navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Desperately Clinging to Trees and Poles
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Desperately Clinging to Trees and Poles Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2019-04-07 06:58 PM

Thank you South African heroes brought home, your fatigue endangering you and the victims of the vicious cyclone and floods.  You are being replaced by another South African team and soon South African Gift of the Givers, all of you knowing that you can’t save everybody but not letting that stop you trying.  

And you, precious souls, desperately clinging to trees and poles for days, children who cannot any more, gasping for breath as you drown, dying in the awakening of your fragile little lives?

And I, comfortable in my warm, dry, upright house am complaining of thirty-two hours of load-shedding a week.  

Mozambique and Zimbabwe, forgive my arrogance and selfishness - no don’t – your priority is to save as many trapped, terrified, tired, traumatised people as you can and to feed and clothe and house those desperately clinging to their last possessions.

God, please wrap all of Mozambique and Zimbabwe in the warm, dry blanket of Your love and let the waters subside and give all those people hope, fortitude and smiles, food, clothing, housing and medical care and may both countries become a hub of international helpers to rescue those not yet saved, to warm the hearts and strengthen the resolve of those who lost loved ones and possessions, to rise out of the horror and find life again after the helpers have gone.

And we think we know what disaster is?

© Copyright 2019 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Clare Ite
Posts 66
Where The Pallet Pins Play
1 posted 2019-05-20 02:13 AM

I love the sentiments in your writing OwlSA. I often listen to old recordings of Miriam Makeba and appreciate the passionate, heartfelt love she too had for her homeland.

I always have time for you...

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2019-05-20 02:55 AM

Thank you kindly, Clare Ite.  The horror of this disaster was heart-wrenching, but for most of us, it is over.  Not so for the Mozambiquans, the Malawians and the Zimbabweans.  Thousands of them are still sitting with the aftermath of loss, deprivation and horror memories . . . As much as my tears are flowing again at the thought . . . the reality is that I wasn't thinking of this today, until I received email notification of your reply.  

Yes, Miriam Makeba and The Click Song, Patta Patta, and so many more songs . . . what a singer she was.  I see that you spoke of her in the past tense, so I am not shocking you by telling you that she is no longer with us on Earth.  As you possibly know, she succumbed to a heart attack on stage - just as she would have wished to go, I am sure.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Desperately Clinging to Trees and Poles

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary