navwin » Main Forums » Holiday Cheer » The Christmas of In-between [Poetry in Prose]
Holiday Cheer
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Christmas of In-between [Poetry in Prose] Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2000-11-10 11:25 PM

The Christmas of In-between
Poetry in Prose

Not yet a teen, but more than a child, this little woman not yet gone wild. Dreams were a mystery, a magic and charm…she held them closely, they kept her from harm.  The year, nineteen hundred and sixty-two, she, the older sister to two.  "Keep the secret", mother asked in delicate tone, "never let on," and in this, she was alone.  To know for once, an adult, was she, and kept the secret of Santa, alone, the eldest of three.

And Christmas was coming, the days wrapped in glee…Mom handed out boxes to be wrapped by all three!  "Now this is yours, wrap it up fine, no shaking or looking, or you'll lose it in time!"  Oh the giggling and slight jiggling, the quest to wrap quiet, but the wonder and looks, oh my goodness, a riot!

And soon Christmas Eve, the night of the book, oldest sis stood back, and took in the looks of her sister and brother, all wrapped up in cheer, and she, the eldest, knew the real story this year.

A burden it was not to let them in to the secret she knew the line was quite thin of being an adult and being a child; to sit quietly, or in joy go wild!  Oh she bounced, oh the joy, to share this with the girl and boy! But no, she had to remain so quiet, and inside her, bounced this joyous riot!  It's "Mom and Dad" who should claim the respect! of all the Christmas joyous havoc! But mother had said "please remember, dear, it's Santa who owns this time of year!"  And then in most quiet voice, Mom said "it's your choice" and daughter thought, being most elder now, that in her hands, she would keep this vow.

But this time, this year, something different reigned…Mom and Dad spoke of God's domain, and of His Son, and of His Plan, and in all things of God's command.

The eldest listened; most entranced was she, to hear the thoughts that enraptured all three.  And somehow that night, she encompassed it all, and in light of wisdom, she began to stand tall.

Now, the tree was lit, the pine smell was pungent, and gone to bed, all three children went. But the eldest, she could not sleep, and she waited, until the night sounds were deep. Quietly she crept out of her bed, and toward the light, her feet were led.  She peeked in, and the sight she found, and quietly gasped, O the sound!

The tree was lit most brilliantly; the packages they gleamed! And she looked on most silently, for a spiritual time it seemed.  The room was not as was when she departed, now the lodging sparkled and magic imparted.  It was as if there, Santa had been, and God had come too, his Son he did send.  For a bible lay atop her small pile of treasures, unwrapped but golden, in splendid measure.  And she knew then she should not have glanced, and returned to her room, her thoughts entranced.

To take the mix of Santa and God, to blend the causes bright, came to her in most magical clause, that one long ago night.  To gift and give, as God had done, to share the joys with His Son, to share these gifts Oh! every day, to walk in shine as He lights the way…

This then is Christmas most resplendent, but as she learned that night, it is in how you spend it.

This is in thanks
to my Mom and Dad…
for giving me dreams
in all of the reality.

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, then speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

© Copyright 2000 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
tracie66
Member Elite
since 2000-01-18
Posts 4713
Australia
1 posted 2000-11-10 11:31 PM

Sunshine girl~
Applauding you loudly, you have done yourself proud with this superb piece of prose...well done
I enjoyed reading this and was kept interested throughout...great work  
Tracie~

Love is the life of the soul...
It is the harmony of the universe

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
2 posted 2000-11-10 11:59 PM

That was really beautiful and well done, Sunshine. What a nice story.

Elizabeth

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 posted 2000-11-11 03:21 PM

Such a beautiful story!
A much appreciated read. I loved it!

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I hate your socks. I'd like to burn them!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2000-11-11 08:55 PM

Tracie, Elizabeth, DD...thank you all for reading this long piece...what gifts our parents left us, yes?

Karilea
I would rather be silent and write, then speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2000-12-10 01:25 PM

ASIB

[a self-imposed-bump]

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
6 posted 2000-12-10 04:04 PM

Karilea~
Lovely thoughts to share.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

BSC
Member Elite
since 2000-02-04
Posts 2919
New York, USA
7 posted 2000-12-10 09:07 PM

Oh yes Karilea ~ What a beautiful piece you have spun from your loving memories...such a treasure...  Bonnie
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2000-12-17 06:00 PM

Thank you both for allowing me to give this a SIB...

Karilea
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Holiday Cheer » The Christmas of In-between [Poetry in Prose]

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary