navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Shadow's Play (Part I)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Shadow's Play (Part I) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2000-09-06 07:33 AM

She’d slept half of the day away.  Again.  She knew right away upon awakening that it was going to be one of those days.  Amazing thing, really.  To be in a lifeless coma of sleep and wake so quickly, so urgently, heart racing, head pounding, breathless—with that swirling, churning, vortex of energy threatening to surge and blow off the top of her head.  Jumping up from the bed, she was instantly in a state of fight-or-flight.  

She grabbed her cigarettes, cursing her lighter for not being there, and flew to the stove in panic, pausing only briefly to gaze in fascination at the yellow and blue flame rising up from the burner.  She barely noticed the stink of singed hair as she lit a cigarette, inhaling deeply, enjoying the burn expanding in her lungs.  She had a fondness for fire, and she paused before turning off the gas, a brief respite of peace in the very sight of flickering flame.  A moment of bemusement overtook her, and in spite of herself she smiled, amused at the thought of loving fire and hating the sun.  Every morning she crept off to bed at dawn, dodging breaking rays of light as though they were lasers, cringing at the sounds of the world waking up.  She smiled again, gazing with affection at the warmth and the glow of it—warmth without the scorch, just enough light in darkness to call the shadows out to play.  She loved it, and reluctantly shut off the stove.

She began smoking and pacing.  She turned the television on, and then shut it off in disgust.  She went to the stereo, restlessly sorting through the cds—and finally, something satisfied her.  (AC/DC—perfect.)   She popped it in the slot and cranked it, rattling the loose molding that lined the ceiling.  (“You…shook me all night long…”)  For one brief moment she was happy, sitting cross-legged on the floor, when the cold creep of dread passed through her, and she turned the music down, and cocked her head to one side, cigarette in mouth, listening.  The dog mimicked her pose, and then began barking gleefully.

She heard the car door slam and the sound registered through her like a punch in the stomach.  “Damn…” she thought, “already?”  and she sighed as she turned off the power and scrambled to the couch so that she would be in her designated position when he walked in the door.  She broke out in a misty sweat as she fought the urge to vomit.  The dread increased when she heard the mailbox rattle and then the slam of the lid.  ****.  She had forgotten the mail.  Again.

She saw her cigarette lighter, right where she had not seen it before, and gratefully lit another smoke as she watched the doorknob turn…just as she had for the past ten years of her life.   The Lord of The Manor was home.

She tried to smile, and suddenly found she could, watching Man and Dog greet each other.  Truly it was like watching one of those Charlie Brown and Snoopy reunions…(“HEY…”) and another instant moment of emotion passed through her as she felt twinges of jealousy and envy.  Rueful, she smiled, as she thought, “too bad I’m not half the ***** that she is…”

She watched him glance through the mail.   He tossed the letters on the dusty piano, and turned, finally, and spoke:

“Can’t even get the goddamned mail now?”

She’d seen it coming, so she did not react.  She simply stared at him.

He shook his head and began walking to the bedroom.

“How was your day dear?”  she called, trying to hide that snarl of sarcasm that seemed to rule her voice much too much these days.  And he stopped then, his back toward her, and asked,

“Are you coming with me tonight or what?”

Just on a whim, maybe even because she had found the fight part of her fight-or-flight -anxiety attack, she surprised herself by answering,

“Why not?  Sure.  I’ll wear bells.”  She watched his shoulders rise in a shrug, as he still stood not facing her and answered.  “Well, then, get ready, would you?”

The destination was an outdoor concert by the lake, featuring a band that she regarded as insignificant even when they were a success.  She was grinning in the shower in five minutes, thinking, “What the hell?  Maybe tonight I can fight and flight…”

Normally it was a monumental challenge for her to get ready to go anywhere.  There always seemed to be too many decisions to make, she had to listen to so many complaints, from traffic, to one of the kids sitting too close to each other, and it was just always something---more like everything, and the whole bunch looked to her, always to mediate—“Stop it.  Stop It.  STOP IT.”  It had become the mantra of her life.

She brushed her hair back, pulling it into a tight, wet, knot that she pinned in place.  She surveyed the mirror, and brushed wisps of hair to frame her face, considering.  Make-up?  She thought not.  It was 98 degrees outside and humidity was almost as high.  She did not want to spend the evening worrying about her face sliding off of her face.  Earrings?  Absolutely, silver, double hoops, and she would wear two necklaces tonight, the sterling pendant and a gothic style choker.  With two quick dabs of oil of musk, and her favorite rings, she stole off to the closet.  

She was simply rummaging now.  The slip of coat hangers on metal rod made zipping noises in the air as she eliminated choice after choice.  She was about to give up when she saw it—her Dad’s “ Haband” shirt…white, button down, double pocketed--pockets that just covered her braless breasts.  Perfect.  Normally she slept in it, but this evening she tied it around her waist, adjusting the stiff collar, subconsciously buttoning up way too high.  She looked in the mirror and laughed, for she had forgotten her panties.  White again, she chose, French cut with lace panels inset.  Her favorite pair of blue jeans, white clothed sandals, and she was good to go.  Glancing again in the mirror, though, she frowned and unbuttoned the top button of the shirt.  She paused to consider again, and that grin of evil showed on her face as she unbuttoned two more.  She spied his favorite bandana on the dresser, a British flag, and tied it around her left wrist.  Now she was ready.

© Copyright 2000 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
1 posted 2000-09-06 08:01 AM

WOW, O Serene One....

First couple of reads suggested that this was pacy... brisk and smooth...

I gagged on the "I'll wear bells" line and flipped... "I am a rebel wearing bells" yes thats the punch right there...

In fact I loved the middle section : the man and dog greeting, and the envy .... reference to Charlie Brown... wonderful and unique...

and the whole piece was interspersed with varied lovely and well pronounced images...

Well, I am waiting for Part II now... and a few more reads of this one...

regards,
sudhir

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

2 posted 2000-09-07 10:12 AM

*smiling* ...
feel like Im meeting you there...
wish i was ...(gotta see the roadies)  

sooooooooo on my knees now....
begging for more more more ...
(you know i have strong knees) LOL

you know I love this right...
the edge...the sarcasim...the honesty

>>She had a fondness for fire, and she paused before turning off the gas, a brief respite of peace in the very sight of flickering flame.  A moment of bemusement overtook her, and in spite of herself she smiled, amused at the thought of loving fire and hating the sun.  Every morning she crept off to bed at dawn, dodging breaking rays of light as though they were lasers, cringing at the sounds of the world waking up.  She smiled again, gazing with affection at the warmth and the glow of it—warmth without the scorch, just enough light in darkness to call the shadows out to play.  She loved it, and reluctantly shut off the stove.>>>

this was my fav part...as its SO YOU
and YOU are SO cool ...
later-me-sweetprose-gator
me loves ya ..
me

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
3 posted 2000-09-08 09:15 AM

Serenity-I have read this over and over and all I can say is that I am loving this more with each read.  This is awesome and I am really waiting for part 2.  
Butterflies_dont_cry
Member Elite
since 2000-03-06
Posts 3733
Michigan
4 posted 2000-09-08 05:34 PM

WHEW!!...I never realized I was holding my
breath through most of this...so how did you
sneak in my house without me seeing you???  
Now I want Part 2!!  I want to know the rest
of this one!!   I love your poetry...and now my
dear friend...your Prose ROCKS!!!!!!!
Big ole hugs girl! Love ya!

[This message has been edited by Butterflies_dont_cry (edited 09-08-2000).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2001-02-01 11:02 PM

I went searching for something good to read..and found this..and it IS..VERY good! Get it published!
Swamp¤Faeryie
since 2000-12-04
Posts 393
fairyland....of course;)
6 posted 2001-02-02 01:41 PM

She had a fondness for fire, and she paused before turning off the gas, a brief respite of peace in the very sight of flickering flame.  A moment of bemusement overtook her, and in spite of herself she smiled, amused at the thought of loving fire and hating the sun.  Every morning she crept off to bed at dawn, dodging breaking rays of light as though they were lasers, cringing at the sounds of the world waking up.  She smiled again, gazing with affection at the warmth and the glow of it—warmth without the scorch, just enough light in darkness to call the shadows out to play.  She loved it, and reluctantly shut off the stove

That^ was i think my favorite part,it's descriptive without seeming like you tried to hard and you kind of go a bit into the pyschological aspect of this woman,this was a great story,i too await part 2. this was VERY good!!

Do i contradict myself?Very well i contradict myself.I contain multitudes.~walt whitman

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2001-02-03 12:30 PM

I guess I should write part II...sorry guys, forgot about this one!  But thank you for the encouragement...stay tuned.
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
8 posted 2003-07-24 02:07 PM

Karen...wow...I LOVE THIS!  I'm with JM...I felt
like I was meeting you there.  There is so much
of YOU in this...and your descriptions?...I didn't
just read the words...I WATCHED the story unfold.  
You, my friend, are amazing.

And now?...I must go look for Part II.

"My friends are my estate."
~Emily Dickinson

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2003-07-24 08:26 PM

smile. I couldn't post Part II, vicky.

(We didn't have Mature Content back then...)

Maybe now that I am on so much couch duty, I'll pick up a pen and notebook (gasp) and try to write it again.

(another that was lost in the crash.)

Hugs you. You been digging up some bones, lately.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Shadow's Play (Part I)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary