navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » My first attempt of a villanelle
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic My first attempt of a villanelle Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Bailey
since 2010-04-09
Posts 12
Georgia, US

0 posted 2010-04-09 02:22 PM

I grab my cowgirl hat and go.
My braided pigtails down my back.
For new adventures are in tow.

And for my trespases I bow,
taking roots for the meicine rack,

Off to the river I will go.
The playing currents took my pack!

I take a boat and I must row.
My food and nature were in that sack!
I grab my cowgirl hat and go!

It's getting late and Ma' will know.
I still have hope I will not crack.

I have a plan which is so low.
Reaching for my pack I attack!

Bailey

© Copyright 2010 Bailey Hurst - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2010-04-10 12:00 PM

Hello, Bailey! it is the adventurous high schooler indeed to attempts villanelles and you have done very well.

The syllable counts need to be exact. You have decided to go with eight syllables per line, which is fine, however in the middle lines of the second and fourth stanzas, you use 9 instead of 8, which throws the rhythm off a bit. You employ a very excellent iambic beat throughout the poem....almost. The middle line of the second stanza deviates from it but, when you correct the syllable counts, that may correct itself. The line "reaching for my pack I attack" just doesn't make it at all. It's very clumsy and has no meter that corresponds to any other part of the poem. You need a different line there.

As I told Johan, the Open forum is for posting poetry whereas this forum is for following specific assignments. You will get much more feedback for your writing there.

Very nice to see you!

Bailey
since 2010-04-09
Posts 12
Georgia, US
2 posted 2010-04-17 04:05 PM

Thank you!! I realized the one line that didnt really fit after. I posted here because I wanted the corections they help so much. After seeing your reply I have been able to fix my mistakes. thanks
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » My first attempt of a villanelle

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary