navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » The most important teaching of Christ.
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic The most important teaching of Christ. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2001-06-21 03:43 PM

I was wondering, (perhaps this is more suited for philosophy but when religious debates start there tempers tend to soar), what do you consider to be the most important of Christ's teachings.

I was raised a Roman Catholic but for me it did not provide the answers I sought, I searched the Bible listened and debated but in the end there were too many things that I disagreed with. Also I noticed certain hyprocrisies within so called believers.

I think the most important message of Christ is Love thy Neighbour as Thyself.

If we followed these words would we not have heaven on earth.

[This message has been edited by brian madden (edited 06-21-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
1 posted 2001-06-21 10:27 PM

I have to agree with you Brian.  To love one another is the most important of his teachings.  If we followed his example most of the world's troubles would be gone.  Hypocrosies are from man not God. We can not let man sway us from our relationship with God.  I think you will find him in every religion, it is man who has argued over details.  Joyce
Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
2 posted 2001-06-21 10:34 PM

Brian:  When I started reading your message, I thought exactly what you later revealed as your feeling the most important teaching of Christ, must be. What an incredible world this would be if everyone felt that way!

Betty Lou Hebert

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
3 posted 2001-06-21 10:54 PM

You know I thought about the question itself... which is the most important teaching of Christ.  And I thought to myself,  'it's really like a man who takes a saw in hand with a serrated edge and saws and saws and saws...until a mighty tree crashes to the ground.  Then a bystander approaches him and asks which tooth on the saw was the sharpest'.  LOL.

But your example is surely a candidate.  In fact he did say things like "The law and the prophets are summed up in loving your neighbor as yourself".  Paul also wrote "...the greatest of these is love".  John wrote "God is love".  etc...

But there are others... "Take up your cross and follow me." , "the Kingdom of Heaven is like..." , "Men ought always to pray and not to faint", "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength.",  "If your eye offends you pluck it out."  "I must soon go to Jerusalem and be betrayed by the chief priests and elders"... on and on and on.

Perhaps the simplicity of love is really the teaching (or the reality) that envelops and contains all the others.  It must be if God is love and all his sovereign plans come from a heart of love.

intriguing question.

Stephen.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
4 posted 2001-06-21 10:57 PM

You know I thought about the question itself... which is the most important teaching of Christ.  And I thought to myself,  'it's really like a man who takes a saw in hand with a serrated edge and saws and saws and saws...until a mighty tree crashes to the ground.  Then a bystander approaches him and asks which tooth on the saw was the sharpest'.  LOL.

But your example is surely a candidate.  In fact he did say things like "The law and the prophets are summed up in loving your neighbor as yourself".  Paul also wrote "...the greatest of these is love".  John wrote "God is love".  etc...

But there are others... "Take up your cross and follow me." , "the Kingdom of Heaven is like..." , "Men ought always to pray and not to faint", "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength.",  "If your eye offends you pluck it out."  "I must soon go to Jerusalem and be betrayed by the chief priests and elders"... on and on and on.

Perhaps the simplicity of love is really the teaching (or the reality) that envelops and contains all the others.  It must be if God is love and all his sovereign plans come from a heart of love.

intriguing question.

Stephen.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
5 posted 2001-06-21 10:57 PM

intriguing question.

Stephen.

scout
since 2001-06-16
Posts 175
no place owns me
6 posted 2001-06-22 12:31 PM

And to also Love God!!!

(so many people within the Church, the universal Christian Church( all churches) are just like the Pharisee's of Jesus' time, don't you think that's weird??? you think they would listen to Jesus' message)

your poem reminds me of a pensee, d.h. lawrence (who wasn't a christian) made his pensees (which he entitled pansies) into short poems, i think that method is great, writing some simple philosophy, the message is so clear! (it was clear in the Bible too, but I don't understand why many can't see that)

xscoutx
"Son of man with one blow I am about to take away from you the delight of your eyes. Yet do not lament or weep or shed any tears." - Ez. 24:1

deleeme
since 1999-10-09
Posts 1766
NEW ENGLAND, USA
7 posted 2001-06-22 09:22 PM

I think I am in agreement of much that is said already-- But if I were to sum up what I feel to be Jesus most important teaching-I believe it would first be to LOVE GOD in the truest way,and that would lead to and include
that Loving thy neighbor as thyself.

I believe this three fold love
God -First
Others &
The proper love  & self-respect needed

is what we might Call the TRIPLET CROWN of Jesus most important teachings.

These priorities & focus, are given by Jesus, Himself (Matthew 22:36-40).  To me,
This IS Jesus own and All-authoritative answer.
Thank you, Brian, for bringing it up- a worthy question, indeed.
         David

No Better Place do I know
Than where Hearts knit as
one,
For in that grand
experience,
The Better ALL become.

God Bless us All!!!

[This message has been edited by deleeme (edited 06-22-2001).]

ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
8 posted 2001-06-23 04:31 PM

Brian, I so agree...for after all, it is Love that lasts... when we have left this earth to be with God, all that will truly live is the love we have left in the hearts of those we have loved!  Ellie

A friend hears the song in my heart, and sings it to me when my memory fails.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2001-06-23 04:34 PM

Brian, first, am I too late to answer? No? Good.

Second, the [my] immediate thought of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is very similar, of course, to "loving thy neighbor".

But I am one of those squirrely folk who answer a question with a question:

If I am to look at a person, regardless of race, creed, color or religion....

and if I believe all people are children come from God...

then who am I to dissect their beliefs?

And who is to say that one's way cannot live and coincide with my way? Do I have to be so zealous to get anyone to believe my way...when I allow you to live your way?

So while that may not be a teaching of all we read....

isn't the major philosophy all of that, compiled?

Now, I'm known to go off on a tangent, and sit out on a limb, so please, let me know your thoughts....

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
10 posted 2001-06-23 06:54 PM

But doesn't real love involve a responsibility to speak the truth?  I understand we are not to become a  hinderance to the cause of Jesus Christ by being morbidly "preachy".  But at the same time, a love which says "I'm ok, you're ok" is not the biblical kind of love which was demonstrated in the life of Jesus.  It didn't seem to be a "mushy" superficial kind of love.  How often did this most loving figure correct and challenge the views and beliefs of others?  The hard part is making sure it is done in true meekness.  Otherwise we are only irritants to others.
(These are some thoughts I had when reading this)

Stephen.

DYME
since 2000-07-29
Posts 104
Texas
11 posted 2001-06-23 09:42 PM

I've always been taught about things with this analogy: Think about money. Money comes in different dominations. You have 1's, 5's, 20's, even $.50 coins. But no matter what you use, money is money and it all serves the same purpose. 100 pennies, 20 nickels, 10 dimes and 4 quarters equals a dollar. The same way with religious dominations: they are all serving the same God. It doesn't matter their what they call themselves or how fancy their churches are. The one thing that matters is that they all follow the same guidelines: the word of God. Yes some religious beliefs do contradict others, but if it is not in the Bible, overall it is not that important.

Yes the most important thing stated is love thy neighbor. If you think about it you need love for all people to follow all of God's other rules. Take thou shall not lie. Would you lie to a person if you really love them? Or the rules about adultry and sexual sin. If you love your mate, would you cheat on them? Or would you harm your body by sleeping around with God knows who if you love yourself?

Yes, if everyone in the world followed this one rule, the world would be so much better. But God's word says that we are supposed to go through bad times and that there will be bad things going on until Christ returns and Satan is locked up for good. Then all that have believed in God will remain on Earth and there will be no more sin. That would be heaven on earth. But no one knows when that is going to happen, according to God's word. So you have to be ready by staying in God's word.

I hope I helped you out a little bit with this. But always remember, God is not the God of confusion. He knows you and your heart, so when he tells you something, he'll tell you in a way that you will understand.

No weapon formed against me shall prosper... ISAIAH 54:17

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2001-06-24 12:31 PM

The use of your analogy was turned on a dime...Dyme....

well done!

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
13 posted 2001-06-24 02:38 PM

I'm commenting without having read the comments yet. I think His most important teaching was about Salvation!

As well as how to get along in this world.

Ok, I've read it now. I have to agree with everyone else as well. And Dyme that was a good analogy!

Different religions (which means division), have different views. The pharisees were the "religious" community of Jesus' time.

All the commandments can be summed up in this..."love thy neighbor as thy self."

They're right, everyone has a different take on it, but if we were to treat others as we wanted to be treated (lovingly), we wouldn't have as many problems in the world.

That's my 2 cents.   It's a good question Brain.

[This message has been edited by WhtDove (edited 06-24-2001).]

scout
since 2001-06-16
Posts 175
no place owns me
14 posted 2001-06-26 02:07 AM

Someone brought this up in my class today...

If you love someone, you will not steal from them, you will not covet their belongings, you will not murder them, you will not commit adultery with them, you will not give false testimony against them.
If you love your parents, you will honor them,
If you love God, you will have no other Gods before Him, you will not make idols to worship, you will not misuse His name, and you will remember the Sabbath....

How amazing is Jesus' teaching!!!

xscoutx
"Son of man with one blow I am about to take away from you the delight of your eyes. Yet do not lament or weep or shed any tears." - Ez. 24:1

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
15 posted 2001-06-26 02:43 PM

Ok Thanks to everyone for your comments, I agree with certain aspects of each one of them.

As for the thought of loving God first I don't know if I fully agree with this, it depends on the type of love. I was born Roman Catholic, as I have mentioned above but I now consider myself a spiritualist. I have no religion, I find comfort in Taoism. It is not a religion but rather a philosophy.

Therefore I acknowledge that there is an energy force creating and breathing life. I do not see it as a person or do I call it God and yet I have love and respect, or at least try to have, for others. I believe in "what comes around goes around" but I do not behave or love others out of fear of being punished by a higher power. I love because I know that hatred is a poison, a man made poison. I am not going to get into a religious debate and dissect the bible because my views may offend others and that is not my intent. I am simply trying attention to the fact that respect for all things living is important. I think that this is what Christ was trying to say.

I shall end with this thought Do you respect people because it is the Christain thing to do or do you genuinely respect that person?

I know we can't all love each other, we are only human but we can respect the situations of people who hurt us, firstly by understanding why they hurt us and by then by protecting ourselves from being hurt by them again. I guess what I am saying is I believe we should have to free will on how to act towards other people.

I have seen so many people act in hatred towards others and then beg forgive just to easy their own conscience. I believe this makes a mockery out of "love thy neighbour."

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life". Terry Pratchett

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
16 posted 2001-06-27 11:37 PM

If we really want to ask what the most important teaching of Christ is, it might be best to look at a text where he was asked  about the most important commandment, and see what he himself said...

"One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:  'Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?'  Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  All the Law and the Prophets hand on these two commandments."  [Matthew 22:35-40]

It seems clear that according to him, it is first and foremost to love God... from this love of God comes power to love our neighbor as we should.  Does this mean that people who do not love and believe in God, cannot love, respect, and honor others?  Not exactly.  But the kind of Love that Jesus spoke of which his disciples were to obtain was more than a mere human love.  It was to be the kind of love that could only flow through a passionate relationship with a personal God.  This new power of love would enable men to love in the same way that Jesus loved them... He laid down everything for them.  This was much more than civility, respect, or tolerance.  It was in my estimate an act which could never have been accomplished without a paramount love for God, then following, a love for mankind that was relentless.

These are just things that I see in Jesus teachings.  When he gave us the golden coin of the most important teaching, it had two inseperable sides like any coin.  That's why he mentioned "and the second is like it".  For it is also useless to say you love God and then not demonstrate increasing love for your "neighbor".

This was a thought provoking post indeed.

Stephen.

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (edited 06-27-2001).]

DYME
since 2000-07-29
Posts 104
Texas
17 posted 2001-06-28 02:19 PM

Yes that is true, it is very hard to love everyone. But in the bible (I can't remember where but I will find it) it says (not in exact words) that people around you who are not positive, that are hateful and things like that, you pray for them and then you mark them. You mark them so that you know know "Hey, this person might bring me down so I should not associate with them regularly."
The reason God says to love Him first is because everything comes from Him. If you seek Him FIRST, then everyone around you that you love and care about will be taken care of. Also in the bible it states that if you are saved, your household (family) will be saved. So if you are serving God and abiding by His will for you, everyone you love will be taken care of. And if you pray for someone, God is taking care of them. If you think about it, you really do put God first in some of the simplest ways.
For example:  You have a cousin who is on drugs and you fear for their life. You've tried talking to them. You tell them that God will help them and you minister to them. But it is no use. Your cousin just won't listen. So you go home and you pray to God. You say your usual prayer, give Him thanks, praise, honor and glory. Then ask him to help your cousin. You ask God to talk to your cousin and bring him out of his troubles.
This is simply putting God first because
1) You went to your cousin SERVING God because you tried to talk to your cousin about changing for God.
2)You PRAYED to God giving him thanks
3)You asked God to bring your cousin closer to Him in order to save his life. You knew that only God would be able to save him from the effects of drugs and whatever else is going on in his life. You BELIEVED God can do it.

So you see, you may not think about it, but it is not hard to love God first. Serving, praying and believing in God is loving him. When you do things in His name, that is loving him. That's how you love God first: You do things according to his word.
I used to think it was hard to love God first. But then I've been taught that it's not that hard. And remember: no one can tell you how to love God first because no one knows your heart.
I hope that cleared something up for you.  

I'm not crazy...I have papers to prove it!!

No weapon formed against me shall prosper... ISAIAH 54:17

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » The most important teaching of Christ.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary