navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » "Revision" Button
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic "Revision" Button Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2003-12-15 05:24 PM

Would it be possible to create some sort of "Revision" button in critical analysis so that the revision may be posted in the same thread but in the field where the poem is or right underneath the poem, somehow?  It would allow poets to post revision in the same thread as the original and the critic to look at original replies and both of the poems together for comparison.  I'm not sure if it is possible or plausible.  Just wished to suggest it while it was in mind.  

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-15-2003 05:25 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
1 posted 2003-12-15 08:21 PM

Not a bad idea.  Meantime I think you could come up with a fancy way of doing that in HTML if you really wanted to pioneer a new trend.

Faith is a fine invention
When gentlemen can see
But microscopes are prudent
In an emergency.
~~~Emily Dickinson

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2003-12-15 08:56 PM

I must be missing something here? If you want a revision to be in the same thread, just use the "Post Reply" button and add it.

While I can see the advantage of displaying the two versions side-by-side, I would think the disadvantages would be far greater. When you start changing the order of the discussion, by inserting new content above old comments, things can get very confusing very quickly. Which critique is addressing which poem again? Anything added to correct that confusion would be at the cost of simplicity. Linear works pretty well.

On the other hand, if you add your revision to the end of the thread, and still want to see the poems side-by-side, it's as simple as opening a new window.

I completely agree that we need more "tools" to make critiquing easier and more comprehensive. I just don't think this would be one of them.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
3 posted 2003-12-15 10:52 PM

That's true.

If only they could be put on one page somehow so they could be right there when you are writing the reply.
Could a member somehow checkmark the posts of a thread he wishes to address (perhaps on the topic review page) and have them show up on the reply-page itself so he doesn't have to flipflop and scroll through the rest when he's looking back, quoting, copying and pasting etc ? It is not that big of a deal.  It might make it a bit eaier for the critics toils though lol

*Also I was wondering if a token or colour could be put on the folder of a poem to indicate that revision has been posted in the thread; and could he be bumped back to the top again?

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-16-2003 10:31 AM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
4 posted 2003-12-16 10:59 AM

I am better at using pictures/diagrams sometimes
I hope this is a clearer example of my suggestion above      

Post 0

-----------
    Text
    -----------

Post 25

-----------
    Text
    -----------

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-16-2003 05:01 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » "Revision" Button

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary