navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Extended Metaphor Assignment(Please don't grade it too harshly, Nan!)
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Extended Metaphor Assignment(Please don't grade it too harshly, Nan!) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....

0 posted 2000-04-07 08:28 AM

The race!!

BANG! The pistol explodes with sound.
SPLASH! The swimmers dive smoothly into the water.
The race has begun!

At first I am behind but I slowly  pull ahead of some,
I kick and kick and kick,
To be in front is the desire.
Momentarily I am the one, the leader,
But then I fall behind as someone takes me.
The race is a long one,  exhilarating and exhausting at once.
At times I think I can win it but then there is someone else ahead,
I keep pushing myself to be the best but find myself tiring.
I fall back, getting water continually thrown in my face....
I feel like giving up, stopping all together and getting out of the pool,
But I keep on going.
Kick, kick, kick....pull, pull, pull.
The motions are automatic now, no longer a thrill.
My lungs are burning and I ache all over,
But I can’t stop until the race is ended.
That is the rule....
That finish line seems a long way off.

I keep on pushing myself to get to it,
And soon the end is in sight.
I try my hardest to get in front,
Winning would be great!
Then I hear a cheering,
No. 1 has been taken.
And then No. 2...
Then I finish!!!
Wearily I climb from the water,
So tired I can hardly walk.
I did pretty well in today’s race,
I wonder how tomorrow’s will be......

"Poetry is the true expression of my soul, it is my ultimate means of communication. It is a rainbow of delight."

© Copyright 2000 ESP - All Rights Reserved
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 posted 2000-04-10 08:14 AM

I think you did very well.   I don't know how well you did on extended metaphor.....I'm still trying to understand it better myself, but I like this a lot. Well done !
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

2 posted 2000-04-10 11:59 PM

I think you did very well...comparing the everyday rat-race to a swim meet. We all "dive in" every morning, and a lot drag home in the evening. With the competitive lines, were you likening them to getting ahead, in the job, in the world, being better than another?

Nice work,
Kris

the poet's pen...gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name ~ Shakespeare

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
3 posted 2000-04-11 01:37 AM

Being better than another, meering everybodies expectations, stuff like that. Thanks for being so nice about this first attempt e.m. !!

Love and hugs,
Lizzie

"Poetry is the true expression of my soul, it is my ultimate means of communication. It is a rainbow of delight."

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2000-04-11 07:02 AM

I've got to agree with Kris.... This poem seems on the surface to be about a swim meet... and it can certainly be interpreted as such.  

Your readers, though, can also look at this piece as a slice of life.  If you picture the duration of your life as a giant competition, in which you're constantly trying to be a stroke ahead of the next contender... this is a great comparison.  I think you've done quite a good job at extended metaphor here...

LOL - The frustration of getting water thrown in my face at every stroke makes me glad I never became a professional swimmer...

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
5 posted 2000-04-11 05:18 PM

Hi Lizzie,

I can't add anything to what has already been said but you did an excellent job IMHO. A swim meet, or any other individual competitive event for that matter, makes a classic metaphor for our day-to-day rat race, as Kris said. And you carried it right through to the bitter end.

Congrats.

Pete

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
6 posted 2000-04-12 12:38 PM

ESP:

Good job of illustrating the old sink-or-swim mentality.  There are a number of good applications of this.  Thanks.

Jim  

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
7 posted 2000-04-19 01:27 PM

i have nothing constructive to add except that i thought that this was very clever ")
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
8 posted 2000-04-27 12:26 PM

I got it! I got it the first time! If I hadn't known before hand that it was a metaphor, I would have applied it as such because that's how my mind works. Everything in life to me is a metaphor. And this one is great! I could apply this one a hundred ways.
Liz

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Extended Metaphor Assignment(Please don't grade it too harshly, Nan!)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary