navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » a cap on new memberships..
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic a cap on new memberships.. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2005-12-18 03:30 PM

don't get me wrong, i think the influx of fresh faces was needed and there a few whose work i'm really interested in watching. however, i think it's a bit much now and it should be capped. let's see where the latest batch is going, how much they're contributing to the forums and how many of them get involved(moderating). maybe let in another group every few months.
© Copyright 2005 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
1 posted 2005-12-18 03:55 PM

It sounds like an interesting suggestion, however I would have to respectfully disagree...
Where would your favorite poets on PIP be if there was a waiting list when they attempted to join? Had there been a waiting list when Kristie brought me here, I would not have stuck with the blue pages, and would not have become a better person for having been here. I don't want to miss my next favorite poet, and don't want the next screwed up person to miss their chance to meet all of these great people.

"...and as we drift along, I never fail to be astounded by the things we'll do for promises..."
Ronnie James Dio

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2005-12-18 06:47 PM

I have to agree with Ringo. Passions was never meant to be a private or even semi-private club with a limited group of members. Membership has always been open to anyone and the only reason it became restricted was because there were a few "problem" individuals determined to rejoin for trouble making activities. I believe.

It would be pretty "elitist" of us to act as selected ones and have new members prove their worth to the site to us. Why not do the same for the current and old members then? If they are not contributing in the same way you suggest the new members do then do we bump them out to make rooms for others? Of course not...

Ron can correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that Passions is open to all and there are no quotas to maintain and no judges to determine who is beneficial to the site and who isn't.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
3 posted 2005-12-18 09:30 PM

i didn't mean to come off as elitist, and i certainly didn't mean to imply labeld like 'worth'. nevermind
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2005-12-19 10:48 AM

Registration is capped, at least in a sense.

It was open this past weekend, for example, but was closed from Friday to Monday the week before. Essentially, I twist the faucet any time I feel there's too great an imbalance between the amount of work required to ensure our Guidelines are maintained and the number of people who have volunteered to help with that work. When either side of that teeter-totter shifts too much, I close down registrations until a balance is again maintained.

While I feel badly when anyone is turned away, I'm not willing to sacrifice our quality. Growth, as it comes, needs to be controlled at least enough to make sure our problems don't grow faster than our ability to cope with them.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
5 posted 2005-12-19 02:18 PM

Thanks Ron, that's exactly what I meant. I wasn't aware you still capped from time to time. Simply saw the influx of new members I made the suggestion hoping the balance wouldn't be lost.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » a cap on new memberships..

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary