navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » Athena doesn't like me no more!
Bug Swatter
Post A Reply Post New Topic Athena doesn't like me no more! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands

0 posted 2002-02-11 06:01 PM

Hi Ron,

I am a little confused. Since I use Netscape 6 Athena doesn't welcome me anymore, nor does she show me those cute starry twinkling lights of where to find new topics/replies. However, when I hit the login button, she does know who I am. I already deleted and restored my cookies and even made some changes in my profile. On top of that the "Today's Topics" page is frozen since 3.49 PM. today. Funny enough I have none of the above problems when I use Explorer 5, but no matter how wonderful it is to see Athena greet me with a smile... I love using Netscape! Ya think it's puberty?

© Copyright 2002 Munda - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2002-02-11 06:23 PM

I hope you at least have version 6.2, Munda.

The first version, 6.0, was completely unusable, and 6.1 was only a little better. I've heard that 6.2 fixes "some" of the biggest problems, but, uh …

Unlike previous Netscape browsers (I still use 4.7x), the 6 series was NOT written by Netscape. Instead, it was written by several thousand programmers being led by AOL. They call it Open Source ('cause anyone can get the source code), but it's still just a mouse designed by a committee (i.e., an elephant). Did I mention it also reportedly installs all sorts of AOL stuff on your machine? I'm afraid you're going to find you have problems at a LOT of web sites, not just our forums. In fact, most sites that use JavaScript will bomb with NS 6.x. I know Nan tried it for a while, so maybe she can give you some tips?

I'll bet you can tell I'm not terribly thrilled by it?  

I test all of our software with Netscape (the real one) and IE, as well as webTV, and try to make it work several versions back. But I can't test it with NS 6.x unless I'm willing to install AOL's version on my computer. And, frankly, I intend to avoid that as long as I can.

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
2 posted 2002-02-11 06:47 PM

Thank you for the explanation Ron. I'm using version 6.1 at the moment and only upgraded from 4.7 because it took such a long time to load the pages with the older version. Alas, my 'puter is getting "old" and the newer version of Netscape seemed to solve that problem. Oh well, no such luck uh? I'll try 6.2 and will ask Nan for tips and tricks. If nothing works... back to good 'ol 4.7 it is. Thanks.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » Athena doesn't like me no more!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary