navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #2 » the shackles of necessity
Open Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic the shackles of necessity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
desperado
since 1999-05-24
Posts 312
FT Hood,Tx

0 posted 1999-09-12 01:04 AM

naked I stand inside my twisted mind
alone within the dream I perpetuate
drowned by the things I forelornly indulge
my servitude, the chains that bind me
as I dwell amongst the shadows of my spirit
a blackend version of my former self
a slave to the habit I deeply detest
a victim of my own overseclusion
warped by the ignorance of my naive heart
I lie trapped under the ashes of my former being
yet this being is not completely dead
the root within still remains alive
though the outside is litered with mind numbing graffiti
the inside is only slightly touched by that same destructive force
the destructive force that made me who I am
the same force that dwells with in me like a beast within a saint
the one force that dwells within the greatest fears that our mother has to offer
and as this force tugs at me I have only one choice to make
should I remain the tortured mass I am today
or rise above these shackles and find the light of day

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 09-12-99).]

© Copyright 1999 James Webster - All Rights Reserved
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
1 posted 1999-09-12 01:24 AM

"should I remain the tortured mass I am today
or rise above these shackles and find the light of day"
Sometimes we find we are bound only by shackles we have placed upon ourselves...but regardless, when we've gotten that low, the only place to go is up.
Nicely written!!

------------------
"The role of the writer is not to say what we can all say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anais Nin

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
2 posted 1999-09-12 11:09 PM

Not bad, ya NUT!
Justin Thyme
since 1999-09-13
Posts 216
Oz
3 posted 1999-09-14 11:29 PM

Back to zee top!!...
johnt300
since 1999-09-12
Posts 214
san diego, ca.
4 posted 1999-09-14 11:35 PM

I really enjoyed this one! I really like your style of writing. Thank you.
Tyson

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 1999-09-15 08:02 PM

Hey Des - I like this one - It's really good - but I'd expect nothing less from you - you know that..... *hugs*
Justin Kace
since 1999-09-13
Posts 82
Oz
6 posted 1999-09-15 08:51 PM

This is a wonderful poem. You seem to be quite talented, just in case you didn't know.

-JK

pandora
since 1999-07-26
Posts 184

7 posted 1999-09-15 11:23 PM

I am glad you are working on your self improvement and rising above your "former self". I am glad you've chosen to write about how you will no longer be "slave" to "the habit I deeply detest".... slavery to any habit can be devistating and can destroy you in mind, body and spirit. These are positive words from a deeply serious human being, clearly caught in turmoil and battling destructive tendencies. I think you need to get out more and learn to have a laugh or two with friends once in a while. Take a trip out of your normal surroundings and learn to relax a little, k? E-mail me. Maybe we can become penpals.

luv, pan

Justin Thyme
since 1999-09-13
Posts 216
Oz
8 posted 1999-09-15 11:28 PM

Did you notice that twin my brother, Justin Kace, and I look remarkably like Groucho Marx? Just wondering....
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
9 posted 1999-09-17 03:45 AM

I am proud to have looked over your shoulder while you penned this. You are truly as gifted as you are crazy.

I hope your enjoying the hurrican...hehe - guess I got out of there just in time, huh?

Post something new - would ya already?

Michael

desperado
since 1999-05-24
Posts 312
FT Hood,Tx
10 posted 1999-09-20 03:30 PM

micheal - ok ok I'm working on it. fixing to have time to do it once more, but that will only last a week. I'm enlisting in the army as an intelligence officer (hopefully). I've got basic in a few weeks so I'm busy making sure everything is in order for me to go (physicals and forms and paper work and signatures on the dotted line). I'm going to get it worked in that I spend a minimuim 2 years in germany (or more correctly europe) as part of my enlistment. maybe I'll get you guys on over one year. would be nice to go and check out the country side of some of the most historic parts of the world. I'll keep in touch though. so don't worry.

Nan - thanks hun. I know you don't, and I aim to please.

Justin Kase and Thyme - really? most twins have the same last name and different first names. just an observation. hehe

john - glad you enjoyed it.

Mrs. Owl - a wonderful observation. we seldom rise above the shackles we place on ourselves because we feel that to do so would be wrong. when one shackles themselves into positions that one cannot handle then one must decide if the action to get out is wrong or the etho that placed that shackle on you is wrong. it is neither a nice decission nor an easy one. but it is one that few like to make. I enjoyed that quote though =-)

pandora - perhaps the greatest thing about a writer is their ability to understand things from anothers point of view. if one can put themselves in that persons shoes with out actually being there, then they have accheived the ultimate goal of identifying with their audience in my most humble and honest opinion.

beowulf_26
since 1999-06-29
Posts 183

11 posted 1999-09-20 09:33 PM

It is evident that you are a exeptionally introspective and intelligent individual. I've recently debated the fact with friends that the reason many people do not shine is because of the "shackles" (I use the term loosely) they place on themselves. The topic of discussion was whether people can transcend these chains. I personally believe that they do and I appreciate someone as yourself who feels the same way.
Beki
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1569
Newport Beach, CA, USA
12 posted 1999-09-20 10:10 PM

This is very insightful.....and there is no choice, from the bottom you can only rise....so smile and lift yourself out from and above the chains!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #2 » the shackles of necessity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary