navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » The Hands of Jesus
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Hands of Jesus Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Majestic
since 2000-01-11
Posts 264
houston, tx.

0 posted 2000-01-12 06:15 PM

If you look very closely,
You can tell a lot about a man.
In the lines and calluses,
Of his wrinkled old hands.

I've never seen my savior's hands.
But I know how they must be.
Hands big enough to hold the world,
Strong enough to save you and me.

As I think of my savior's hands,
A tear falls from my eye.
As I see the holes in his palm's,
And I hear his ragged cry.

"Father forgive them," he says,
"For they know not what they do."
Those loving hands nailed to a cross.
And his last words were for me and you.

He held us all in those hands.
Yes, very strong hands indeed.
So, hold up your own hands.
Look closely now, what do you see?

© Copyright 2000 Keith Gill - All Rights Reserved
deleeme
since 1999-10-09
Posts 1766
NEW ENGLAND, USA
1 posted 2000-01-12 06:40 PM

Majestic,  This is truly a Hands up (thumbs up) poem.  You've focused beautifully on Jesus and made that all important connection of our actions & our character, especially based on His. Well done!
And welcomeaboard newcomer--keep'em coming!< !signature-->

"Our Creativity points to a Higher Creator--we couldn't have just happened, and for what ability we may possess--to God be the glory." -dlw-

[This message has been edited by deleeme (edited 01-12-2000).]

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

2 posted 2000-01-12 07:30 PM

Welcome to Passions, Keith! This is a very inspiring poem! Thank you for sharing it! And check your email for a very special welcome!

Denise

Majestic
since 2000-01-11
Posts 264
houston, tx.
3 posted 2000-01-12 11:05 PM

thank you denise and deleeme...I appreciate the comments...
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
4 posted 2000-01-12 11:56 PM

A little hard to see my hands through the tears you just brough to my eyes.  Wow! Great poem...very powerful.  

Michael

mirjam
since 1999-11-24
Posts 246
Auckland, New Zealand
5 posted 2000-01-13 03:19 AM

ditto and amen!  Another poem which left me speechless, God bless you!!!
Jer
since 1999-12-02
Posts 443
USA
6 posted 2000-01-13 10:39 AM

Well.... what can I say, I to have tears in my eyes.  Great work. Welcome to passions.

*~* Come work for the Lord. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low. But the retirement benefits are out of this world. *~*

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
7 posted 2000-01-13 11:25 AM

Very Profound!  BRAVO, applauding, applauding!  Just Excellent!

<*\\\><
Where there is faith,
there is love.
Where there is love,
there is peace.
Where there is peace,
there is GOD.
Where there is GOD,
there is no need.

Hallmark

Shirleeah Storey
since 2000-01-03
Posts 68
Delaware
8 posted 2000-01-13 12:10 PM

Welcome to the Passions family Majestic. You never know what someone is going through something and has a need for encouragment, strength, or a prayer.  Yet God is ever mindful to those in need. I believe He laid it upon your heart to share this poem. For I am the one who was in need.  Sometimes we forget all that the Lord has done and will do for us. Thank you for the encouraging words, and the reminder that inspite of ourselves God loved us enough to keep us in the palm of his hands.
Majestic
since 2000-01-11
Posts 264
houston, tx.
9 posted 2000-01-13 09:36 PM

Thank you from the bottom of my heart..Mirjam, Shirleeah, Michael, WhtDove, and Jer....(wiping my eye)...wasn't a tear..just a speck of dirt...Truly I think my Lord led me here to share...This poem has a very special meaning to me also...My brother read it at my Papa's funeral...Wow what a set of hands he had...A very great man...On his death-bed in the hospital he was speaking with my Father about God; mainly faith...And he told my Father the story about the mustard seed...(I'll never forget the way my father looked when he told me this story)..Anyway he told my dad that he if just wanted to he could flood that whole hospital (my papa didn't like hospitals)and my dad told him that he didnt think the doctors would appreciate it...my papa told him that if he asked god to do it...that god would because he had faith and then he asked my dad if he wanted to see the flood....(It still brings a smile to my mouth thinking of my father standing there)My father told him no..he didn't want to see the flood...My dad told me he actually believed that his dad could have done what he claimed...I tell ya..it was bonechillin to hear my father tell this...Anyway...I thought that yall might get a kick outta this story...Thanks again ...and I'm glad this poem touched yall so deeply...For without God..where would we be?
Artur Hawkwing
since 1999-06-30
Posts 444
USA
10 posted 2000-01-16 12:27 PM

I returned from OP#5 only to find you replying to all the other poems during this time, so I thought I'd bring up one of yours. I like your style of writing, it has a knack for showing the entire picture as one is reading it, and I got a kick outta the hospital story... ROFL!    However, I think a few people might have missed it.

I wish I could see my savior's hands too. Those sinless hands that carried the weight of the cross and all our pains, and provided us with hope of escape from the eternal flames of hell. What a loving God we have.

Jer
since 1999-12-02
Posts 443
USA
11 posted 2000-01-16 12:37 PM

Funny story.....  I remember when I was in the hosptal last month,  I prayed God would send me some food because I had not eaten for 36 hours.  What do ya know,  about 15 minutes later my pastor came to visit and brought me some Ice cream.  Anyway... I just thought I would add that.  You just had to have been there I guess.

*~* Come work for the Lord. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low. But the retirement benefits are out of this world. *~*

Majestic
since 2000-01-11
Posts 264
houston, tx.
12 posted 2000-01-16 12:41 PM

AMEN...we have a awesome God...that cares for us deeply..thanks for the comments Artur and Jer...greatly appreciated..
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
13 posted 2000-01-16 03:02 PM

Welcome!!  Really enjoyed the writing as well as the story behind it.  Looking forward to more.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » The Hands of Jesus

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary