navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Three attempts at Tanka ( I'm sure I'm missing something here)
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Three attempts at Tanka ( I'm sure I'm missing something here) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA

0 posted 2002-10-19 08:57 PM

I've made pain my friend
for he has given me much
understanding when
I'm burned from his touch
hot things will hurt me again.

In a pool of tears
I shall wash my hands of you
and of wasted years
being as you want me to
say goodbye, at last, we're through.

Deep within a dream
I have seen the waking world
and a life it seems
spiraling in downward swirls
caught within times' fading stream.

O.K., Im pretty sure about the 57577 format, I'm not too sure about using end rhymes, and I'm completely out of my element when it comes to changing rythym on the 12th or 17th. HELP!!!

PS, to all those who thought they were rid of me,
guess what? I'm back, I'm bad, I'm big , and I'm blundering my way right back into class! Anybody got a problem with that? Hah! Didn't think so! O.K. I'll go clean the erasers now, maybe sweep the floor, polish a few apples, and hope it's like I never left.
Doc

© Copyright 2002 William E.Kleist - All Rights Reserved
SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown
1 posted 2002-10-19 09:53 PM

Ok Doc! I am definitely no expert. But, what I did notice is (if you don't mind me saying so), it looks to me like you are lacking 2 syllables on the 4th line of the first Tanka.
And on the 2nd Tanka, you are lacking 1 syllable on the 3rd line. Other than that, I think you are fine. And, if I have overstepped my boundries, please forgive me.

Tammy Blessing
since 2002-08-26
Posts 366
PA
2 posted 2002-10-20 12:59 PM

Doc, I'm right on with smart chickie there. Other than the sylable thingy (p[lease excuse my typos..it is ver7y late here and I'm very tired) I think you have a hit. I'm not too sure about the 17th line thing. Maybe you aught to bribe Nan with some apples or watermelon or such and ask her? Nice write anyway,no mattter the format, the theme is great!
Tammy

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2002-10-20 08:05 AM

I've made pain my friend
for he has given me much
understanding when
I'm burned from his touch [5 - should be 7]

In a pool of tears
and of wasted years
being as you want me to
say goodbye, at last, we're through.

Deep within a dream
and a life it seems

~*~
You see the one line that needs a little extra umph in count.

Doc, Tanka, Haiku, and Senryu do not necessarily have to rhyme.  Although it is fun when they do.  Another thing I have noticed in reading these forms of poetry is that contractions are not used.  Which makes it a little more difficult...and creates the sparceness that seems so beautiful....

My suggestions, therefore, would render your poem to look a little more like this...

Pain comes from my friend,
for he has given me much
understanding when
though burned and singed from his touch

In a pool of tears
and of wasted years
being as you want me to
say goodbye for we are through.

Deep within a dream
and a life it seems

~*~

Of course, you are free to now rip apart my suggestions.  Enjoyed this, and thank you!

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
4 posted 2002-10-22 09:26 PM

Sunshine'
Thanks, I was not aware of  not being able to use contractions in this type of writing. It certainly makes sense as you've explained it, your suggestions will be taken to heart.
Doc

Tammy,
Thanks for the read and comment. Everything new brings a challenge. Some sit and wait and base their work on what has gone before,
some are foolish and dive right in, but then again , it's only poetry, and to most it's not a matter of life and death, it just reads that way. Live long, write much.
Doc

Smartchick,
Thanks for pointing that out, even a guy like me can loose count in a format he's not used to, that's why I asked for the help.
Thanks again.
Doc

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2002-10-27 07:45 PM

Streams meandering
Through time in serpentine way
Flow into rivers
Converging as one to sea
Pure wisdom of a lifetime

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Three attempts at Tanka ( I'm sure I'm missing something here)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary