbour)
Boreas: the north wind
Notus: the south wind
frorn: the original past participle of freeze
wold: to have power over

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-29-2008 04:10 PM).]

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
21 posted 2008-08-29 06:13 PM

Essorant, I enjoy  your translations. I wonder if you could touch on the word~ person~ particular from the Greek and Latin . I know the dictionary definition . I  hope you can put some personality to the word. I won’t tell you why, so I won’t bias your thinking

If you don’t have the time , I understand .

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
22 posted 2008-08-29 11:50 PM

Thanks Chops.  The word person comes from Latin persona and betokened the mask worn by a player (an actor) in a play.  Some resources say persona comes from the equivelant Etruscan word phersu "mask" (back then ph was pronounced as it looks p + h, not as "f") and that that comes from the equivelant Greek prosopon "mask, face" (plural prosopa).   But similar sounds and meanings don't necessarily mean one evolved from another.  A more logical etymology is given in my Elementary Latin Dictionary, referring to persona as being made up of per "through" and son- "sound", just as the verb personare "to sound through".  Therefore most literally it may mean the thing, usually the mask, through (per) which the actor sends the sound (sonus) of his voice.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-30-2008 12:30 PM).]

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
23 posted 2008-08-30 12:56 PM

"Therefore most literally it may mean the thing, usually the mask, through (per) which the actor sends the sound (sonus) of his voice."

Thanks Essorant, this should help.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
24 posted 2008-09-14 01:40 PM

Now Polynices right to throne
The drawings of the lots postpone.
What then, indeed, was that to be
O cruel one, that day for thee,
When sole alone in hollow hall
Thou sawst thy pow'r and servants all
But ne'er a wight within that stead,
With equal heed held up his head?
Murm'ring in th' Echion folk begins
And mute dissent about the prince,
And as their wont within their love
A venturer is set above.
Some lowly churl arose theremong
Whose mood was most in making wrong
With venomed words, nor would he e'er
With willing neck such leaders bear:
"This the sour fates have hither brought
This to Ogygian land, the lot?
This often those that ought be feared
To change and change how things are steered,
And doubtful necks together lock
Beneath an alternating yoke?
The fates of folk they turn together
And handle fortune as a feather.
In turn, fore'er, I ought to lout
To exilelords, in days of doubt?
Of heav'n and earth, thou sower highest
To friends is this the mind thou guyest?
Is yet on Thebes the omen old
Sith Cadmus bidden forth and bold
Upon Carpathian billows worden
Sought the Sidonian bull's sweet burden
As exile through Hyantean plains
Came on a kingdom, in his pains,
Sew in the gaping, fruitful earth
Brotherly strife and much unmirth,
An omen founding there at once
Forever unto future sons?
Lo, with his consort now away
See how his pride has no delay
And harsher and erectly now
He threats, arising 'neath his brow!
What threats he carries in his face!
What overmood and lack of grace!
Will this a private life e'er share?
Yet that was mildmood to our pray'r
More friendly in his speech was he
And patient of equality.
What wonder?  He was not alone,
But we a throng, vile to the bone
Are prompt and e'er ourselves prepare
For any ruler whatsoe'er
As hence by frigid Boreas,
By Eurus eke nubiferous,
Sails be outdrawn and ships abroad
Amidst wild fortune bend and nod,
Alas, indeed, the bitter fate
This worthless theed must tolerate
That much uncertainty besets
While this one rules and that one threats."

O cruel one: referring to Eteocles, the brother of Polynices.
lout: to bow
guy: to guide. (related to the verb guide, but not to the noun guy)
is this the mind: "mind" more or less means "plan or intent" here.
sith: since
worden: past participle of the verb worth "to become".  The th turned to d, as in the past participle of seethe: sodden, and the variant form of burthen: burden.
the Sidonian bull's sweet burden: Europa, after whom the continent Europe is named.  Jupiter loved Europa and in the shape of a bull carried her away on his back.  
sew: the original past tense of sow
Will this...yet that: This = Eteocles, that = Polynices.
mildmood mildspirited (originally -mood was widely used in adjectives this way, and without an -ed.  We often still use foot this way, as threefoot, instead of threefooted)
overmood: arrogance.
theed: nation, folk

[This message has been edited by Essorant (09-15-2008 11:35 AM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
25 posted 2008-09-23 02:02 AM

And then by Jove's command and call
A moot was made in heaven's hall,
The chosen gods anon to meet
Within the inner pole's retreat:
From whence all things in spaces e'en
Abodes of east and west are seen,
And field and flood spread out each way
Beneath the wholeness of the day.
Then he came in right heav'nly tall
With stillmood face, but stirring all,
And sat within his starry throne.
The heavendwellers not anon
Sat down until the sire's command
By token of his tranquil hand.
Soon wand'ring semigods in crowds
And streams akin to highest clouds,
And winds with voices hushed in fear
Filled the gold halls and came to hear.
Mixed arches of the gods are seen
Atrembling with majestic sheen,
Columns more radiant ne'er to wane
And flow'ring  posts with light arcane.
When after bidden quiethood
And th' awing orb in stillness stood,
Then Jove aloft no more delayed
But now such sacred words conveyed
As have a grave and changeless weight
And voice full followed by each fate:
"Now I complain the wrongs of lands,
The mortal mind and how it stands
Unquenchable, to say in sum,
Not yet by Furies overcome.
Shall I draw out forever then
In penalties for nocent men?
I tire of sending forth my ire
With coruscating levinfire.
The Cyclops' arms, in busy pain,
Long now fatigued grow weak and wane,
And at Aeolian anvils now
The weakened blazes downward bow.
E'en I had borne to run at wide
The steeds freed from their wrongful guide
Heav'n with wand'ring wheels combust
And earth to foul with Phaeton's dust.  
But naught was gained, nor gained by thee,
My brother, when thou madest the sea
Widely with mighty spear in hand
To thring upon forbidden land,
In vain, an overwhelming flood.
Though I am auctor of their blood,
Now I descend to do as due
In punishing these houses two:
This branch from Persean Argos torn,
That from Aonian Thebes upborn.
A mind imposed remains in all:
Who may by Cadmus not recall
The slaughter, nor of Furies tell
The strife, stirred from the depths of hell,
The mother in her ill delights,
And in the woods her savage flights,
And silent judgements of each god?
Scarce light, scarce night is breadth so broad
That I may numerate therein
The impious manners of the kin.
This impious heir in appetite,
This Oedipus, against all right,
In his own father's bed and room,
Sought incest at his mother's womb,
Monster! Returned to his own source
Where his own life began its course.
Howe'er, he gave us lasting pay,
When he cast out his light of day,
Nor on our ether further feeds.
But his own sons, look at their deeds,
Full cruelly were there to meet
His falling eyes with trampling feet.
Now, now old man, thy pray'rs are good
And worthy stands thy blindlihood,
Worthy enough to hope for me,
Jove, to avenger, now for thee.
New arms I think, intend new pains,
To throw upon the guilty reigns,
The total race, the rotten fruit,
To exstirpate right from the root.
My seeds of war this manner draw
Adrastus as a sire-in-law,
And nuptials sinister to dight.
This other too shall win its wite:
For from my bosomthoughts arcane
The memories nor leave nor wane
Of trueless Tantalus, not least,
And th' outrage of the cruel feast."

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
26 posted 2008-09-23 10:16 AM

“The strife, stirred from the depths of hell,”

Essorant , this is my favorite line so far. It probably wasn’t a cliché when the epic was written.

I’m thinking about translating this translation to the modern speech .

The first four lines would go something like this :

“The chosen gods are soon to meet.
Jeff’s on the pole so take a seat.
START YOUR ENGINES that is the call
and it rings out in heaven’s hall”

[This message has been edited by chopsticks (09-23-2008 11:57 AM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
27 posted 2008-09-24 02:39 PM

Chops,

Why would a line with a cliche be your favourite? Or are you japing?

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
28 posted 2008-09-29 09:40 PM

Th'allmighty father thus was heard.
But Juno wounded with each word
And smitten with a sudden smart,
Feeding it in her fiery heart,
To speak her part anon upsprings
And throws her thoughts about these things:
"Me, O most just of gods, therefore,
Biddest thou me to wage in war?
Thou knowst that e'er Cyclopean towers
With men and means my aid empowers
Those and the scepters far of fame
Of great Phoroneus's name.
The Pharian heifer's guard, howe'er,
With sleep and death thou wrongedest there.
And coloured in an aureus hue
Thou gost in wellwalled towers too.
I pardon counterfeit affairs,
But hate that city, hark my cares,
To which thou gost confessed of face
With tokens of our loveships' grace
Aleading thunder through the heaven
And also turnest mine own levin.
For wrongs, let Thebes atonement do.
Why makest Argos foe thereto?
But come, if such a quarr'l consume
Our inmost and our sacred room,
Exscind, erase, with weapons bold
Both Samos and Mycenae old
And level Sparta to the ground.
Why anywhere in lands yet found
Or here or there with festive blood
Has th'altar of thy consort stood?
Why warmly, radiantly increased
With gathered fragrance of the east?
Better the votive fumes upflow
From Mareotic Coptos' stow
And brazen-sonant Nile aloud
With flowings of a mournful crowd.
If mankin must abuy full sore
The fern misdeeds of men before,
And this belated sentiment
Within thy mood is fully meant,
To judge the generations ere,
What is enough, in time and care,
Far back the lands to void of rages
And finally emend the ages?
Gin then from grounds that whencewards from
O'ergliding far and wide is come
Alpheus with wandering wave to shove
Foll'wing the fleeing of his love.
Arcadians here on curseful land
Made unto thee a temple stand,
Yet not a shame? there overmore
Oenomaus' axletree of war
And steeds 'neath Getic Haemus stall
Stabled more worthy each and all.
Still, cut from suiters' remnants there,
Unburied faces stiffly stare.
Thy temple here stands gracefully,
But nocent Ida pleases thee
And Crete with lies upon her breath
Proclaiming falsely thine own death.
Wherefore should any envy stand
That I stand by Tantalean land?
Ward off the battlestrife and din
And have mildheartness on thy kin!
To thee are kingdoms many one
Impiously seen beneath the sun
That better might with patience stir
And nocent sons-in-law endure."

mankin: the kin or race of man
axletree of war: The Latin phrase is actually Mavortius axis, Mavortius being from Mavors, another spelling of Mars, the god of war.  This is basically an indirect way of saying "wagon" or "chariot" of war.  I was considering "Martian car" but changed my mind            
fern: ancient
gin: begin
Thy temple here...: "here" referring to Argos now.
Tantalean: of Tantalus (whence the word tantalize)

[This message has been edited by Essorant (09-30-2008 01:15 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
29 posted 2008-10-02 02:38 AM

Juno had made an end by there,
Comingling both reproach and pray'r.
But Jove replied with words not grave,
Though stern was th'import that he gave:
"Indeed, I did not think to find
In thee consent nor favouring mind,
By what toward thine Argos be,
Though right my judgement and decree.
Had they the means, Dion indeed,
And Bacchus much for Thebes would plead,
But reverence for my mightidom
Forbids, and holds them back therefrom.
For by horrendous tides below
My brother's Stygian streams' dark flow
I swear an oath, forever wary,
That from these words I shall not vary.
So tarry not, with wings away,
Outrun the winds that thee convey,
Cyllenian son! through liquid air,
Unto thine uncle's shady lair,
And landed there this saying say:
Now to the upper airs and day,
Let senior Laius fare anon,
Whose deathblow came from his own son,
That, not Lethe's further banks shall get
By Erebus's law as yet,
To bear my mandments and commit
Unto his dreadful grandson's wit:
His brother now an exile made
Grown hardy with Argolic aid,
To keep at distance from his hall,
And as he wish deny him all
Full impiously the rightful gain
And altern honour of the reign.
Hence anger's causes come indeed,
And all the rest as I shall lead"

Atlantiades thither stirred
Most buxom to his father's word
Now in all haste his sandals brings
And binds them ready with their wings,
His hair he covers after that
And tempers tungles with his hat.
Then in his dexter took his wand
With which to break sweet slumber's bond
Or suade its sway againwards back,
With which to reach Tartarus black
And wonted to reanimate
Spirits out of their bloodless state.
Downwards he leapt and tingling there
Was taken on the tenuous air.
Nor tarried he, sublime aheight
Pulling thro voids his rapid flight,
And where he went upon his wings
He marked the clouds with mighty rings.

Cyllenian: Mercury (based on his birthplace, Mount Cyllene)
Atlantiades: Mercury again (based on his mother, Maia, being the daughter of Atlas.  When endings are added to the name Atlas the form Atlant- is used as in Atlantic.  The ending -des in Atlantiades is patronymic meaning "son of, descended from". )  
tungle: star
dexter: right hand

[This message has been edited by Essorant (10-02-2008 03:38 AM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
30 posted 2008-10-09 10:34 PM

Now Oedipodionides,
Meanwhile, from native boundaries
Exiled and stealthy slank abroad
And o'er Aonia's wastelands trod.
Full sorely now he thinks all through,
The kingdom owed to him and due,
And the long year complains and pines
As heaven stands with tarried signs.
In mind o'errolled and overrun
By day and night his care is one:
If ever he shall see brought down
His brother nethered from the crown
And hold the honour and delight
To rule o'er Thebes with all his might.
An age would give as pledge and pay
To see the light of such a day.
He moans the time is idle spent,
But soon again is hotly hent
By princely pride and inspiration
And catches an imagination
That now, his brother down and doffed
He nims the throne and sits aloft.
Such anxious hope his mind employs
And longsome pray'rs consume his joys.
Away he purposes to bow
Toward Inachian cities now,
And by the Danaan acres go,
And swart Mycenae's sun-reft stow,
And bear his road with fearless pride,
Whether Erinys fore him guide
Or Force of way as may befall,
Or Atropos unbending call.
He leaves th' Ogygian lands and bounds
Of howlful airs and furious sounds,
And hills that reek with dewy rud
Thickened and drenched from Bacchic blood.
Thence where Cithaeron softly hields
Sitting stretched out toward the fields
And leans its weary mount at last
Towards the wave, his pace is past.
Hence clomben pathways scopulose
Sciron's infamous cliffs set close,
Eke Scylla's fields and rural stead
Under the purple leader led,
And also Corinth mild and kind,
Well on his way, he leaves behind,
And hears the rivages both twain
Double with sound amidst the plain.

And now, for Phoebus' work was ended,
Titanis being soon ascended
With dewy wain, o'er earth now still,
Thins out the air and casts a chill.
Now beasts and flyers take to rest,
Now Sleep creeps in each greedy breast,
Referring sweet oblivion's air
Unto this laborate life of care.
No welkins punic to the sight
Promised the come again of light,
Nor twilight long with shortened shade
With Phoebus mirrored back was made:
More dense by lands the night o'er rolls,
Reached by no ray and veils the poles.
Now stern Aeolus' cloisters sound,
Those walls that keep the winds fast bound,
And stricken threat with voices hoarse
The coming of a stormy course.
The roaring winds each other swinge,
And force the axis from its hinge,
While every for himself will fight
Gripping the sky in greedy flight.
But Auster augments most the night
Rolling black volumes through the height
And pours down showers fierce and fell
That bitter Boreas hardens well
Presolidating with cold air
Soon frorn to hailstones here and there.
Nor is there not outbroken levin
With trembling glister through the heaven,
And ether gnidden with its ire
Asundered forth with sudden fire.
Now Nemea waxes water-swenched
And now Arcadia's peaks are drenched
Conterm'nous with Taenarum's woods.
Inachus flows with mighty floods
And eke Erasinus at once
With frorey waves arising runs.
Whilom full dusty trodden grounds
Now streams stretch out and leave their bounds.
Lerna with flood spumes from below
With ancient venom in her flow.
Each grove is torn, old branches cast,
To-rent and stolen by the blast.
And by no suns beholden ere
So thick, so umbrose everywhere
Lycaeus' shrouded summerstead
Lies open now and nakeded.
But he amazed and having wondered
At fugient rocks from ridges sundered
And frightful hearing cloudborn rills
Outthringing from the heighty hills
And pastor's house and cattle's sty
Reft by the whirlwind raging by,
Not out of wit nor with delay,
Albe uncertain of the way,
With silence through the dusky airs
Draws his vast course and further fares.
And everywhence and everywhence
Fear of his brother frets his sense.
So as a sailor sorrowly
Caught on the waves of wintry sea
To whom wards neither Wagon slow
Nor Luna with her friendly glow,
Beshining them with reaching rays
Leads out and luminates the ways,
In middle tumult there he be
In wanhope twixt the sky and sea
And either now from deadly rock
Submerged in waves, awaits the shock
Or sharp and foamy cliffedge now
Be run into his hoven prow,
So had the Cadmean hero hied
Through forestshadows thick and wide,
With his vast shield, with steps increased,
Dared through the stalls of many beast
And further with a forward breast
Broke through the shrubs and bravely pressed.
Fear's grievious force befalls his heart
And smiting gives a goading smart,
Til from Inachian homes in sight
With conquored darkness came a light
The which Larissean heights let go
Pouring on walls devex below.
Inspired with hope he thither hies,
Hence on his left a temple lies:
High Prosymna's Junonian fane,
Rightwards, signed with Herculean stain
Lernaean water blackly flows,
And in the opened gate he goes.
And finally beholding there
The vestibules most roy'l and fair
Soon having weary limbs outthrown
Stiffened by storm, berained, and blown,
Against th'uncouth halldoors prest,
Invites thin sleep to a rough rest.

Oedipodionides: Oedipus' son (here Polynices)
Titanis: the moon
Punic: Purple
Auster: the south wind
Boreas: the north wind
Wagon:  Charles' Wain or the Big Dipper

[This message has been edited by Essorant (10-11-2008 02:42 AM).]

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
31 posted 2008-10-10 09:51 AM

“ Why would a line with a cliché be your favorite?”

Only time will tell.

I do like the modern cliché better: “The trouble, from the hub’s of hell”

"I'll see you in the hub's of hell"

"It's hotter than the hub's of hell "

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
32 posted 2008-10-10 01:35 PM

Never heard it before.  What a lewd misuse of the apostrophe.  

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
33 posted 2008-10-10 03:21 PM

“What a lewd misuse of the apostrophe “

Do you really mean that ? Are we talking about the same lewd.? Only yesterday I have lunch with him and he didn’t mention you..

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
34 posted 2008-10-12 01:27 AM

I might not see what you are talking about, Chops.  Anyway, here is a furthering I wished to put on the end of my earlier post, but ran out of time to do so.

There, King Adrastus, not with strife,
Mid in the limit of his life,
Verging to senium in his eld,
Gubernance o'er the people held,
Rich in his kin and raught his line
On either side to Jove divine.
Though lacking of the better sex,
Females were flowering to the rex:
Two daughters' pledge of love, indeed,
Gave him supportance in his need.
Phoebus to him a ferly told
Deadly, and soon to truth unrolled,
By fatal guidance forth to draw,
Each to be loved as son-in-law,
That both a bristlebearing boar
And fulvous lion stood in store!
Revolving this amidst his mind,
The sire might not the sooth unwind
And Amphiaraus thou mightst not
Unlock the lore, unknit the knot,
That art of future things well wise
While th'auctor Phoebus such denies.
But in his heart, set like a curse,
The parent's care grows worse and worse.

senium: old age
eld: age
gubernance: governance (gub- is the original spelling)
raught: reached
rex: king
ferly: something that causes fear and wonder
auctor: author (auct- is the original spelling still in the word auction)

[This message has been edited by Essorant (10-12-2008 02:10 AM).]

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
35 posted 2008-10-12 11:53 AM

“What a lewd misuse of the apostrophe “

Essorant , what I mean is that we don’t both have the same understanding of the word “ lewd .” That is ok, because what you think of how I use an apostrophe, is none of my business .  So please get on with your translations,  I enjoy them very much..

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
36 posted 2008-10-12 01:43 PM

Chops,

Methinks that is because you are not looking beyond the deviant modern usage.  The root meaning of the word lewd is simply "unlearned" or "ignorant" as of clergy, school, letters, grammar, etc.  Take a look at how it is used in the Middle English poem, Speculum Vitae:

"In English tonge I schal yow telle,
Yif ye wyth me so longe wil dwelle.
No Latyn wil I speke no waste,
But English, þat men vse mast,
Þat can eche man vnderstande,
Þat is born in Ingelande;
For þat langage is most chewyd,
Os wel among lered os lewyd.
Latyn, as (hs. al) I trowe, can nane
But þo, þat haueth it in scole tane,
And somme can Frensche and no Latyn,
Þat vsed han cowrt and dwellen þerein;
And somme can of Latyn a party,
Þat can of Frensche but febly;
And somme vnderstonde wel Englysch,
Þat can noþer Latyn nor Frankys.
Boþe lered and lewed, olde and yonge,
Alle vnderstonden english tonge;
Þer fore I holde most syker þan,
We (hs. Wo) schewe þat langage þat eche man can,
And al for lewed men namely,
Þat can no maner clergy.
To teche hem it were most nede,
For clerkes can boþe se and rede
In diuerse bokes of holy wryt,
How þei schal lyue, and þei loke it.
Þere fore I wil me holly halde
To þat langage, þat Englisch is calde.
Gode men, vnderstondes now:
Þe ryght wai I schal teche yow,
Þat ye may holde, whil ye leue,
And swyche a lessoun I schal yow yeue,
Þat myrour of lyf to yow may be,
In þe whiche ye may al yowre lyf se."

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
37 posted 2008-10-13 08:23 AM

“ Methinks that is because you are not looking beyond the deviant modern usage . “

Essorant, you are so right and I try to avoid doctors that practices blood letting .

[This message has been edited by chopsticks (10-13-2008 09:03 AM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
38 posted 2008-10-13 01:44 PM

How does bloodletting have likeness to using the more original and etymologically proper meaning(s) of a word?  

I don't have a problem with words devoloping some different modern meanings or connotations, but rather when people enforce those and no longer let the original meanings have a place in the language anymore.  

One of the worst examples is the word thew.  Throughout English (and also in related Germanic languages) until modern times meant "manner, custom, virtue"  The word, hardly ever used in modern English, nevertheless was misused somehow, to mean something toward "physical strength".  Now all the sudden dictionaries list it only according to that deviant meaning and don't even list the original and more proper meaning, such as the listing at dictionary.com:

Thew

1. Usually, thews. muscle or sinew.  
2. thews, physical strength.  

[Origin: bef. 900: ME: OE théaw custom, usage: c. OHG thau (later dau) discipline: akin to L tuérî to watch]

However, at least dictionary.com still lists the original meanings of the word lewd:

Lewd\ (l[=u]d), a. [Compar. Lewder (-[~e]r); superl. Lewdest.] [OE. lewed, lewd, lay, ignorant, vile, AS. l[=ae]wed laical, belonging to the laity.]

1. Not clerical; laic; laical; hence, unlearned; simple. [Obs.]

For if a priest be foul, on whom we trust, No wonder is a lewed man to rust. --Chaucer.

So these great clerks their little wisdom show To mock the lewd, as learn'd in this as they. --Sir. J. Davies.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
39 posted 2008-10-13 05:17 PM

That was just my way of saying they both are relating to an earlier time and I’m not  interested in either; but those who do are fine with me.

Essorant, when you said, “What a lewd misuse of the apostrophe “ was I suppose to understand the comment in the present day meaning or say, that is old Ess and he is using the archaic meaning of the word  lewd. So he is really saying “ What a ignorant  misuse of the apostrophe “

Ess,  you are a wordsmith and I may be ignorant of the possessive use of the  apostrophe . Ignorance can be cured, but something’s are forever. Did I get it right this time ?

Are we having fun yet ?

[This message has been edited by chopsticks (10-14-2008 07:18 AM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
40 posted 2008-10-26 12:35 PM

No point in discussing it further, Chops.  It is not about knowing automatically what a word means, but actually being willing to learn it and learn also beyond just the oft-deviated modern usage.  But if one is not interested, one is not interested.  

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
41 posted 2008-10-26 12:38 PM

How Tydeus on that night selfsame
Likewise through stormy weather came
And found the shelter furthermore
That Polynices found before.
Beneath one roof to lodge them both
The heroes in their hearts were loth.
After few words and threats outright
They had a sore and bitter fight.

But lo! relinquishing anon
By fatal cause, old Calydon,
For brotherblood, for horror steers,
And drives him forth with guilty fears,
Th'Olenian one, that Tydeus hight,
Beneath the sleepy depth of night
Treading upon a selfsame path
Through selfsame winds' and showers' wrath
With rime upon his ridge to bear,
Berained by storm his face and hair,
In the ilk shelter now ingoes
Wherein the other held repose,
That earlier comer come before
That stretched out on the frigid floor.
Then here by fortune it became
Grippen were both with bloody grame:
Not tholing other either wight
Neath fellowed rooves to fend off night.
Now alternating words they say
And with their threats a while delay,
Until their sermons well were thrown
And ire thereof enough was known,
Soon shoulders bare, and now upright,
They dare there have a naked fight.
Now Polynices steps more steep
Longer his limbs not low to creep,
And in his eld, as it appears,
Tender and integer of years.
But Tydeus nothing less to find
Well bears himself with might and mind
And through his limbs and body small
A greater virtue reigns o'er all.
Now thickened blows they thicken more
On faces and on temples sore,
Like Riphaean hailstones, or as darts,
And kneeling knock the nether parts.
Not otherwise, as years shall run,
To Pisaean Jove the thund'ring one
The festive lustrum comes again,
Where dust grows hot with sweat of men:
Hence is the gathering's uproar heard,
Whereby the younglings well are stirred,
And mothers, though excluded there,
Expect the prize they wish to bear.
In likewise both hot hate conveys
Inflamed to fight, but not for praise.
Fingerteeth deeply scrutinize
Peircing the face and turning eyes.  
Perhaps, for ire, such was it led,
Soon both their swords had nakeded,
Girt at their sides, and better too
By hostile arms to be run through
And by your brother mourned, in truth,
Hadst thou then lain, O Theban youth,
If not the king in muchel wonder
At wontless clamour up and under
From heavy breasts each strident groan,
Through darkness, steered his steps anon,
In whom the sober oldhood prest
In such deteriorated rest.
Whenas he went, straight as a line,
With numerous torches shedding shine,
Having done off the locks as then,
On the front threshold, sees the men,
A sorry sight to say, a dread,
Faces totorn and cheeks bebled:
"What is the cause of such a rage
Ye foreign comers young of age?
No citizen of mine would dare
Such harshness at his hands to bear.
Whence this implacable delight
By which the tranquil still of night
Ye break with harsh resounding hate?
Is day too small, and it such grief
To suffer but a while's relief
Of peace and sleep in mind to come?
But tell, whence are ye sprungen from
Witherwards do ye bear your way,
And what your quarrel be, do say.
Not low nor humble may ye be
Such anger shows that openly,
For e'en through bloodshed, clarified
Great signs bespeak a race of pride."

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
42 posted 2008-10-27 11:57 AM

“No point in discussing it further,”

Essorant, I agree and I will not broach the subject again .

Btw, I mean~ broach ~in the modern definition, ( to open up a subject for discussion) and

not the Latin definition  (vulgar.)

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
43 posted 2008-10-29 01:07 AM

Well, I am glad that you know the Latin meaning.  That is an example learnedness instead of lewdness

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
44 posted 2008-10-29 02:12 AM

This scarce was said, when mixed with din,
With sidelong look, they both begin:
"O Argives' aldermildest king!
What need is words anent this thing?
Thou seest thyself how it is led,
Our sorry faces all bebled."
These words with all the rest confound
Lost in their voices' bitter sound.
Then Tydeus risen gan to tell
In order how this thing befell:
"Coveting comfort for my days
Some solace for my sorry case,
Leaving monstriferous Calydon
And all its wealth, I went anon,
And from the Acheloian wolds.
Lo in thy bounds such night enfolds
And covers me with such a gloom,
Who was this to forbid me room?
Or be it only for the claim
That he the earlier hither came?
Bimembered Centaurs share a stow,
They say, and Cyclops even so
Underneath Aetna sibsomely.
In rabid monsters one may see
E'en there internal laws are sown
And sacred justice of their own.
But not so much for us is found
To share with grith one lodging ground!
But why complain? For thou today
Glad with my spoils shalt fare away
Whoe'er thou art, or know me such,
If grief blunt not my blood too much,
Of mighty Oeneus' stirp indeed,
And traced to Mars, no rotten seed"
"Nor lack I of my kindredfolk,
Nor animus" the other spoke.
But with a mind forefeeling fates
To name his father hesitates.
Then mildheart king Adrastus quoth:
"But come desist from threats, ye both,
That night brought forth or bravery
Or wrath so unexpectedly,
And ending, leaving off this all,
Succeed into my palace hall.
Now join right hands and each take part
In equal pledges of the heart.
Not are these deeds befallen vain
Howe'er they fell betwixt you twain,
Not lacking will of gods above.
Perhaps this ire foreerrands love
That after all ye fain may find
This memory made in your mind."
Nor voiced he vainly fates to be.
They say through fight fidelity
Woke after wounds, and so great fared
As Theseus bore in danger shared
With rash Pirithous, friends ifere.
Or with Pylades standing near
Distressed Orestes turned his path
To shun Megaera's rabid wrath.
As waters foughten with a blast
Reside and settle back at last
But of those winds a lingering breath
In laxate sails prolongs its death,
Likewise the heroes hearsome yode
And undercame the king's abode.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (10-29-2008 02:50 AM).]

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
45 posted 2008-10-29 08:24 AM

“That is an example learnedness instead of lewdness “

Thanks Essorant, and who said Canadian's don’t have a sense of humor ?

Btw, your last offering is one of  the best .  

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
46 posted 2008-10-30 03:07 PM

Thanks Chopsticks.

Here is a site you might want to look at.    

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
47 posted 2008-10-31 02:12 AM

How King Adrastus looked them o'er
And found the lion and the boar
That Phoebus with a misty clause
Foresaid should be his sons-in-laws.

Here, first, he leisures to behold
The men's attire and weapons bold:
On this one's back a lion flain
Shows up with coarse and shaggy mane,
Like that in species and in hue
Amphitryoniades slew
In early eld and yearyoung days,
In the Teumasian forestspace,
Before he fought the monstercat
Of Cleonae, did on him that.
On Tydeus dreadful plunder sate
Labouring o'er his shoulders great,
Bristles and backbent tooth thereon,
An honour come of Calydon.
The old man dizzies with surprise
At such an omen in his eyes,
Recalling Phoebus well in mind
The oracle, the thing divined,
And uttered warning that he gave
Delivered through his voiceful cave.
His face is frorn in sight thereof,
His limbs throughthrilled with awe enough.
He sensed that by an urge divine
The twain were led, and this the sign,
That augur Phoebus' misty saws
Foresaid to be his sons-in-laws,
In words misleading and unclear
Under the tokens of wild deer.
So thence, toward the starry skies
His arms outstretch and words arise:
"Lo Night!  whose fathom overfolds
Labors of welkins and of wolds
Transmitting through expanses far
The lapse of every fiery star,
Indulgent to repair the mind,
Til next, to wankle wights of Kind,
Titan with sheen, with nimble rise
Beshines them and their earthy sties.
To me in perplex errors cast
Kind one, thou sendest sooth at last
And weavings out of ancient fate
Openly showst to extricate:
Further my work and hear my vow
And certify thine omens now.
Through all the measures of the year
This house shall e'er thyself revere.
To thee black flocks, picked for their necks,
O Diva, shall be thy respects,
And Vulcan's fires be eating through
The lustral tharms, milkdrenched anew.
Hail to the tripods' truth of old!
Hail to dark caves where it is told!
O Fortune! wilt thou see this now,
I understand the gods, somehow!"
The old man having spoken then
Conjoining hands with both the men
Leading them thus within his walls,
Proceeded to the inner halls.

saws: sayings
deer: animals (the original meaning of the word).  
perplex: tangled, intricate
tharms: entrails

[This message has been edited by Essorant (10-31-2008 04:08 PM).]

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
48 posted 2008-10-31 10:39 AM

“ Here is a site you might want to look at. “

Thanks Essorant, boy, did I learn something~(one was never use an apostrophe  to show

plural’s)

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
49 posted 2008-10-31 02:22 PM

Being difficult, Chopstick's?

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
50 posted 2008-11-01 06:40 AM

“ Being difficult, Chopstick's? “

Heavens no Essorant it was Halloween . Have a butter finger.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
51 posted 2008-11-05 10:30 PM

Yet on gray altars blazes burned
But much to sleepy ash are turned,
And holy offerings given there
Extend lukewarmth into the air.
The hearth with rites to burn he bade
And recent feasts again be made.
His ministers with haste had stirred
All earnest to obey his word.
With various tumult all around
The stricken hallways now resound.
Some then equipped the couches there
With purple delicate and fair
And tapestries that sound with gold
Brought in, hung highly to behold.
Some waxed the table smooth and bright
Some strove against the dark of night
Busy and workful, taking pains
To stretch the golden lanternchains.
These work to roast, with spits, with heat,
The beasts of slaughters' bloodless meat,
And these to gather into leaps,
Subdued on rock, high Ceres' heaps.
His house with fervid buxom work
Makes King Adrastus warmly smirk.

And now the king on cushions shone
Ascended on his ivory throne.
The youths apart recline nearby
Having their watered wounds made dry.
Each looks in other's fightbruised face
Sharing thereof forgiving grace.
The longyeared king commanded here
The nurse Acaste to come near,
The nurse and guardian holden true
A helper for his daughters two
To watch their modesty enough
And keep it clean for righteous love,
And murmurs words into her ears
Nor does she tarry as she hears.

Then, soon, stepped forth the maidens twain
Issuing from their bour arcane
With wonderous faces, one might ween
Like armisonant Pallas seen
And quiverbearing Dion, lo,
Minus the terror, both were so.
And shame came o'er the maidens then
To see the faces of the men.
Pallor and rubor e'enly drew
And overhwelmed their cheeks' right hue.
Their eyes, filled with astonishment,
Back to their sacred father bent.

After the tables' course was done
With hunger vanquished well and gone
Then Iasonides' thanes were sent
To fetch his wonted ornament
A perfect bowl, to bring anon,
With signs and shining gold thereon,
The which Danaus used to hold
And whilom too Phoroneus old
Giving their offerings poured thereof,
Libations to the gods above.
Graven in that were figures holden:
Here, seen with wings a youth all golden
And from the corven neck to bear
The Gorgon's head with snakes for hair,
And even now, with no delay,
To wandering airs, he leaps away:
Her heavy eyes she almost lifts,
Her languid face she almost shifts,
And even so, one might behold,
Grows pale within the living gold.
And here the Phrygian hunter caught
On fulvous wings is upwards brought,
Arising higher in the height
Gargara sinking in his sight
And far recedes the land of Troy,
His comrads stand bereft of joy
And hounds in vain tire out with sound
Chasing his shadow on the ground,
With sonant mouths, with din enough
Barking at clouds of heav'n above.
This pouring with the flowing wine,
He calls in order gods divine
The heavendwellers, as is best,
And Phebus calls before the rest.
To Phebus' altar each and all
Comrad and servant, raise a call
In pudic leaves about them bound,
For whom the festive day is found,
And with rich incense high and low
The fumey altars' blazes  glow.

Ceres' heaps: bread
leaps: baskets
rubor: redness
Iasonides: King Adrastus (a descendant of Iason, an earlier king)
Phrygian hunter: Ganymede
pudic: modest, chaste, pure

[This message has been edited by Essorant (11-07-2008 12:45 AM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
52 posted 2008-11-27 05:12 PM

The king then quoth "Maybe, O knights,
Ye wonder at these sacred rites,
What they may be, what they are for,
And why we honour Phoebus more.
'Tis not blind faith that moves us so.
Whilom in great distress and woe
The Argive people sought release
And set these rites to pay for peace.
Advert to me your heart and mind
And let my words the tale unwind.
When deus Phoebus' mighty blow
Laid the cerulean monster low,
With all its sinuous volumes round,
Python, the offspring of the ground,
With swarty circles sevenfold
Surrounding Delphos in its hold
That with its squams had overthrust
And gnidden yeary oaks to dust,
With threecleft tongue outstretched ahead,
By the Castalian fountains' stead,
With venom, and with all its shape,
Was seen to long for food and gape.
He felled it thus with arrows shot,
The which he spent on wounds well wrought,
And left it scarce at length, unwound
Over Cirrhaean soil and ground:
Over one hundred acres spread!
Thence, new atonements for the dead
The god then sought, and hither yode
To our Crotopus' poor abode.
Here was a daughter, yearyoung she,
Waxing toward maturity
Wonderly beautiful and sheen,
Keeping the house, a maiden clean.
Fortunate were that virgin fair
Had she ne'er met the Delian there,
Phoebus and all th' intrigues he bore
Nor carried on occult amour.  
By Nemea's flowing rivercourse
She felt the god, o'ercome by force.
When twice times five fullfaced in sight,
Cynthia in cycles showed by night,
The maiden kindled life to light
Latona's grandson heavenbright.
But fearing punishment and ire
If such were learned by her own sire,
For he would give no grace thereof,
To forced wedlock and violent love,
She chooses acres free from roads
With fenced enclosures, sheeps' abodes,
And to a mountainwandering one,
A guard of flocks, entrusts her son,
Beseeching wholly in her need
For him to care and keep and feed.
O child, the cradle thou wert in
Befit not thee of so great kin,
With grassen bolsters there bestowed,
Within the oakenthatched abode.
But closed amidst Arbutus' rind
The limbs yet warmth and comfort find.
A hollow fistula is played
By which sweet slumber soon is made,
The ground in common holden there
The weary flocks are glad to share.
The cruel fates forbid howe'er
E'en that as home, that humble lair,
For while one day, on grass he lies,
Mouthopened, breathing in the skies,
A rage of hounds upon him draws
And tears and feeds with bloody jaws.  
When news thereof the mother hears
It shocks like thunder in her ears.
Father and shame fall out of mind
And former fear is left behind.
At once she wanes in all her wits
And fills the house with hideous fits.
And bearing forth a naked breast
Runs to her sire to be confessed.
Nor is he moved, nor is he mild
But horror! bids that his own child,
Yearning herself her final breath,
Be made to suffer dusky death.
Late mindful of thy love affair,
O Phoebus, thou wilt now prepare
A solace for her death and woe,
A monster birthed from hell below,
E'en from the Furies' filthy room,
'Neath lowest Acheron in gloom.
This has a maiden's face and breasts.
Atop her head, a snake ne'er rests,
Twixt iron brows, arising there,
Whose strident hisses fill the air.
Then, this dire plague, by night befalls,
And slides in chambers, slinks in halls,
Foully from bosoms' depths to rip
The recent offspring nurses grip,
And thus with bite and bloody flow
Much fattens on our country's woe.
Coroebus excellent of arms
And great of mind, bore not such harms.
With alderstrongest youths he came
Ready to hazard life for fame.
Having destroyed a new abode
By a gates' byway, now she yode
And at her side were corpses twain
Of little ones but newly slain,
Hooked hands yet tearing vital parts
And nails warmed in their tender hearts.
Against her Coroebus came strong
Surrounded by his manly throng,
And dalve his iron deeply prest,
His broadsword in her rigid breast.
With gleaming edge that inmost felt
The depths wherein her spirit dwelt,
At length he sent her overthrown
Returned to nether Jove to own.
'Twas joy to go and see right nigh
Livid in death the monster's eye,
And from her womb the pus outpour
And squalid breasts all crass with gore,
By which so many victims died.
Th' Inachian youths are stupified.
Now after tears great joys prevail
And now remembering, all grow pale.
And with hard sticks dead limbs totear
A vain relief for grief they bear,
On her sharp molars further wreak
And kick them out of either cheek:
Their might may not explete their anger.
Flying around with nocturn clangor
Ye birds, unfed, eschewed her sight,
E'en rabid hounds were filled with fright,
And trepid there, the wolves, they say,
Gaped with dry mouths and turned away.
Now with his slain aveng'ress' fate
The Delian's ire is doubled great,
Embittered at the youthful men,
And on twopeak Parnassus, then,
Sitting atop its shady height,
With curvy bow, with bitter spite,
He lets pestiferous arrows fly.
Feilds and Cyclopean houses high
Beneath the weather of the god
Are cast in stormclouds far and broad.
Sweet life to bitter ends is led
Death's sword cuts through the sisters' thread,
And bears the city, caught in woe,
Swift to the manes' depths below.
Whenas our leader asks the cause
What evil fire from ether draws,
And why alone is seen t' appear
Sirius reigning all the year,
Paean, the selfsame god decrees
As sacrafices to appease,
To the gored monster they should go,
Those that with slaughter laid her low.
O blest of mind about to earn
A lasting day as ages turn!
Not wretched thou, not wont to hide
Thy weapons or thy pious pride,
Nor run away, fear on thy breath,
Eschewing what seems certain death.
Coroebus stood and faced him plain
On the threshold of Cyrrah's fane,
And thus he sounds his heart entire
And asperates his sacred ire:
"Thymbraean, to thy temple here,
I come not sent nor bent in fear,
But piety has guided me
And concious virtue unto thee.
For I am he, O Phoebus, know
That laid thy mortal monster low,
That with dark cloud, with hindered day,
With pitchy filth, cast every way
Throughout the heaven's evil height
Thou seekest out with cruel might.
If monsters feirce and causing fear
To gods supernal be so dear,
And less a loss, below the sky,
To all the world, if humans die,
If heav'n has such inclemency,
Why should all Argives pay the fee?
'Tis I alone, O god most great,
I, that belong to such a fate.
Or are these more thine heart's delight,
Desolate houses in thy sight,
And hopeless cultors thy desire
And every acre lit on fire?
But why with words should I delay
Thy weapon and thine hand this way?
Mothers await and through the airs
Sound out for me the final prayers.
This is enough: I earned it so
That naught of mercy thou shouldst show.
Come then, bring forth thy quiver now
And stretch thy great resounding bow
And finally smite down this mark,
A noble soul, to death most dark.
But as I die, yet lingering here,
Dispel the cloud and make things clear.
Remove that pallid mass that stands
Thick o'er Inachian Argos' lands."

So equal fortune as it runs
E'en yet respects deserving ones.
Then ardent Letoides awed
For reverence overcame the god.
He grants the honour of his life,
However trist, and ends the strife.
The evil cloud flees from the height,
As thou heard out, wouldst leave, O knight,
Phoebus in great amazement there,
And o'er the temple's threshold fare.
Thence be these solemn feasts unrolled
That sacred rituals e'er uphold,
And honour new with gifts divine
Thus placates Phoebus holy shrine.
What progenies are ye by chance
That o'er these holy altars glance?
Though, if the clamour earlier made
Was rightly to mine ear conveyed
Soothly, they heard e'en that this one
Is Calydonian Oeneus' son,
O'er Parthaonian's house to reign.
But thou, the other of you twain,
That comest unto Argos' land
Reveal, that we may understand,
Thine own origin, stirp and stock,
While time allows for varied talk."

Th' Ismenian hero, with unmirth,
Turning his face toward the earth,
Then tacitely and cornerwise
To injured Tydeus took his eyes.
Thus for a while was nothing heard,
But finally his words upstirred:
"Not o'er these rites of gods divine
Should I be asked about my line,
Whence be my kin, what native stow
Or how mine ancient bloodties flow.
Uneath is that to be confest
Among these rituals clean and blest.
But if thy cares so urgent be
To learn of all my misery,
Cadmus is th'origin, indeed,
Of all my fathers and their seed,
Mavortian Thebes our native earth,
And from Jocasta's womb, my birth."
Adrastus stirred with friendlihood.
Indeed, he knew and understood:
"Wherefore conceal the known and couth?
We know" the monarch said "the truth,
Not from Mycenae turned away,
Does fame upon her journey stray.
About the kingdom and the madness,
About the shameful eyes and sadness,
E'en he that shakes neath Arctic suns,
Or drinks from Ganges, knows at once,
Or he that sails into the west
While darkness deepens on each crest,
Or whom with its uncertain shores
Syrtes confuses from their course.
No more lament, nor numerate
Thy fathers' woes with grief so great.
Piety in my blood as well,
Has erred in much, as I may tell.
Nor fathers' faults that be to blame
Fasten the sons to do the same.
Thou now look well and favour win
And earn restorance for thy kin.
But now the frosty guide in care,
That leads the hyperborean bear,
With pole and heaven backward bent,
Is seen to wane and grow forspent.
Pour over hearths the sparkling wine
And chant thine orisons divine
And Letoides, o'er and o'er
The savior of thy sires implore.

O father Phoebus, though it be,
Patara's bushes busy thee
And Lycia's ridges rich with snow,
Or amour urges thee to go
And in Castalia's pudic dew
Thy golden locks immerse anew,
Or Thymbraean, thou keepest Troy,
E'en where thou whilom wouldst employ,
As fame reports, thy thankless shoulders
And willing bear the Phrygian boulders.
Or casting shadows far and wide
Over the Aegean waters' tide
Latonian Cynthus pleases thee
Away from Delos midst the sea.
Thine are the darts and bending bow
Afar against the savage foe.
Thine heav'nly parents blest thy cheer
And made thy cheeks eternally sheer.
Learned thou foreknowst in thy skill
The Parcae's cruel hands and will.
The fate in store o'er and above,
And what is pleasing to high Jove,
Which year brings death, and in which folk
War shall break out with many stroke.
What change the flight of comets brings
For sceptres and the pow'r of kings.
Thou tamest well the Phrygian's heart
To learn the cithern's strings and art.
Thou honouring well thy mother's worth
Tityos, the offspring of the earth,
Extendest with thy mighty hand
Straight out upon the Stygian sand.
Thee, the green Python, full of awe,
And thee, the Theban mother saw,
With quiver conquor gloriously.
For an avenger unto thee
Severe Megaera, endlessly
Opresses Phlegyas, kept unfree,
Starving amidst the hollow rocks,
That lying there, the while he mocks,
And edges him with feasts profane,
Mixed sickness makes his hunger wane.
Be present and have memory
Of all our hospitality,
Lend the Junonian fields thy love
Favourable from the heights above.
Whether it be most meet and due
As th' Achaemenian kindred's thew
To call thee Titan roseus,
Osirus the frugiferous,
Or Mithras, in the Persean hollow
Twisting the horns that loathe to follow."

[This message has been edited by Essorant (11-27-2008 07:54 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
53 posted 2008-11-28 08:43 PM

Liber Secundus

Meanwhile, the son of Maia wades
And shoves with wings o'er frigid shades,
Returning now from nether lands
And bearing mighty Jove's commands.
Thick clouds are cluttering everywhere
And round him runs the turbid air.
No Zephyrs there propelled his pace
But dirty mists and dinless space.
The river Styx stirs from one side
Whose currents round nine regions glide,
And from another blasts a blaze
Whose fiery waves enclose the ways.
Old Laius' shade behind him fares
Slow with the wound his form yet bears,
That impious blow, whence blood was spilt,
Driven more deeply than the hilt.
His kinsman's meech had made its path
And bore the firsts of Furies wrath.
Howe'er he held the medic rod
And trimmed his steps and further trod.
Then, sterile woods are stupified
And holden fields where phantoms hide
And irongrayish groves, anon,
And Earth herself is awebegone
To yawn and open unawares
With bonds unlocked from bottom lairs.
Livid in each unliving wight,
Even the newly lorn of light,
The ooze of envy up and under
Is wanting not at such a wonder.
One there stood forth before the rest
With illwill ever in his breast,
That oft at gods his hoker hurled,
Hence his grave wayfare from the world,
And sickened seeing happy folk
"Hie then, O happy one" he spoke,
"On whate'er purpose thou art prest
Whether by heighty Jove's behest
Or some grim Fury, led away,
To wend toward the light of day,
Or witmad witch of Thessaly
From hidden burial bidding thee,
Alas, about to look at skies,
The sun forsaken by thine eyes,
The lush green lands, the streams pure springs,
Only again to leave those things
And sadder than in soul before
Glide back unto this gloomy floor"
O'er the dark threshold, as he lay,
Cerebus sensed them on their way,
And all his heads gaped up in air,
Harsh e'en to people entering there.
As his black neck allthreatening thound,
Then had their bones been strewn aground,
If nad the god with craft enow
O'ercome him with a Lethian bough,
With such a lulling to consume
His ferrous eyes with threefold sloom.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
54 posted 2008-11-30 11:29 AM

Essorant,  I like most of the stuff you translate, but I have a layman’s question:

When you come to a Latin word that has more than  one meaning , how do you decide

what meaning to use.  Don’t tell me you have a committee and it is voted on.

You can cut and paste your reply ~~ Yes Chopszticks, I have a committee and we vote on  it.~~

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
55 posted 2008-12-02 02:02 PM

Chopsticks

Good question.  It is usually context that suggests a particular meaning.  But then again, a word with more than one meaning is not necessarly confined to only one of its meanings.  For example the word ferrum "iron" is also used to mean "sword", but it is not necessarily locked into one or the other, instead of implying both "iron" and "sword".  Even though "iron" is a bit untimely for the story of Thebes that takes place in the Bronze Age!  

The word os (plural ora) "mouth" is a bit more complex, for often it extends to mean "face" "features" and even "head".  

In the line below about the Gorgon engraved in Adrastus' bowl "features" or "face" seems best:

illa graves oculos languentiaque ora paene movet vivoque etiam pallescit in auro

"She (the gorgon, the decapitated head) heavy eyes and languid features/face almost moves and even yet grows pale in the living gold"

But in the below lines "heads" seems to work best.  And ferro, ablative singular of ferrum seems best to translate as "(with) iron":

Simul ora virum, simul arma manusque fractaque comixto sederunt pectora ferro

"At once heads of men, at once weapons, and hands and broken breasts lie with commingled iron"

Some more examples are the adjective ferreus "made of iron" also used to mean "stern", and lumen "light" (plural lumina) also used to mean "eye" :

iam sparsa solo turbaverat ossa, ni deus horrentum Lethaeo vimine mulcens ferrea tergemino domuisset lumina somno

"Now strewn on ground he had thrown their bones, had not the god the horrid (beast) with a Lethean bough lulling tamed his ferreous eyes with a threefold sleep"

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
56 posted 2008-12-02 09:31 PM

Good answers , thank you for taking the time Essorant.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
57 posted 2009-02-24 01:10 AM

There stands a stead and found in fame
That known as Taenarus by name,
Called thus among th' Inachian theeds,
Where Malea's headland upward leads
And foaming much admits no sight
To gain by gaze its highmost height.
Sublime the apex overtowers
And fain despects the winds and showers,
And lends at length a lodging place
Where weary stars may rest their rays.
'Tis there the wind from work opprest
May settle down and seek some rest,
And there the lane of lightnings' flight.
Midway among the mountain's height
The hollow clouds environ cling
Nor is there plause of soaring wing
Nor pulse of thunder e'er so high
To reach its summits in the sky.
But when the day is setting prone
Immense the shadow from it thrown
That hoves midsea and outward draws
Stretching long edges o'er the waws.
Curving its frangent shore away
Taenarus forms an inner bay,
Not seen so daring as to brave
And clamber on the outer wave.
There Neptune to their haven leads,
From th' Aegean streams, his weary steeds,
Their fronts, with hooves touch on terrain,
Their ends, still fishforms in the main.

turtle
since 2009-01-23
Posts 548
Harbor
58 posted 2009-02-24 02:33 AM

Hi essy,

Buddy you had me for about the first half of this......

Too bad too, I was liking it.
There are spelling and punctuation errors, but it's the context mainly

Here, this is the worst one.

'"Tis there the wind from work opprest"

This doesn't make sense. First "opprest" is not a word.. If you mean oppressed, that
is a mental and not a physical fatique like work.

I think what I'm seeing here is that up to {L11) you where describing your scenario
after that you begin using metaphorical words/phrases and this starts to confuse the story.

This definitly has potential though.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
59 posted 2009-02-24 08:44 AM

I liked the poem a lot

Turtle, I know you are real busy elsewhere and you may not know this, but we allow Essy to make up  new words.  However, I don’t think this was the case, I just think he misspelled the Latin word ~ operose ~  

Operose means wearisome in the Latin lingo.

You can be operosed mentally or physically.

turtle
since 2009-01-23
Posts 548
Harbor
60 posted 2009-02-25 06:52 AM

Chops buddy,

You are one of the few people here to have carried on a
conversation with me as one human being to another. Me?
I'm just a turtle. Just like the feigh I think I see a  in you.

Am I busy? Why,.... yes I am. A busy little turtle indeed.

When these kids started coming down here, no one else was
stepping up to the bat. And, I saw their struggle to get in touch
with their emotions, wanting help with expressing those
emotions in poetry. Why not? Writing poetry helped me to
define my emotions when I was young.

You know.....I honestly don't know anything about anyone
here. I suppose I could go through everyone's profiles and visit
their web sites, then go back through the archives and form
an opinion about each and every individual. Why? We're all
just human beings here. I don't reckon no one needs to whip
out their credentials, unless there's going to be an arrest.

Me? I'm just a turtle here to play. Not really wanting to bother
anyone. Not looking to unseat anyone. Not looking for
romance (I've had internet romance. No thank you). I'm just
here to play.

If you mean I'm too busy to develop friendships. You're wrong.

Post a poem.

turtle

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
61 posted 2009-02-25 08:48 AM

“ When these kids started coming down here, no one else was
stepping up to the bat. And, I saw their struggle to get in touch
with their emotions, wanting help with expressing those
emotions in poetry. Why not? Writing poetry helped me to
define my emotions when I was young.”

Turtle, I think that is great and I have said this forum is lucky to have you and some
others on here. I mean this, give me your address and I‘ll send a donation. I hate to see poets on here get off the boat and go straight to Ellis Island . ( Btw, that Ellis Island thingy is a metaphor)

Like my bookie says to me lots of times ~~ I don’t know what you’re selling , but I’ll take a dozen ~~

I got one more :

Like my Granny would say, ~~ I walked all the way to Baltimore and if that ain’t walking

I’ll walk some more.~~

Turtle, if I can think it, I‘ll write it.

Btw, you can consider that Granny thingy a poem, a two liner.

I walked all the way to Baltimore.
If that ain’t walking, I’ll walk some more.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
62 posted 2009-02-25 12:16 PM

Turtle,

Thanks for your comment.  But I admit (and hope saying so isn't provoking) that it seemed a bit unlearned and lacking deeper understanding in its main points.

quote:
First "opprest" is not a word

The spelling (and sometimes pronunciation) variation -ssed/est, as in blessed/blest, pressed/prest, dressed/drest, etc.  has a fairly long life in the language.  And it is based on the same kind of sound-behaviour that turns d into t in the words thought, left, slept, set.   Who reads poetry widely finds both spellings used here and there, either as legitimately as the other, even if not as common, for the same word.  

quote:
If you mean oppressed, that
is a mental and not a physical fatique like work.

There is much more to do in saying something than just saying it, there is also proving and arguing it.  Since when was the word oppressed/opprest locked into only a "mental" meaning?   The way I am using it is not much different than (physically or mentally) "overwhelmed".  The word oppress is made of the words ob "against" and press (just as the d turning to t, the b of ob turns to p) meaning  "press against, crush, overwhelm, etc".  There is no demand in the word for only a "mental" sense.  

turtle
since 2009-01-23
Posts 548
Harbor
63 posted 2009-02-25 05:54 PM

Hi Essy,

No, I'm not provoked by your response

I'm sure I'm not as versed in etymology as you and I enjoy learning anywhere I find it.

Essy, I always try to read with the readers perspective in mind. I think that, when a reader sees a word they are not familiar with and they try to find this word used in your poem and can't, it diminishes the writers credibility in their mind.

Being a person who enjoys delving deeply into word meanings, such as you, you might consider a clearer word choice than opprest.
This only serves to confuse your reader and defeat your effort in writing the poem.

turtle

turtle
since 2009-01-23
Posts 548
Harbor
64 posted 2009-02-25 06:35 PM

Hey chops,

Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( Btw, that Ellis Island thingy is a metaphor)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OOOOO...lol

Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walked all the way to Baltimore.
If that ain’t walking, I’ll walk some more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I see too much walking going on here.......Are you a Tennesse Walker?

I walked all the way to Hoboken once....It wasn't where I thought I was going though.......

But, I guess getting there is just a matter of putting one foot in front of another......
(a metaphor)

[This message has been edited by turtle (02-25-2009 07:33 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
65 posted 2009-03-08 01:40 AM

(End of the previous paragraph):
As famed, a privy path conveys
The pallid ghosts upon their ways
To swarty Jove, as wealth midst walls,
And decks with death his roomy halls.
If true th' Arcadian tillers tell
A stridor straught is heard from hell
And groaning of the damned and dead,
And a dark throng thrings o'er the stead.
The Furies' voice and grips they say
Oft din until the middle day.
And Death's doorkeeper threeformed sounds
Fright'ning the farmers from their grounds.

Here, shrouded o'er in shadowheaps
The wingswift god uplandwards leaps
And shakes Hell's welkins off his face
Serened with living airs and rays.
Hence faring through Arcturus' lands
Where yet midmoonly silence stands
O'er field and folk with no delay
So goes the god and wields his way.
Along his path, aloft in flight,
There Sleep asteering steeds of night,
Stirred up to hail the god on high
Strayed from his rightway in the sky.
Beneath the god the shadow goes,
And stolen constellations knows,
His ginning and his kenningstow,
Despecting Cyrrah's heights below.
O'er Phocis too his downlook pours
Which land was sullied with his corse.
At Thebes, his son's own threshold nigh,
Now Laius made much moan and sigh,
Cunctating midway in the road
To go into the couth abode.
But when he found unto his eye
His yoke hung up on columns high
And saw his chariot as it stood
E'en now infected with his blood,
He almost flew away in fright.
Nor might that of the thunderlight
Loftiest Jove's unleast command,
Nor weilding of th' Arcadian wand,
Restrain his speed, so had it sped,
If Laius in his fear had fled.

That was thilk day by hap from heaven
The Thunderer marked with his levin,
When broken birth brought forth a son,
'Twas thou O Euhius, tender one,
Prerupted forth and after fire,
Taken in careships by thy sire.
Therefore the cause and reason came
That Tyrian tillers took to game
In rivalry and rich delight
Passing away the winkless night.
Through wones, through wongs, disperst about
With wreaths and winebowls drained to drought,
Beneath the light and far and broad
They yet breathed out the breathless god.
Then was the boxwood pipe well played
And plauses of the bronzes made,
Cymbals whose clangors overcome
The pulses of a taurine drum.
Cithaeron also mid delight
Made sober matrons rage outright,
Driven with better drunkenhoods
To wander through the wayless woods.
So as Bistonians bear with songs
Their revelry in rabid throngs
Throughfaring Rhodope or else
Thringing in middle Ossa's dells.
For them one of the flock is feast
Halflive from lions' jaws released,
For them a luxury to tame
With freshnew milk their furor's flame.
But if and when the cruel smell
Of Ogygian Iacchus swell
Then stones and cups from hands are fair
To throw and scatter here and there
And with spilt blood of blameless friends
The day and feasts again commence!

In silent airs of such a night
The swift Cyllenian glode in flight
To th' Echionian monarch's lair,
Where lay the king immensely there,
Outstraught his limbs, piled up complete
With many rich Assyrian sheet.
Alas for ignorance so great
Of mortal hearts blind to their fate!
He held a feast, he fell asleep.
Then, senior Laius would upkeep
And do that he was bidden do
And that he seem not but a hue
And false imaginance of the night
He donned the shady face and sight,
The voice and wonted woolen bands,
And as the seer Tiresias stands.
His own true locks and chinly beard,
His grey and pallor yet appeared,
But the false bands about his hair,
With olive bound stood out full fair.
Here seen, he holds an olive bough
With which to touch his bosom now,
And willing further not to wait
To utter forth these sounds of fate:
"This is no time for slumber, thou!
O careless of thy brother now,
That liest here in covers' height
Beneath the dusky depth of night.
Long have great deeds been calling thee
Thou slothful one, and more shall be.
So as upon th' Ionian main
Upstirred with southern wind and rain,
The captain heedlessly should lie
Beneath the blackness of the sky
Forgetful of his looms and laws
And rudder's turning of the waws,
Alas, thou tarriest here e'en so
Ignoring dangers thou shouldst know.
For now thy brother, fame acknows,
With newmade marriage moodstrong grows
And yares together might and main
By which to overtake the reign
Usurp indeed thy part from all
And meet his oldhood in thine hall.
And Argive dowers therebeside
Fill him with animus and pride
Nor not in lifelong fellowhood
Tydeus, stained by his brother's blood,
Augments the gladness of his heart
And gives much succour to his part.
Hence shows his pride upswollen strong,
And thou a promised exile long.
The father of the gods above
Himself in feeling ruth thereof
Hither from heights and unto thee
To send this saying hastened me:
Hold on to Thebes! And hard offthrust
Thy brother blind with kingdomlust,
That further yearning in his thought
That his own brother's death be brought
Let not in courses further run
With confidence in frauds begun
Or Mycenean queens bring in
To mix among Cadmean kin."
Thus quoth, and for the steeds of Light
Now put the pallid stars to flight,
He would away, but as he went
His bough and woolen bands offhent.
Revealed thus as his grandsire true,
O'er his dire grandson's covers drew,
And from his throat, with cut so deep,
With waves of woundblood drowns his sleep.
Rest is thus rent, and full of dread
He lifts his limbs and leaps from bed,
And weening that he were bebled
Shakes off the shadowshower of red.
Agrisen at his grandsire sore,
He seeks his sibling more and more.
As when with hunters' murmurs heard,
Fearing their nets, from sleep upstirred,
Lusty for war a tigress draws
Loos'ning her wangs and showing claws.
Anon has she the throng atsprung
And homeward bears to bloodyearn young
For aliment and end of drouth
A man halfbreathing in her mouth:
So wroth the rex desires none other
But war upon his absent brother.

swarty Jove The "Jove" of the underworld (=Pluto)
Euhius: another name for Bacchus, the god of wine
Iacchus: Another name for Bacchus
Cyllenian: Mercury
Echionian: Theban (From Echion, who helped found Thebes)
glode: the (correct) past tense of glide
corse: corpse
wone: habitation
wong: field
drouth: drought
looms: tools, equipment
agrise: to shudder with fear
wang: jaw or cheek
bloodyearn: eager for blood

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
66 posted 2009-03-08 10:10 AM

Essorant,  the parts are greater than the whole, but some of the lines are priceless .

The next time I try to buy a pot, and after due consideration, I get called and loose the pot

I am going to use one of the lines ~ He almost flew away in fright.~

By that  line I’m advertising the fact that I’m bluffing and when I’m not, I’ll win a big pot.

There are a lot of good lines, but alas, when you add them ALL up, the parts are greater than the whole.

I going to post this and go back to improving my stuff., but for the life of me I don’t know why. In a few days I’ll be 87 years old , but that alone means nothing.

Have a nice Canadian sunset.
( All the winos know that Canadian Sunset is a cheap Canadian whiskey ) It’s ~NVO~ ( Not very old )

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
67 posted 2009-03-09 08:01 AM

Thanks for being a faithful reader.  I don't mind if parts of the translation are greater than the whole (if that is true).  Mind you the "whole" translation is not even done yet.  

But I think Statius' work itself deserves to be called perfect, for it is a work that is thoroughly polished and done by its author.   That is literally what "perfect" means.

Anyway, hope you have a good b-day, Chops.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
68 posted 2009-03-09 09:13 AM

You are welcome and I am a faithful reader.

I believe that you do care what we think

Perfect, is when my neighbor takes

her lady for a walk.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
69 posted 2009-03-11 07:55 AM

quote:
I believe that you do care what we think

Is that in question, Chops?  I always care about what others think, but it takes a lot before I am willing to give into something they suggest I ought or ought not to do.  

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
70 posted 2009-03-11 09:28 AM

“ Is that in question, Chops? I always care about what others think, but it takes a lot before I am willing to give into something they suggest I ought or ought not to do. “

No my friend not a question, more like my thought of the day.

And, it is obvious Essy, you are no push over.

Now as that wise old sailor would say, go

translate something or read a book

or what ever comes first.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Statius' Thebaid

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary