navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » Little Johnny
Open Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic Little Johnny Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 1999-10-13 01:34 AM

This was written with a close friend in mind. He is having a lot of problems, trying to keep his son out of a drug infested home. Recently this young boy came to his father, (whom he only sees very little now,) and drew pictures of drug paraphenalia and explaining the uses his mother had for the various items. I know his mother cares for him, but that just isn't the kind of home a boy needs to grow up in.
But now that my friend is trying to provide a better home for his son, his ex is falling back on the original court order and limiting their time together to a bare minumum.

Little Johnny

"Little Johnny is a problem."
At least that's what's been said.
He fights with all the other boys,
At night he wets his bed.

And he's not doing well at school,
he's more than most can bear.
Never does he do his homework.
He doesn't choose to share.

Johnny never pays attention,
To what the adults say.
And to keep him out of trouble;
A battle every day.

He used to be a bright young lad,
With a smile on his face.
Always respecting his elders,
With them he knew his place.

A charming boy, was loved by all,
So full of energy.
But that smile seems gone forever,
No trace of it we see.

I wonder if it has to do,
anything with his folks.
Because ever since they split up,
His pastime is to sulk.

I know he has a loving home,
His mom takes care of him.
But if he keeps this up I fear,
His future's looking dim.

So what's the matter with this boy?
It's really awfully sad.
The reason Johnny's a problem,
Is ‘cause he misses dad.

© Copyright 1999 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

1 posted 1999-10-13 02:00 AM

Christopher, this is really sad Well written

------------------
What comes from the heart goes to the heart.
Samuel Coleridge

A Romantic Heart
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-03
Posts 5496
Forever In Your Heart
2 posted 1999-10-13 02:14 AM

I understand, I love kids, and I think that it is up to us to help all kids. To be a mentor, a friend. This world is crazy. I think boys especially need more love, because I have been in a crowd and watched how people give all the attention to girls. Boys need love too! I think that is whats wrong with society, they have this male thing (thinking boys don't need love and just need to be macho and never cry) Phoey! that is a lie!men and boys need love and attention. Someone to encourage them and support them, to build up their self esteem. I can not see a mother doing that and doing drugs. Children are a gift! precious!Forgive me for rattleing, but this one struck a nerve and I will stand up for what is right.Emotional poem Chris,you explained your feelings well.
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
3 posted 1999-10-13 03:22 AM

Very well said, Christopher. I tutored third graders for two years here in Bakersfield. Indeed, the "problem" children always seemed to fit this bill. This is one of those sad faces of society today most people refuse to see...the children aren't the problem at all...they're the result.

------------------
Michael Anderson

When God puts a tear in your eye,
He puts a rainbow in your heart.

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 10-13-1999).]

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

4 posted 1999-10-13 04:57 AM

Echoes all the above my friend, you wrote this out well. My nephews were in this boat, which was fast sinking, for quite some time before the problem was eventually booted from the home. That was a distinct pleasure, all three times. This last was exactly that, but his actions and her acceptance have caused considerable harm to my nephews. Thank you my friend for this reminder.

A thought, perception is the key to reality. I wonder if you have heard the mother's side or if you only know what you are told of her side. I doubt not your friend's word but what we say and do is clouded by our perceptions.

------------------
Nothing is worse than sorrow,
except perhaps disdain.
I'll be myself tomorrow,
tonight I'll feel the pain.

DreamEvil©

[This message has been edited by DreamEvil (edited 10-13-1999).]

Watcher666
since 1999-10-13
Posts 1606

5 posted 1999-10-13 07:22 AM

The people of the courts should be force to live one week in the life of a chils such as this.He deserves his chance...hooe it comes to him soon! Well written Wolf!

------------------
Illusion...what we see and what we do...it's all up to you.

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
6 posted 1999-10-13 09:37 AM

Chris....this is so sad, I wish your friend and his son all the luck in the world
Ohme
since 1999-07-17
Posts 816
Texas
7 posted 1999-10-13 09:45 AM

I understand the emotion. Breathed a sigh of relief meself when the grand kids finally got enough maturity to make some changes in their life. I always look for light at the end of the tunnel. Hope they find it too.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
8 posted 1999-10-13 11:02 AM

Dark Angel, It is sad and thank you for the compliment!

RH- YOu are right, they are a gift. But too many people see them as a hindreance as opposed to being the wonder that they are. Thank you and feel free to ramble, I do...

Michael- Once again bro, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Dream- Yes, actually I have heard both sides. I have known "her" for over ten years, though I have never cared for her. Even though I supported my friend's decision to marry her, I let him know that I felt she wasn't right for him. I regret only in this particular instance being right. After "Johhny" drew these pictures for his dad, he has gone around and asked for declarations from all the people who know her, and without exception, they have all supported the claims... she herself when confronted with the issue would not deny them. It is very sad, and even with the bitterness in her in his heart, my fiend only wants to get her help, because he realizes that his son needs a mother as much as a father. Thank you friend alo, for realizing that there is always more than one side of the story!

Watcher- TY very much. Yes, they should be forced to...I heard some even more depressing news than this tonight...if you really want to be angry at the system, I'll tell you tonight!

Ruth- TY as well and I will tell him your wishes are with him, I know any kind thoughts are a blessing to him right now.

Ohme- TY as well, and I am glad to hear about your grandchildren... I ask not that any child be treated differently than oanother, only as you say, given the chance!

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 10-13-1999).]

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
9 posted 1999-10-13 01:17 PM

What a beautiful poem. Your friend and his boy are in my prayers and thought. To have children is, to my opinion, a precious gift and a blessing. I am honoured my children choose me to be their mother. What else can I do than love them and do everything in my power to guide them to adulthood ? I will never understand how any parent can do anything harmful to child. Every child needs and deserves love and tender care, an understanding heart and a shoulder to cry on and, yes "Romantic Heart", boys and men too. Especially them, as they are forgotten too easily. : )

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
10 posted 1999-10-13 01:24 PM

Well you know what I would do? I would keep those drawings that he's made and present them to the judge. The pictures may speak louder than words. I really feel for all involved, it's a sad situation. But if he is around that, he certainly shouldn't have to be if their is a better way. They shall be in my prayers!
Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
11 posted 1999-10-13 01:48 PM

this is very sad and very moving
Christopher. My heart goes out to all
involved, but especially "Johnny".

------------------

May your days be filled with lots of sunshine and your nights lit up by golden moonbeams

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
12 posted 1999-10-13 03:00 PM

Thank you, Christopher, for bringing this to light and for making us all think. Well done.
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

13 posted 1999-10-13 06:12 PM

Simply awful. Beautifully written poem though. Children always bear the consequences of their parents actions, be they good or bad. It really makes you wonder about their chances in life, and how the next generation's children will suffer. I think your friend is lucky to have you there to support him (I know I'M lucky!). Thank God this child has a lucid father to help him.
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
14 posted 1999-10-13 08:16 PM

Chris: Sounds like another little one in need of hugs..not to mention compassion and understanding..

HUSG

------------------
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
15 posted 1999-10-13 08:18 PM

Chris: Sounds like another one in need of hugs..not to mention compassion and understanding..

HUSG

------------------
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » Little Johnny

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary