navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » The Poetry of Psalm Twenty-Three
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Poetry of Psalm Twenty-Three Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
deleeme
since 1999-10-09
Posts 1766
NEW ENGLAND, USA

0 posted 2000-01-08 10:09 AM

I have a Shepherd, the LORD by my side,
I shall not go lacking, whate'er betide.
In verdant meadows I rest,by still waters I'm led,
My soul is restored, refreshed and well fed!
Righteous paths for me He doth make,
And I know, it's for His own Name sake.

When I must tread the dark valley deep,
I will not fear, because You will keep
Me safe with Your Rod and Staff in hand,
Giving me comfort, as only You can!

A Banquet of Honor, You've set up for me,
Where friends and foes alike,can witness and see
The kingly annointment, which o'er my head goes,
And my full cup of Joy, which now overflows!

Surely Goodness and Mercy, by You, will abide,
All my Life's days, as in you, I reside.
And when o'er is my life, and I pass through
  Death's door,
In Your House I will be, with You, Evermore!

"Our Creativity points to a Higher Creator--we couldn't have just happened, and for what ability we may possess--to God be the glory." -dlw-

© Copyright 2000 David L. White - All Rights Reserved
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
1 posted 2000-01-08 11:25 AM

Deleeme,
  Psalms 23 sings like no other verses in the bible to me.  They are very poetic not only the way they are versed but in content... You have captured the essance well here, the fearlessness, the overwhelming joy.  Well done.

Michael

blueyz75
since 1999-12-28
Posts 138
IL
2 posted 2000-01-08 04:11 PM

Pretty cool stuff!  I've never taken any work and tried to rewrite it or rework it with my own twists.  Maybe someday I will.  But in the mean time, I think you're doing a pretty snazzy job!

Kelly

I love the male body, it's better designed than the male mind.---Andrea Newman

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
3 posted 2000-01-08 04:28 PM

Very nicely done, capturing the whole truth, the depth of belief and glory of reward.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

4 posted 2000-01-09 09:06 PM

This is beautiful, David! You sang A Psalm!

Denise

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
5 posted 2000-01-09 10:07 PM

Well it's nice to see you!  And you did one heck of a job on this! Beautiful, beautiful!

<*\\\><
Where there is faith,
there is love.
Where there is love,
there is peace.
Where there is peace,
there is GOD.
Where there is GOD,
there is no need.

Hallmark

mirjam
since 1999-11-24
Posts 246
Auckland, New Zealand
6 posted 2000-01-09 11:20 PM

i agree!  You should present this to your church worship band - what a cool psalm! I like!
Jer
since 1999-12-02
Posts 443
USA
7 posted 2000-01-09 11:31 PM

You did do an excellent job on this one. I must say the Psalms and Proverbs are my favorite to read and to write about.  Job well do.  Keep up the good work.

Ohh... yeah.  Hey Blueyz75.....  just until a moment ago I thought I was the only person in this form to use the word "Snazzy". That's cool that someone else use that. Cool beans! Or should I say Snazzy!

*~* Come work for the Lord. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low. But the retirement benefits are out of this world. *~*

Artur Hawkwing
since 1999-06-30
Posts 444
USA
8 posted 2000-01-12 10:12 AM

Excellent- Psalm is probably my favorite book to read in the entire Bible. That verse is one of the most influential in history. It never ceases to amaze me how David shared his heartfelt psalms with all Israel, and made them to be sung out loud. How much more they had to rely on God back then, it seems. Only SEEMS, I'm saying. Snazzy! I should reword: in the psalm David speaks of what he sees.... what they had, like oil for annointing, shepherd, quiet pastures etc. God is mentioned or part of every psalm David writes. Shows very strong faith. I wonder if faith in God has weaken in our society, so we don't SEEM to rely on him so much in our daily lives. Get the drift of what I'm saying? (end of long passage)

Majestic
since 2000-01-11
Posts 264
houston, tx.
9 posted 2000-01-12 06:24 PM

hum...do you think it would be blasphemous to say you took something good and made it better....ah well....great job...
ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
10 posted 2001-01-11 02:45 PM

Dear David; In searching back, I came across this incredibly beautiful poem of yours. I never had a chance to respond, so here it is and the chance to bring this back up for all to be blessed by again and some to see for the first time. You know this is one of my favorite scriptures, so I am doubly blessed to have found this lovely poem of yours.  Love, Ellie

A friend hears the song in my heart, and sings it to me when my memory fails.

BSC
Member Elite
since 2000-02-04
Posts 2919
New York, USA
11 posted 2001-01-11 02:57 PM

Wow David, so beautifully done...I'm so glad Ellie brought it back for us.  Bonnie
Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
12 posted 2001-01-12 12:32 PM

Excellent work in bringing a beautiful verse to us in your own words.  I commend you on a success of turning out the beauty of this Psalms into your own version.  I really enjoyed reading this one alot.
Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
13 posted 2001-01-13 01:41 PM

David, I appreciate your love for God's Word and you have done well in reiterating in your own wonderful translation probably the most loved and quoted of the Psalms.  Thank you Ellie for bringing this poem back so I too could enjoy....  the best poetry truly never grows old.

Love ya, Bob <><

Jan Duncan
since 2001-01-06
Posts 12

14 posted 2001-01-13 06:23 PM

David,
Thank you so much for directing me here. This is so beautifully done. You are so talented. I wouldn't have believed that this Psalm could become even more beautiful than it was if I hadn't read this for myself. Although often thought of as a Psalm for funerals ,I have always believed it was a Psalm of Life.

Blessings,
Jan Duncan

kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
15 posted 2001-01-14 01:26 PM

What a wonderful paraphrase of a favorite psalm, David!  This should be set to music.  I'm so glad I stopped by here and saw this today!

To love another person is to see the face of God.
- Les Miserables

Marilyn

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » The Poetry of Psalm Twenty-Three

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary