navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » A Tough Job
Open Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Tough Job Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois

0 posted 1999-08-04 11:48 AM

Would you take a job
That gave you no pay
That didn't give you thanks
On any given day?

Would you work from 6 am
To only who knows when
And get up in the morning
And do it all again?

A job with no vacations
No days off here and there
One you can't come home from
And relax in your chair.

A job with no instructions
To tell you what to do
One you thought you understood
But never really knew.

A job that has no end
Time limits not the day
But you wouldn't give it up
No shape, no form, NO WAY!

Some may think it plush
But I tell you it is not
It seems the toughest one
I have ever got.

The job it is quite taxing
The benefits are few
But you'd do it all again
When your child smiles at you!

To all those stay at home mom's who take the time to take of their kids...and get no or little thanks...

THANKS!

And to all those who do it while juggling jobs on top of it all.

God Bless you.

[This message has been edited by WhtDove (edited 08-04-99).]

© Copyright 1999 WhtDove - All Rights Reserved
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

1 posted 1999-08-04 12:01 PM

Very good tribute to a definitely under-appreciated part of our society.

------------------
Shall I indulge in flights of fancy hampered by clipped wings?
DreamEvil©

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
2 posted 1999-08-04 12:49 PM

The only thing I can say I don't agree with in your great piece of work sweets is the part about "The benefits are few"...When you see your kids grow, mature and turn out to be a fine contribution to society, then the benefits are grand! I know many people must work to make ends meet....stay at home "moms" have an extremely difficult job...the very toughest sometimes.....but the result is fantastic most of the time.....Kids getting one on one attention, being motivated to do things, not being raised by baby sitters/day care...(that are usually over-crowded)..neglect....whether it be neglect in motivation....or just plain attention, have to "find" things to do on their own....and many times....those "things" are what have put our society into the mess it is now.....Not all kids that have to come home to an empty house turn out that way...but many do....Being a "stay at home mom" as Dr. Laura Schlessinger calls them, is a very admirable and tough job...and they truly have my admiration.....great poem! Great tribute!
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
3 posted 1999-08-04 06:23 PM

Toerag I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Right now mine are not of that age, and I feel under appreciated. The age of arguments,and fighting, won't pick up after themselves. But I agree! Actually the love you get is a benefit! I thank you for your comment.

Sally S.
since 1999-06-07
Posts 847
Ohio
4 posted 1999-08-04 06:32 PM

I'll never regret staying home with my little ones....It has been the most wonderful experience I've had. (Along with the most tiring, difficult and under appreciated..as you point out.) Yes, I'd do it again...you bet. (Thank goodness I'm not..LOL) It's a great feeling knowing that I am the person responsible for the up bringing of my children. Loved the poem...wonderful!!
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 1999-08-04 06:48 PM

Well done, WhtDove. It's not a job, though. It's a work of love and I believe there is a difference. The rewards are endless and richly satisfying, as you well know.
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
6 posted 1999-08-04 07:06 PM

Well thank you Balladeer, coming from you that is quite a compliment. Yes, I love my children, poor choice of words I suppose.
I am thankful I have been able to stay home for as long as I have with them. They are my life and I could imagine it no other way!

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
7 posted 2011-02-19 09:37 PM

I hope all the "stay at home Moms" take a peek at this poem.  It's a keeper for sure .. and I am not a Mom.

A

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » A Tough Job

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary