navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » holiday cheer forum
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic holiday cheer forum Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2005-12-18 03:37 PM

i'm not sure i see the purpose of this forum when open is inundated with holiday poems year round.
threads are often moved from one forum to another more fitting, except in the case of holiday poems.

i think the poems should either be moved from open, or the holiday cheer forum be changed to something else. the spotlight concept has been thrown about often enough, it's a great idea and would be a far better use of resources.

shrugs

© Copyright 2005 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2005-12-18 04:16 PM

Well I try to utilize the holiday forum--but to start restricting Open forum kinda negates the definition of it. I agree, it's kinda sad to see the lights unlit in Holiday forum.

Yet? *chuckle* It's not as bad as February.

Valentine's Day, when you're an unhappy "sweetheart" can be maddening for some. *grin*wink*hug*

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
2 posted 2005-12-18 09:41 PM

I'm not about restricting open, and i'm not against holiday poetry persay. Mature language/subject matter posts are moved to the Mature section, rants in Announcements are moved to the Alley, religious comments/questions are moved to Philosophy.

Why have another forum for it if it's there? It seems a waste of resources(moderators and sitespace) that could be used for existing forums or for a new addition.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2005-12-19 10:28 AM

quote:
Mature language/subject matter posts are moved to the Mature section, rants in Announcements are moved to the Alley, religious comments/questions are moved to Philosophy.

The first two are true, Raph, and are designed to give people a choice. The third shouldn't be true, and I'm sure we could both find threads spread throughout the forums that rest on a foundation of faith (or, at least, on one of hope). Even were it true, however, the analogy would fall apart, because we don't have a forum call Open Discussion.

Holiday Cheer, at one time, had a special purpose.

Back in 1999, Members with a fair number of posts under their belt (and I don't even remember what that number was) would find an icon associated with their poetry that no longer exists today. Clicking that icon would take the poem they just posted in a forum and automatically submit it to the main site, with, indeed, a slight boost in priority. Back then, I was spending countless hours editing submissions to the main site and the logic was that our "trusted" Members in the forums would be submitting poetry that actually (gasp) had already been run through a spell check. It wasn't a bad system at all, and our new forum software, when it's finally finished, will resurrect that little Submission icon.

At any rate, Holiday Cheer operated under more relaxed rules.

I wanted more poetry for the Special Occasions and Holidays section on the main site, so the new forum allowed any Member, regardless of number of previous posts, to submit directly to the main site. It was supposed to be a fast-track to help fill a need. It was shortly after that, however, that the whole system broke down and I felt it necessary to close submissions to the main site entirely. Of course, that's an entirely different (and much, much longer) story.

So, the long and short of it, Raph, is that you're right: Holiday Cheer no longer serves the purpose for which it was created. It continues to exist as much from inertia as anything else. I would certainly never throw away good poetry (and, so far, never have), but moving poetry from 1999 upwards into current forums presents something of an awkward anomaly. I haven't worried too much about it because I know the new software has been designed with these kinds of problems in mind, and what is awkward today will mesh quite nicely in the new system.

Which, I suppose, is just a very long-winded way of saying, "Soon."

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2005-12-19 01:34 PM

Thank you, Ron ... for all the poetic Christmas Cards found in the Holiday Cheer forum~

A treasured chance for me to contact some members who may (or may not) receive an email that lets them know they have brightened our lives with the beauty of their thoughts ... even after all the Christmas holidays that have passed~

Ron

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*No matter what I search for ...
let me know when it is LOVE that I find*~ <))><

Email -         noles1@totcon.com       

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
5 posted 2005-12-19 02:12 PM

Thanks for responding Ron. We all know how quickly the Open forum moves and it's a shame that posts can get buried quickly in the flood, especially at holiday time. I just thought it a logical way to limit the clutter and to utilize a forum that already exists. The alternate suggestion was not to erase the Holiday forum, that could be archived, but to maybe use resources that go into that forum for a new forum like the one Mysteria suggested.
latteaddict213
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2006-02-17
Posts 523
Colorado
6 posted 2006-06-27 09:10 PM

Well I use the holiday cheer form. When I really miss a certian holiday or when ever I feel like it. I don't want you to archive it. That would really stink. I like holiday cheer.

Jessica    

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » holiday cheer forum

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary