navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » In the Wizard's Eye
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic In the Wizard's Eye Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever

0 posted 2000-03-12 11:32 PM

There was once, long ago, a great kingdom of happiness and joy, dotted with flowers at every window in every single color of the rainbow. This town was overlooked by a beautiful and protecting mountain chain. Invaders were scarce, and the proud honor guard of this kingdom drank to their merry health. In the center of this kingdom, there lied a great well, a well so great that it provided the kingdom's ten thousand citizens each with clean and ample spring water to drink for the rest of thier lives. Even the wise king himself drank from here every now and then, when outside of his very large castle. One dark night, after all of the merry citizens were tucked in snugly in thier comfortable beds, an evil wizard crept trough the kingdom's gates, past the drunken, complacent honor guards. The moon shined full as he made his way to the center of the kingdom, the bright colors and houses now merely shadows. He finally reached the great well, and produced a small, but potent, vial from his black cloak.
"I will poison this water so everyone in this happy kingdom will go insane, and chaos will reign!" he said out loud to himself, with a sinister grin.
The sun rose the next morning, as it always did, and people began filling thier buckets, as they always did, from the well, to cook thier breakfasts. By early afternoon, all ten thousand citizens(besides the king)had a drink from the great well at one time or another. Soon, word spread quickly that the king had gone mad! The people were gravely concerned with thier king, and wondered if he was doing alright. Unable to effectivly rule his country when they all thought he was crazy, he began to feel isolated and soon wondered if, indeed, he was actually insane. Hours later, the crestfallen king sat down at the edge of the great well and, exhausted from this terrible day, took a good long drink from the well. Soon after, the king finally became normal again, and happiness was restored once again and forever.

© Copyright 2000 Joseph Alexander Knob - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-03-13 08:12 PM

So what you're saying is 'insanity is in the eye of the beholder'? I liked this, but wasn't sure where you were going with it...
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
2 posted 2000-03-13 11:23 PM

I also liked this one.  Society/the masses can have a huge impact on how we view ourselves.  LOL, maybe we're all crazy as loons and we don't even know it..

Abrahm Simons

Put one foot on the path of life and tread the dagger's path betwixt dark and light.

EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever
3 posted 2000-03-18 01:58 PM

Precise interpretation. Thanks!
Brenda Winniford
since 2000-02-19
Posts 31

4 posted 2000-03-18 09:12 PM

Eagle scorpion,

That is a nice peice of work. Keep going!

Brenda W.

Mellon Collie
since 2000-03-25
Posts 49
united states of america
5 posted 2000-03-26 02:38 PM

dear eaglescorpion,
     i like this one a lot   i've always loved profound social themes and ideas the likes of which you seem to have here.  i do have one suggestion though.  you might consider framing it as a fairy tale or with a more story-like beginning.  many fairy tales have morals to them and that would alert the reader to be looking for consistancy and lessons in the reading.  i began thinking it was just a short fictional story without any real significance.  just an idea  

sincerely,
the beautiful freak

EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever
6 posted 2001-01-08 12:30 PM

Mellon Collie, I actually wrote a much larger version of this story in summer school two years ago. too bad I lost it! (I'm so stupid!) So I remember I just made a short, moderately descriptive version of the story as well as I could.
Kahlil Gibran significantly inspired me to write this little prose piece. He wrote a similar story himself. I just made it a little more spiked with castle and hero- knight- peasant- middle age kinda stuff.
I highly recommend the  book, "Love Letters" by Kahlil Gibran.
Thanks for the posts, everyone, and God bless!

LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS WAR, LOVE IS WHAT YOUR LIFE IS FOR.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

7 posted 2001-01-08 01:15 PM

This one was awesome!  Funny too.  Good work!
EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever
8 posted 2001-11-07 10:46 AM

just bumpin' this one back to the top.. i was hoping some of you could tell me how i could make a longer, better story out of this, becuase I feel the moral of this story is very strong. I invite any thoughts and reflections you may have abou this story contrasted with modern American life, and life around the world, really..

Love is God. Love is war. Love is what your life is for.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » In the Wizard's Eye

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary