navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Comfort of Tea"...first post and challenge, concurrently
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Comfort of Tea"...first post and challenge, concurrently Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

0 posted 2000-05-17 11:54 PM

"The Comfort of Tea"  

There was a shabbiness about the man that made me comfortable. In my comfort, I noticed things.

It was not that he was unkempt. No, far from that. In fact, his eyes were the cleanest, brightest green that I could recall ever seeing on a human face. His hair, likely combed earlier in the day, now rested, rather scrambled, in small, soft folds upon his head. It was nearly golden, the colour of molten sorghum dripping, hot, down the long cooking trays of my father's mill.

I was still noticing his molasses hair when I realized that his eyes were searching my face, his hand extended in greeting.

"Claire?" he asked, more by way of saying hello than identifying me.

"Yes, hello Michael. We spoke on the phone, didn't we?" Of course, I knew that he knew that we had spoken, just that morning in fact, but what was one to say?

"Come in. Please, just ~ here, let me take those from you." And I was in his house, following him through the coolness into the large dining room. He walked slowly, talking, one arm cradling the maps that I had brought. A radio played somewhere, and I noticed the jingling sound of jazz tinkering through the open kitchen doorway. Piano in the early afternoon. This was a man I could get to like, I remember thinking.

"I've just put a kettle on, if you'd like, " he was saying. Funny how his voice sounded softer now, like Keith Jarrett's improv from the kitchen. Musical, light, English.

"Oh. Tea. I really can't." I noticed the immediate crook in his brow, just a moment's sleight, then gone.

"I've got an appointment. Another appointment, actually." I knew I was expected at a meeting shortly, though the exact details were not ready in my mind.

I  noticed his hands, fingers still spread lightly on the tabletop. I wondered whether his hands were responsible for the large clay pots that stood near the wall by the hearth.

"Well, perhaps another time," he said, gesturing with those hands back toward the front of the grand old house, "when you are available to come help me translate all this into some sort of English that we both can understand."

He paused, and with the slightest of bows, issued me back out onto the large stone porch. As we parted company in the afternoon sun and I walked down the steps to the street where my car was parked, I remember thinking that yes, there would be the comfort of tea with this man, perhaps soon.

© Copyright 2000 Meadowmuse - All Rights Reserved
netswan
since 2000-03-28
Posts 1369
Washington
1 posted 2000-05-18 12:09 PM

Claire is this the end or will there
be more -----  It is interesting, yet
I felt there was going to be more.

netswan

Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

2 posted 2000-05-18 12:19 PM

This was my first meeting with my late husband. I will try to write more...this was my first attempt. I wasn't sure what I was going to write until just a little while ago when I started. Thank you for reading it, by the way.

~ Claire

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?......Henry David Thoreau

netswan
since 2000-03-28
Posts 1369
Washington
3 posted 2000-05-18 12:34 PM

Wonderful Claire. I will look forward
to your next writings on this. I felt
that you were going to tell more --)

I love to read --)
Thanks for reading my story --) Glad you
enjoyed it.

netswan

WolfsMate
since 2000-01-14
Posts 121
New York
4 posted 2000-05-18 12:38 PM

A good beginning you have here. I too will be awaiting the rest of the story.

"You never have to worry...Never fear for I am near"

Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

5 posted 2000-05-18 12:57 PM

Thank you, Wolfsmate. I think, however, that I may have posted it prematurely. I don't know whether it would actually be considered a prose piece. I'm thinking I should delete and perhaps try again when I have more written.
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
6 posted 2000-05-18 02:12 AM

It's up to you Claire, of course, but I definitely want to read more from you. You've got that "voice" that I love hearing. Please, pray thee continue m'lady.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2000-05-18 03:18 AM

Oh Claire---do write more...this simply READ TO ME...smooth and lovely writing.
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

8 posted 2000-05-18 02:03 PM

Claire,
dont delete this treasure..just add to it.
you write prose with the same grace, detail and imagery you do your poetry...not that there was any doubt*smile*
dont make us beg  
more please.
jm

Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
9 posted 2000-05-18 05:30 PM

That was a great beginning to your story, and Please don't deleat it!  It was great!  

"Even a fool knows you can't touch the stars, but it doesn't stop a wise man from trying."
Harry Anderson, "Night Court"

*Cassandra Roseen*

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
10 posted 2000-05-18 09:56 PM

Claire:

I really enjoyed reading this.  The dialogue and narration flowed effortlessly for me and you caught me up in the story.  Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

11 posted 2000-05-18 11:21 PM

Thank you, everyone, for such encouragement. In retrospect, I suppose I should have waited to post this after I had more content, but in my mind and memory, this scene was complete. I will see what I can do about writing more, but cannot do it tonight. Will post when I write it though. Thank you, in earnest, for reading and your gracious responses.

~ Claire

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?......Henry David Thoreau

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
12 posted 2008-02-16 08:46 PM

Enjoyed reading this...James
Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
13 posted 2008-03-12 04:51 PM

Claire, I hope you come back to continue this story. The beginning of it held me. Better yet, work it up into a novel.

Regards...

write with grace, all others lose face;
"Jo was very tall, thin, ... and reminded one of a colt..." LMA

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
14 posted 2008-03-15 10:31 AM

Claire,

You have given incredible character development without unneeded sentences.  Every description of the setting gave me an essence of his being.  Quality and desirability are not dependent upon quantity.  For example, I consider the impact the short book, The Giving Tree, has had on small decisions I've made in life.  No, size doesn't matter...  You have quality writing here...

A pleasure to read,
miscellanea

Larrysmom
since 2008-04-03
Posts 533
Florida, USA
15 posted 2008-04-03 11:43 PM

Wow! I would love to read the rest of the story... Very vivid.

Tammy<333

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
16 posted 2009-06-24 02:51 PM

Yo dear Claire,

This is excellent work.  Keep up the great writing.

Love Bobby

HAZARD
since 2009-06-24
Posts 40
ENGLAND
17 posted 2009-07-05 08:09 AM

I'd like to read more - the scene was set beautifully.
Relaxed pace and a lullaby feel to the prose.

A gentle insight into how friendship begins and how passions are slightly aroused by  sounds, sights, feelings, colours, textures... Also some very moorish descriptions - Molasses always reminds me of Macaster oil and slicked 30's hair styles... ENCORE!

HAZARD

rad802
since 2008-04-19
Posts 279
KY U.S.A.
18 posted 2009-07-31 07:51 AM

Wow
You really hav a way with words.
Very nice.

A worthy legacy is the irrevocable consequence of dreaming.
Rick A. Delmonico

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Comfort of Tea"...first post and challenge, concurrently

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary