navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Acrostic
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Acrostic Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York

0 posted 2004-07-20 06:22 PM

Aiming to achieve,
credible,
realization of brilliant dreams.
Optomistic of the future unknown.
Success in writing,
taking a stand.
Idealizing a dream and embracing,
challenges as they arise.

© Copyright 2004 Kellie M. Cantrell - All Rights Reserved
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2004-07-27 12:18 PM

I don't like acrostics in general, for a few reasons:

1. They promote laziness in the writer... i.e. "well, if I think of a word, all I have to do is think of words beginning with those letters..." It's just too easy of an out.

2. It's far too easy to use the acrostic word to hammer the reader over the head with a point.

3. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I think they're a little sappy, a little too Hallmarky.

They have their good points- I think they work well as a writing exercise, something to launch us and get us going. I did read a particularly interesting acrostic once... can't remember what it was about, but it was an Edgar Allen Poe poem where in the first line, it was the first letter used... then in the second line, the second letter, the third line used the third letter... etc. It involved a lot of tedious counting and rereading, but it was an interesting concept.

Specifically to your poem...

I do think if someone is going to do an acrostic, they should omit that from the title. Don't tell the reader what they're getting into... we might enjoy it on its own merits... and discovering an acrostic would make it that much more enjoyable.

And I'm interested in your use of the word acrostic as the acrostic... it strikes me almost as a statement because of its simplicity, like and Andy Warhol portrait or something. Was this intentional?

Hope I've helped.

aujussy wolf
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-08-09
Posts 1215
Michigan
2 posted 2004-08-08 11:52 PM

Idealizing a dream and embracing,
challenges as they arise.

i like it , the last bit
i agree with kell , keep at it babe
- wolfy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Acrostic

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary