navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » January's MysteriasmuSonNet...
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic January's MysteriasmuSonNet... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA

0 posted 2002-01-07 08:58 PM

OK, folks.. gather round..

Let's go over the format of the formal sonnet. This is again taken from a previous workshop...

"The Little Song" is the derivation of the word sonnet. I love writing these babies; they're by far my favorite format. Sonnets originated in Italy, progressing further with the unsurpassed influence of the English - more specifically that of Shakespeare.

Although the mode of the twentieth century has been to deviate from standard formats, I remain pretty old-fashioned, I guess. I adamantly believe that you can't rightly break the rules unless you know what they are...

Furthermore, breaking the rules effectively necessitates a thorough understanding of them. Ergo - I'm teaching you the the rules. I also follow them myself, by the way. I don't consider myself proficient enough to break them yet. (perhaps some day).

All righty - Let's start with meter - the easy part.... A sonnet, properly written, is done in iambic pentameter. That means that every line will consist of five iambic feet. Each line of your poem will follow this rhythm....

da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM

Check out some of Balladeer's work - He's always got his meter intact... Elizabeth Santos too - She must dream in iambic pentameter...

Your theme is of ULTIMATE importance in a sonnet. You must present a conflict of sorts in your opening stanzas and a resolution in your closing ones. Think carefully of what you want to write about and how you want to develop your work before you begin writing.

The use of imagery is another important consideration. A sonnet is a very compact piece, and as such is a great format for extended metaphors. Try to incorporate some simile, metaphor, or other types of imagery into your work. Refer back to last month's workshop for more info on imagery...

Now then - Let's get on to the format. Guess what - You've got a choice here. You can opt for any one of the following....

The original Italian/Petrarchan style sonnet. This format consists of an octet followed by a sestet. The conflict is presented in the octet and resolved in the sestet. This format allows you less conflict, but more "resolution" time, if you should need it.... Although some variation can be found in the final sested, the standard format is:

a-b-b-a-a-b-b-a/c-d-e-c-d-e

The most popular English/Shakespearean sonnet. In this format the conflict is presented within three quatrains of verse, and resolved in a final couplet. The Shakespearean format is...

a-b-a-b/c-d-c-d/e-f-e-f/g-g

The final, and less known format is Spenserian. This format is most similar to Shakespearean, as it incorporates three quatrains and a closing couplet. In either format, you'll need to develop your conflict in the quatrains and resolve it in the couplet. The Spenserian (you'll see some pantoum similarities too) format is...

a-b-a-b/b-c-b-c/c-d-c-d/e-e

So - Pick your Poetic Poison, friends... Let's see what we can come up with...

My most recent sonnet was for my Christmas card...
quote:

Christmas Sonnet

If I could wish upon the Christmas Star
That shone on Bethlehem at Jesus' birth,
I'd join humanity in Peace on Earth
And scatter messages of Love afar.

If I could gather throngs of yuletide cheer,
I'd use them to adorn our world with mirth
As festive garland wrapped about her girth,
Embracing Love and Peace both far and near.

If I could add a gift to Santa's sleigh,
I'd circle all the world by Christmas Day;
Give those in need protection from the cold,
A warming Afghan tatted in the fold.
If I could give to all I would bequeath
One humankind within a Worldly Wreath.

So - Mysteria - Which format is this one??

© Copyright 2002 Nancy Ness - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2002-01-07 09:19 PM

The original Italian/Petrarchan style sonnet?  Brother Nan!  Who invented all this anyway? Okay I am up to try, but who's grading them - if Balladeer gets out his red pen yikes!   I already had to stay after school a few times LOL.  Okie dokie, I will think of something.

~*~ Carpe' Diem ~*~

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2002-01-07 09:23 PM

Nope that was wrong - right?
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
3 posted 2002-01-08 12:06 PM

wait a minute. . . that's not one of the forms you show above!!

that one is a-b-b-a c-b-b-c d-d-e-e-f-f

two quatrains and a sestet. . . or, it could be an octet and a sestet. . . you're having fun with us aren't you????  

I'll go with a variation of the Italian/Petrarchan style. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

4 posted 2002-01-08 01:00 AM

My brain has a very hard time hearing the da DUM thing.  I'm being serious.  I understand the rules, just can't hear the rhythym.  Can anyone help?
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
5 posted 2002-01-08 07:37 AM

Gotta admit - I'm messing with you all a bit... I did break the rules a bit on this one by altering the rhyme scheme a bit...

I have to get my kicks SOMEHOW..

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
6 posted 2002-01-09 07:06 AM

Duncan - Give us a sonnet to the best of your ability and we'll help you to fine tune it..
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
7 posted 2002-01-09 07:03 PM

Hai Duncan, will this help to get the rhythm?

If I could wish upon the Christmas Star
That shone on Bethlehem at Jesus' birth

The 'normal' part is the 'da' and the thick part is the dumm

You just read it out loud a few times to get the hang of it.

I wish my days were ever so long
So I could write for you a sonnetsong

Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Want to use the pics on my website? Just send me a mail and I'll give you the link.

[This message has been edited by Titia Geertman (01-09-2002 07:05 PM).]

NapalmsConstantlyConfused
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-15
Posts 529

8 posted 2002-01-15 02:09 AM

Duncan... beat it out on your desk as you read it out loud, remember renaissance man?
regardless of the fact that that movie was basically bunk, that IS the easiest way to read iambs.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
9 posted 2002-01-15 03:08 AM

Um...Nan? You forgot one particular aspect of the Spensarian sonnets: theme. The three quatrains deal with different questions about a central theme, resolved in the final couplet. Common Spensarian themes are love and death (go fig).

For instance:
1 Quatrain: Asks a question about love.
2 Quatrain: Asks another question about love, but from a different aspect.
3 Quatrain: Like 2 Quatrain, but yet another aspect.
Couplet: Answers the questions.

I've written a few of these, and they are definate buggers. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate any samples, and am too braindead to create one this moment. I'll have to pour over my notebooks to see what I can scrounge up.

Alicat

Canuckster
since 2002-01-09
Posts 285
New Mexico, USA
10 posted 2002-01-15 09:33 AM

Thanks very much for this succinct summary Nan.  Very well done!

never try to teach a pig to sing
it wastes your time AND annoys the pig

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
11 posted 2002-01-17 02:36 PM

I posted this seperate in the workshop forum... I thnk that is what I was suppose to do anyway *chuckles*

[This message has been edited by rosepetals25 (01-17-2002 08:07 PM).]

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
12 posted 2002-01-17 05:28 PM

Sorry guys for being late (ain't I always?), but my computer crashed big time.
Anyway, I think the major problems are solved (keep your fingers crossed), so I'll be back here shortly and will catch up. Hmm, I may even do my homework.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
13 posted 2002-01-18 02:49 AM

Oh, I just know I am going to have to stay after class, oh dear! Elizabeth - help!

~*  CARPE' DIEM  *~

cwebb
since 2002-01-19
Posts 34

14 posted 2002-01-20 01:50 PM

How does this work?  Can I just join in on this?  Or do I need to request admission? (sounds like fun!)

Carol

cwebb
since 2002-01-19
Posts 34

15 posted 2002-01-20 03:09 PM

Winter Sunrise

In darkest night, I rose to seek the absent sun
When birds began to chatter in those farthest trees.
I heard them sing  – and peering, I saw one
Brush closely by my window, borne on errant breeze.

I sensed the night draw close her velvet gown
And stood, unbreathing, as the day began to rise.
He peered from ‘round her skirts, and teasing, found
A shining star to challenge for possession of the skies.

and chiding laughter from the hidden, waiting birds
called winter’s daylight to his task in clearest words.

Hmm.  Lots I'd like to change about this - but I'm not sure how at this point.  I'm wide open to suggestion... please!  Especially on the meter... I've never done it before!  and you're right, it is very much a challenge!

Carol

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
16 posted 2002-01-20 07:42 PM

Damn, I’m late for class “again” aren’t I? Sorry teach…I have a real good excuse…just give me a minute to come up with it okay??….i’ts Duncan’s fault…yeah, that’s it…when in doubt, blame Duncan….that’s my new motto!!
Oh no!!! iambic pentameter???? Oh Nan, we both know what happened when I tried to do this last month, don’t we??? I still haven’t finished my detention for that one!!! But, I will try again. Maybe if I go and read everyone else’s, I will get the hang of it.

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
17 posted 2002-01-21 11:18 AM

Duncan - Stop distracting Tracey...

[This message has been edited by Nan (01-21-2002 11:19 AM).]

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

18 posted 2002-01-21 12:29 PM

I must admit that Nan is oh so right
No more will I distract you from your task
So please remember this when I don't call
Until a sonnet written just by you
Is found upon this hallowed forum page

Dear Nan
Please accept this as both my response to Tracey's excuse...and your rebuke.  It's also as close as I can get to the da DUM, da Dum thing.

(BTW...That did help, Titia as did drumming it out, NCC.  Thanks!)

Hmmmm...anybody want to play on the swings while Tracey's inside writing?

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
19 posted 2002-01-21 09:04 PM

um. . . have we determined what kind of Sonnet this is??

--------------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
20 posted 2002-01-23 10:11 AM

Sven didn't you know that's a SonNESS?

Duncan, if you'd like some help drop me a line. You have no email address listed.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
21 posted 2002-02-04 04:34 PM

Hah, better late than never, and believe it or not it took this long for me to do one, ask Liz, as I drove her crazy proofing them for me!  Thank you Elizabeth

Well Nan, here it is and don't ever ask me to do this again pahleeze....
/pip/Forum53/HTML/002589.html

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » January's MysteriasmuSonNet...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary