navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Dark Night
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dark Night Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Silkdragon
since 2000-06-24
Posts 65

0 posted 2000-06-24 10:44 PM

It was a soft, velvet night.  The air was heavy with the promise of something nameless.  Sultry breezes caressed the woman's skin as she made her way down the winding path from her little cottage, her eyes on the distant brilliance of the stars, set against the silken, blue-black backdrop of the sky.  Her hand came up to swipe stray strands of coppery hair back from her face as her feet carried her to the end of the little lane, the gentle play of the winds sending the trees whispering.  When she reached the gate she paused, her toes sinking into the fertile earth supporting her weight.  A wistful sigh eased itself from her lips as she searched the heavens, looking for an answer that was not there.  It was never there.  But she continued to ask.
Why did you leave me?
Somehow, the tranquil beauty of the night made her loss that much more painful.  It was a night of passion, a night of dreams.  It was a night meant for lovers.  Stinging tears built in her eyes, turned liquid silver by the gentle light of the full moon.  They trailed down her cheeks in gossamer strands, following the curve of her face to bring her the salt taste of loneliness.
God, why?  What did I do, that you would leave me like this?
But she had known, always known, that he could not be tied down.  His freedom was his glory, he would not give it up.  But she had thought... she had been sure that he'd loved her.  Sweet God, she had loved him, so much it had made her weep at the sheer power of the feeling.  Yet he'd never said it.  Young and naive as she was, she'd thought that, surely, he would not touch her that way, talk to her that way, if he did not love her.  She'd been assured of his devotion, knowing that she would finally be the one to hold him to herself.
And then he had left.  So sudden it had left her reeling, and her world had shattered like a plane of glass, fragmenting into so many broken shards.  More than three years ago now.
And, she cursed herself, wiping angrily at her tears, she was still in love with him.  So hopelessly in love with him.  She despised herself for it, wishing she had the strength to move on, to leave him in the past, but she could not.  God, she wanted him....
A shuddering sob wrenched itself from her throat.  How could she live like this forever, always waiting for someone who was gone?
Fireflies danced around her as the wind rustled her skirts, and the sounds of the night slid through the air.  She took a trembling breath, her gaze following one of the little points of light floating aimlessly across the grass.  Why had she come out tonight?  Something...  Something pressed her, a strange anxiety in her spirit.  The night felt like... anticipation...  A startled hope rose in her breast, fluttering brightly within her.  Oh, God, maybe....  Then she gritted her teeth, bitterness flooding her soul.  Stop chasing dreams, Tiria...
She turned to go, but then, a strange urgency made her pause, lifting her head to gaze down the path beyond the gate, bridged by the interlacing branches of trees on either side.  As her eyes flew down the lane, her entire body stiffened, a cold shock shuddering through her.  A figure was slowly making its way toward her, but it was too dark to make out the features.  Don't be a fool.  It's a man... Just a man...  But, dear God, she thought, beginning to tremble.  The way he moved...  Loose-limbed and graceful, his stride firm and sure...
No, she thought, no, please, don't do this to me...
She could not look away as he approached her, and then, when he was only a short distance away, a ray of moonlight pierced the veil of leaves above to fall in radient brightness on his face.
A strangled sound slipped from her throat, and she closed her eyes.  No...  No...  It's impossible...  A dream...
When she opened them again, he was beside her, separated only by the old, rickety fence.  She stared, her mouth hanging open in shocked disbelief, her gaze sweeping his features.  A sharp, clean face framed by midnight-black hair, dark and quiet.  Angular jaw, finely arched eyebrows, straight, sculpted nose, firm, sensual lips.  And the eyes.  Deep forest splashed with brilliant emerald, filled with the fire of life and the joy of living.
"Oh, God," she gasped, covering her face with her hands.  "Oh my God."
There was a quiet, endless moment, and then his voice soft and melodic, striking her clean to the soul.  "Tiria."
She dropped her hands to cover her lips, gazing at him with eyes that were luminescent with new tears.  She shook her head mutely, unable to believe what was happening.  It was the strange twistings of a fantasy brought to life.
"Tiria," his voice roughened, became strained.  "Jesus, help me.  Please, I-I-"
"My God," she said again, her voice too high, "Where...?  What have-  How...?"  She could not frame a logical question; there were too many that were desperate to be voiced.
His fingers brushed her wrist, wrapped around the fine bones and drew her hand down, away from her mouth.  "Can I...  Can I come in...?"
She shivered at his touch, pulling free of it.  "Y-Yes," she mumbled, unlatching the gate as she tried to gather her scattered thoughts.  She stumbled backward as he entered, shaking her head as she closed her eyes.  Dreaming, she was dreaming.
"Darien..."  Her voice was thready, timid, as though she could barely coax it to produce any sound.  She frowned, forcing herself to think logically.  "What do you want?"
He slipped into through the gate, latching it behind him, before turning to her, his green eyes searching her face.  "Tiria...  I...  I am so sorry..."
He looked away for a moment, his eyes on the stars as the wind teased his long, dark hair, the strands barely brushing his shoulders.  "I need to tell you that I'm sorry I hurt you..."  His voice was a whisper.  "I was a coward..."
She felt her heart begin to pound in her throat, fluttering against her chest like a captive bird.  "What...  Darien, why...?"
His body was strangely tense, his knuckles whitening as his hands curled into fists, and she remembered how hard it was for him to share his feelings, share what was inside him.  He was so afraid to let anyone truely see him.
He met her gaze again.  "I always cared about you," he said, his words a mere breath of sound.  "Always.  And that's why I left.  I never meant to care about you, not like I did...  I'd never cared about anyone that way.  I'd never...loved...someone.  I...  I didn't want to need you...  I wanted to prove that I didn't, because it frightened me to need...  And I couldn't face what I feared.  So I left you...."
Tiria swallowed, trembling hope building within her.
"But I couldn't...couldn't forget you.  I tried...  I tried, but I couldn't...  Everywhere I went I thought of you, everything reminded me of you.  I knew I was a coward and I despised myself for it.  I needed you....  And so I...came back...  Because... I love you.  And..."  He bowed his head, his straight, silken hair falling to sheild his face.  "And I need you to forgive me.  Please...  Please forgive me, Tiria.  Please...  It's hard for me...to ask you this..."
Tiria closed her eyes, tears leaking down her cheeks as her entire being cried out in exaultation.  He was back, and he loved her...  For real this time.  Her dark night was over, just as soon as she forgave him.
And it was then that the poison crept into her heart.  The bright joy was suddenly dampened, just a little, as something darker was added.  Her eyes narrowed as she looked at him.  He had made her suffer for so long, waiting for him.  Waiting forever.  And now he came back, and expected her to forgive him with such ease?  In her heart, she had already forgiven him entirely, but another part of her, selfish and petty, demanded that he be given just a taste of what he had done to her.  Why not make him feel the desperate pain, the uncertainty?
"Where are you staying, Darien?"
His eyes flickered to her face, confusion in their brilliant depths.  "At the inn."
"I see," she nodded, forcing herself to keep cool, to pretend that his closeness did not effect her.  "Go back.  I have nothing to say to you.  You waited much too long for that."
She waited for the feeling of satisfaction to fill her as the look of stunned disbelief crossed Darien's face.  It did not come.  Instead an empty bitterness, and she wished she could take the words back.  But she bit down on her apology, on her forgiveness, still determined to carry out her vengeance.
And then Darien's face changed.  The lancing pain became something else, as his eyes glittered brightly.  Without a word, he turned and walked out the gate, his stride carrying him away from her.  Again.  He did not look back.
She almost called after him, but then stiffled the cry.  He would be at the inn.  She could find him soon.  She would only give him a while to feel what he had made her feel.
Darien disappeared from sight, the shadows of the night enveloping him in their welcoming blackness.  The wind suddenly turned chill and she shivered, wondering what had happened.  The romance had gone out of the night; the promise had vanished, as though there had been an opening for just a fleeting, priceless moment...  But no, she thought, that was ridiculous.  She would find him... Find him in the morning, and welcome him back to her arms.
Slowly, she went back to her cottage, but her unease did not lessen, and her mind was drawn back to the expression on Darien's face just before he had left.  She had seen it before...  Bitter anger, and stubborn, unyeilding pride.  His pride...
And a sudden, deep fear lanced her heart.  He was so proud...  God, dear God, what had she done?  But no, surely he would not...
Tiria left the house, running barefoot down the path that led to the town.  She must get to the inn, must let him know that she forgave him, that it was a mistake, that she had not meant it.  She ran, her eyes wild with panic, a dark, heavy forboding filling her.  Please... Please, God, she prayed.
When she came to the inn, she slammed through the door, staggering into the entryway.  The elderly man behind the desk looked up sharply, his eyes startled.
"Derrik!" She cried, "What room is Darien in?!"
Derrik frowned.  "Darien...?"
"Yes!  He's tall, long black hair, green eyes?"
"Oh, yes," the old man said.  "He arrived here earlier tonight.  But you just missed him.  He came back a little while ago, looked pretty upset.  He went straight up to his room, got his things, and checked out.  Got on that big, black horse of his and took off like the devil was after him."
Tiria stumbled back against the wall, her hand going to her throat.  Horrified tears filled her eyes.  "No....  Oh, God, please..."
She staggered outside, ignoring Derrik's concerned voice, and fell to her knees, clawing at the dirt.  She had ruined...ruined everything.  Gasping sobs wrenched themselves from her throat as what she had done truly sank in.
She had found her love, only to lose him again.  Her vengeance had exacted a cruel and terrible price.  He had come back to her once, against all odds, bending his pride, humbling himself.  He would not come back again.
A cold rain began to fall as Tiria remained on her knees, her long copper tresses trailing across the ground as she rocked with the agony sweeping her soul.  The bitter irony left a sickened taste in her mouth, and she screamed her pain to the weeping sky.  Her dark night had just begun.

[This message has been edited by Silkdragon (edited 06-24-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Erin - All Rights Reserved
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
1 posted 2000-06-24 11:02 PM

A powerful story my friend!  A good moral with some very strong imagery.  Welcome to Passions, it's about time you joined!  

*Krista Knutson*

"Cherish your vision; Cherish your ideals; Cherish the music that stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind, the loveliness that drapes your purest thoughts. If you remain true to them, your world will at last be built." ~James Allen~

"We've made houses for hatred...it's time we made a place where people's souls may be seen and made safe"...~Jewel~

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2000-06-24 11:09 PM

Wonderful story..welcome to Passions!!  
Michele Antoinette
since 2000-06-24
Posts 5

3 posted 2000-06-25 02:06 AM

Gripping story and great tension build-up to the conclusion.
Forgiveness is the key to happiness, but it's so hard!  you have a good understanding of human nature.
Looking forward to more of your work.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2000-06-25 08:14 AM

Excellent writing Silk...I recently had a person that left me for one year and 3 months decide she was going to just walk right back into my life...the process you go thru in the period of time they are gone sometimes determines your willingness to take them back.   First you miss them a lot and want them back more than anything in this world,  then you find that you can live without them and you decide you don't want them to hurt you anymore...finally you have detached yourself and they become an unwelcome visiter.  I mean what are you suposed to do..cut yourself off from contact with new romantic interest and just sit at home waiting for them to decide they have played around enough...I don't think so.  Anyway your feelings change as the months and the years go by.  You give them their freedom and you gain yours.   James
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
5 posted 2000-06-30 05:06 PM

And what an entrance!

Very few command such a presence upon their debut performance for our family. Welcome and please do stay!

Chris

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
6 posted 2003-03-16 11:11 PM

A *bump* for a deceased friend.  Erin, wherever you may be, know that I still love your art and written word.  Rest In Peace, Erin, Andrea, and Rob.  

*Krista Knutson*

"If we have no peace, it is because we've forgotten that we belong to each other." ~Mother Teresa

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2003-03-21 03:58 PM

OMG, I enjoyed this read so much, and then....Alwye, your reply brought a choking sigh.  
RIP, to a wonderful writer, and her friends.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
8 posted 2003-03-21 10:47 PM

Silk - amazing write here - irony at its best - and this:

turned liquid silver by the gentle light of the full moon.  They trailed down her cheeks in gossamer strands, following the curve of her face to bring her the salt taste of loneliness

is amazing - Dear soul - you truly had a gift = peace to you xxoo

[This message has been edited by littlewing (03-21-2003 10:48 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Dark Night

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary