navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Forum for Poetry Readings
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic Forum for Poetry Readings Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2002-01-21 12:59 PM

I just put a 'recital' of one of my poems on my website:
http://www.poetdevine.netpoets.net

The link to the page is on the first page...now remember, this is the first time I've recorded one so the procedure is not perfected (the poem keeps repeating..sigh..so I'll have to work on that).

I think it would be cool if we had a place to put our recorded poetry so we can all hear each other reciting. It would have to have a limit as the files can be large (boy did I struggle with that but then found that WindowsXP has a program to convert .wav files to .mp3 files!).

What do you think?

© Copyright 2002 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
1 posted 2002-01-21 01:27 PM

I love this idea. . . I think that it would be wonderful to hear the poets reading their work. . . it's a great way to hear what the poet was feeling when they wrote the poem. . .

and. . . aside from that. . . it would be nice to put a voice with some of the "poetic voices" that we have. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2002-01-21 01:41 PM

That was beautiful, PdV! And I like the idea of static recited poetry.That was the primary reason I made a club at yahoo...for the voice chat, so we could actually read our works to each other and hear the inflections and accents of the readers. (BTW, if you ever get Temptress laughing, she sounds like a squirrel on helium)
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2002-01-21 01:41 PM

Truly 'Voices on the Web'??!!
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

4 posted 2002-01-21 01:56 PM

Yes....if its possible for Ron to do without too much work...that would be very cool...Parker has done several in past opens and it was a perfect way to present the poetry and showcase his cadence...(and his smmmoooth voice)   love those SSSSS's LOL
Sharon...I cant wait to hear yours...will be checking that out soon

We wish ourselves beautiful ... we cry in the night.
It's not the love you feared ... but the fall from the height.

E.M.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
5 posted 2002-01-21 02:02 PM

The only prob I see with having such a thing here at PiP is bandwidth and server space. I mean, how many members do we have? And how much space would be taken up if each one only read one poem? Don't get me wrong..I love the idea, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be here on a larger scale. Now...a chat/voice forum attached to PiP and part of PiP...that would be cool, but I think it would siphon off the people who would normally type and post. Kinda like the other chat areas do, here and elsewhere.
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2002-01-21 02:03 PM

LOL @ Ali!!!!!

Now that I've got my system up and running, maybe we should to a Yahoo chat some night instead of the MSN (though I think THAT has turned out to be a great idea - mades lots of new friends there).

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 2002-01-21 02:13 PM

I loved hearing your poem, Sharon!  This is a good idea, I think.
Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
8 posted 2002-01-21 02:17 PM

It wouldn't play on my work machine..
Going to try at home.

I found that mp3 was the best and smallest size. Doesn't a direct link not work anymore?
If not maybe a forum that does so whoever goes in will know to be aware that they may be blasted with sound, or even a options that changes the colour so they know.

I really wanted to hear that deVine voice.

Parker

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
9 posted 2002-01-21 02:17 PM

Sounds good, though some of the regulars we've picked at MSN, they might think we've dropped off the face of the earth.  

We can figure something out though...we's multitaskin fools.

For reference, since I'm sure the addy is buried in an announcement thread somewhere, here's the yahoo addy:  http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/passionsinpoetry . Hope ya'll can remember your user names and passwords....

Oh, Parker, we've found a smaller size than MP3. We decode the MP3 (which makes a huge wav) then compress the wav using windows sound recorder. We use MPEG Layer-3 24 kBit/s, 11,025 Hz, Stereo, which generally turns a 3meg mp3 into a 400kb wav, without a noticible loss of sound quality.

[This message has been edited by Alicat (01-21-2002 02:21 PM).]

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
10 posted 2002-01-21 02:21 PM

Considering the space problem... if the direct link worked in this particular forum
then passions wouldn't have to worry, because you'd just point to your own web space where ever it is. Lots of free web space sites to use too.

Parker

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2002-01-21 02:34 PM

You did a great job with that one Sharon...and it IS fun to hear everyone's voices. And laughing at Ali, over here, I have heard that laugh of the Temptress, and I thought she sounded like a munchkin on acid! (She's gonna kill us both yanno...) And I think it's a great idea, even though I don't know how to do that yet!
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
12 posted 2002-01-21 02:42 PM

There would have to be a limit of one or two per month per member I think.
Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
13 posted 2002-01-21 03:44 PM

PdV, I like listening to other poets to see if my idea of their poem is how they actually read it.
The repeating on your site is great cause it was breaking up the first couple of times while it was loading.
It is odd to hear the voices of you all. Now I just need some faces to go with it and I will feel like I really know you all.

Dee

I wish you every happiness and may you always have the best of the good things in life.     a brand

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
14 posted 2002-01-21 06:16 PM

You do a great recital, Sharon... It gives me the incentive to do the same again - I havent' recorded one in a long time... Where IS that headset anyway?... Last seen, my Teddy Bear was wearing them...
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
15 posted 2002-01-22 02:51 PM

Sharon. That was just wonderful. Now I have a voice to put with your work..and a wonderful one at that, Lady! I didn't mind the repeat. I listened a couple of times.

Talking about me while I'm unable to defend myself because of lack of internet access, eh? Hmm...Geesh...and here I thought I'd be remembered for my wonderful way with the reciting of poetry! **AHEM**

All I have to say about these horrid HORRID accusations about my laugh is..that they're prolly all true! BUT if ya don't want me laughin' then don't do some of the silly stuff you guys do in there! ITS ALL YOUR FAULTS! Ohh..and did anyone know its kind of interesting to recite poetry while ever SLIGHTLY intoxicated? Umm... intoxicated on what, you ask? err...WHY POETRY OF COURSE! and the company of friends.
See??
SEE?? I'm being NICE although you all were having a laugh at my expense! Don't you all feel like horrid little poet people now?

Well..I love you all anyways!

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
16 posted 2002-01-22 05:27 PM

We love you too, Tempting One.

We've been doing the MSN chat room for a few weeks now, and will probably slate a night for Yahoo this week. I'll be sure to let ya'll know when, both here and at the MSN chat.

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
17 posted 2002-01-23 10:31 AM

Sharon,
I read your lovely poem and very much enjoyed hearing it read in your own voice.  You are such an important part of what Passions means to me!  Now if I could hear others read, (including Ron) I would feel as if I knew you all a little better.
Thank-you,
you are a very talented person!

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
18 posted 2002-01-23 02:00 PM

I WANNNA JOIN IN! This calls for a Jenn's kicking and screaming fit icon!

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
19 posted 2002-01-23 02:03 PM

Poet deVine, you should put a download link to the poem for us that it doesn't seem to work on.

Also that small sound file you mentioned did it end up being a .wav or a .mp3

I know with my recording software (trial version ) "Cool Edit" you can set the mp3 file to many quality levels for the final size. Obviously the higher the level the better the sound and bigger file. I recommend anybody pick up Cool Edit for this its got all kinds of features. I found setting the final record level at around 14,000 to be ok without the sound degrading too much.
Cool Edit also does all sound file formats and can convert to any.

If we link to our own sites and maintain the the files there, Ron wont have a space issue and we won't have a limit on the number of recitals we could do per month. He could put a option in our members profile that points to the location of our sound files. That way if we move to another site our sound files will still play in the archives if the forum ever gets that large.

Parker

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
20 posted 2002-01-23 02:08 PM

I read your beautiful poetry and hoped to hear your voice too, but it didn't work at my pc. I reload the page several times but it still don't work for me

Charisma

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
21 posted 2002-01-27 01:44 AM

Same here with me You didn't do that on purpose uhhh??? Leaving us Dutchies out of the fun to hear you recite
Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Want to use the pics on my website? Just send me a mail and I'll give you the link.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

22 posted 2002-01-27 09:38 AM

I couldn't hear you either, Sharon
Maybe a link would work for me, I don't know. I've never been able to hear Parker's or Jon's links. (?) Do I need some software other than RealAudio, I wonder? HELP!!!

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
23 posted 2002-01-28 07:45 PM

Okay, all you crazy PiPsters who desire voice chat! This Wednesday, January 30, we'll be holding a voice chat session at our Yahoo club. Just scroll up for the address.  

So...get your mics and headsets primed, turn on your 5.1 speakers, and make your poetry selections....or improvise. We'll be waiting fer ya.

Fesitivies will commence after normal work hours, EST. For those who might need to setup or configure their mic settings, Yahoo has a small, nifty program: http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/voice/vwiz/vwiz-03.html .

Ya'll have a good un!

Alicat
Yahoo: persnikitty

[This message has been edited by Alicat (01-28-2002 07:51 PM).]

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
24 posted 2002-01-29 12:26 PM

Well well well, I finally got to hear it....
Ms deVine.... wonderful recital, enjoyed very much. Its so good to hear other poets recite. More please..

Denise, check your internet options in your browser. I use Internet Explorer and if you got into tools, then internet options, then advanced. Make sure the box for playing sounds is checked under multimedia.
If that doesn't work, can you play other sounds on your system?

Parker

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
25 posted 2002-01-30 12:05 PM

you have a wonderful voice, sharon!

you read your work beautifully!!

do you go to poetry readings?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
26 posted 2002-01-30 06:58 AM

Poetry readings? NO That would mean speaking in front of a bunch of people..NO...I don't think I read poetry very well at all!! NO NO It was hard enough for me to read this poem - to me it sounds forced. They rhyming sounds hokey.
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
27 posted 2002-01-30 12:41 PM

sorry, sharon, i beg to differ with you... the rhyming did not sound forced or hokey and your recitation was emotive, sensual and fluid. seriously!

you should go to poetry readings and watch others get up there and recite until you build up the nerve to do it yourself.

wanna come with me? hehe (i'm trying to convince myself, too, since the live presentation of poetry is a dimension of verse which i think all writers should experience.... awww come on!! meet me next tues night a 9... lol)

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
28 posted 2002-01-30 07:31 PM

doreen, why don't you do one of your great pieces here so we can hear your voice to...

Please pretty please...

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
29 posted 2002-01-31 05:39 PM

oh my goodness....I tried again and had no hope that I could hear the poem....but....I did and it was really nice to hear your voice.

It is so amazing that we can share so much with the world with only our pc to connect to each other.

Thank you for sharing Sharon.

((hugs))
Charisma

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Forum for Poetry Readings

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary