navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » a pattern
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic a pattern Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA

0 posted 2001-02-08 09:54 PM

see the pattern
in the lines of the palm in your hand,
trace the branches in the humanity of man

the swirls and whorls at your fingertips
impressed against the pane of life
forevermore no two alike

rest your cold hands against the glass
look endlessly into a distant mist
see the shadow in timeless past

who reflects back with brooding eyes
to peer in wonderment through the pane
as patterns of mankind merge at last

-wordancer

* laryalee, thanks for the inspiration

"Come...dance with me, into my world of words."

[This message has been edited by wordancer (edited 02-08-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Beverly A. Tift - All Rights Reserved
laryalee
since 2000-06-19
Posts 352
Alberta, Canada
1 posted 2001-02-08 10:08 PM

Wordancer, what an excellent picture!

"the swirls and whorls at your fingertips
impressed against the pane of life"

and then the shadow of the past looking in...
great imagery!
A joy to read...
Lary

wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA
2 posted 2001-02-08 10:23 PM

"and then the shadow of the past looking in..."

...is it the shadow of the past looking in, the dancer inquires gently...

Swamp¤Faeryie
since 2000-12-04
Posts 393
fairyland....of course;)
3 posted 2001-02-08 10:28 PM

very cool....i liked your ideas and the way you put them into words!!

swamp

Do i contradict myself?Very well i contradict myself.I contain multitudes.~walt whitman

laryalee
since 2000-06-19
Posts 352
Alberta, Canada
4 posted 2001-02-08 10:33 PM

Okay, I wasn't really thinking 'shadow of the past' meaning 'our past'...but the entire past which would in effect be the Past (therefore past, present, future - the All)...yes, I sense the Presence ....should be more careful in my word selection *g*
Lary

wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA
5 posted 2001-02-08 10:47 PM

laryalee, lets see if I can explain myself. Yes, you are right about it being the shadow of the entire past.  

I was questioning about “who” was doing the actual looking in.  Read the last stanza as if it stands alone and not connected to the third.  I deliberately broke this into 4 stanzas instead of 2, like I first had it, just for this reason, when I saw what I had.  

Put the implied question mark at the end of the first line.  

who reflects back with brooding eyes?

That changes it…and makes it very ambiguous about who is looking in, don’t you think?    

WO

[This message has been edited by wordancer (edited 02-08-2001).]

pegasus111
Member Elite
since 2000-07-27
Posts 2219
ocala, fl, usa
6 posted 2001-02-08 11:20 PM

the past is a photograph. immobile. it's song is irrefutable. it is always there. the future is a foggy mist. inscrutable. elusive. it has no song or substance. the present is caught between the past and the future. it is a shape changer. pulled and pushed by events. drawn by the past yet yanked into the future. it has many songs. sometimes it is silent..............

the woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and many miles to go before I sleep...Frost

kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
7 posted 2001-02-10 10:29 AM

This dropped off too fast.  I was still thinking about it, and it was gone. It's not a read one time and react kind of thing.  I have often thought about how the past, specifically my ancestors, may have influenced my life.  What traits do I carry from that mixed group of men and women, and how have their decisions influenced where I am and what I have I become?  And if we believe that there is life after this one (as I surely do), might they not be looking back at us through that pane, to see what we are doing with what they left us?   As for Pegasus and his comments about the future, that's too much for my feeble brain to handle right now.  It makes my head spin.     This is a good thoughtful read, and will go in my library for further pondering.

To love another person is to see the face of God.
- Les Miserables

Marilyn

wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA
8 posted 2001-02-10 10:32 AM

Poor grandma, didn't mean to make your head spin....let you in on a secret...I'm still thinking about this one too.  

WO

ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
9 posted 2001-02-10 01:19 PM

Wordancer; I am enthralled with this deep and thoughtfully  written poem. I love how you all have come to your own conclusions and interpretations. Mine might seem too simple, but to me all exists in the present moment, it took me many years to discover that staying in the moment is the only reality. It is, to me, where the light is.  

A friend hears the song in my heart, and sings it to me when my memory fails.

wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA
10 posted 2001-02-10 03:32 PM

Ellie, I still find it amazing that people see so many interpretations in some of words I write.  But, then again, not really.  We all have different thoughts, and experiences that come to mind when we read a poem.  It this connection that allows different interpretations.  Sometime by othesr comments, I revise what I wrote…either going more with their thoughts, because it intrigues me.  Or to make mine direction of the poem clearer.  But its looks like this one, methinks I’m going to leave well enough alone for now.

Now truthfully I didn’t know where this was going, when I took off on laryalee’s pattern poem, which reminded me of a poem of my mine that has the image of “lines in the palm of your hand”.  Then I was thinking how that these lines and our finger prints directly connect us back to the first ancient men in the far past.   And who would be the most amazed, them looking forward in at us, or us looking in back at them?

I do love using window panes, mirrors and other reflections to looked closely at something.  Can’t decide if my “pane” and “glass”  is a window or perhaps a mirror and the one peering thoughtfully in, is ourselves at ourselves, the sum total of all the world generations.

So I’m definitely not finish with this one…yet.

WO

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2001-02-11 05:10 PM

You have the gift of a true poet....not one person sees your writing as another...well done!
wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA
12 posted 2001-02-11 06:56 PM

Sunshine, what a lovely comment, thank-you very much!

WO

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » a pattern

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary