navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Words and a broken heart
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Words and a broken heart Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
HM3
since 1999-07-15
Posts 169
TX

0 posted 2016-12-29 01:00 AM

I read this morning there had been a loss of life. As I read the circumstances of a sleep deprived driver going the wrong way I became aware that there are occasions, especially relating to death when the English language seems to be severely lacking.

There is no "right" age or circumstance that makes the death of a loved one or even a pet more tolerable. The heartache and heartbreak of death is experienced differently every second of the rest of your life. Personally I do not believe that time heals. I don't say this as a negative! A broken heart will forever be a broken heart. Once shattered it can learn to adapt to it's brokenness but it remains broken. I believe it is our broken hearts that connect us and often strengthens the bond to others that will or have felt the waves of grief.

What words could possibly be spoken that would comfort another? What words can truly express the feelings of those touched by loss and if I am the one grieving, what words can lift the veil? How do we communicate death to a child or someone child like? How do we respond to a grieving heart that can distract enough to allow just a moment of relief? We have words that can cut us to the bone but what words bring comfort? I think it isn't so much the pain and heartache but more the anguish that leaves us broken without words.

It is my experience that the sadness of death is like a tsunami that floods the heart with grief. Friends and family are swept in as the words are spoken announcing the loss and collectively but uniquely we rage against the force of the waters. Waters that have (this time) spared us and taken a loved one. As the waves continue to crash on the shore we stop thrashing as often and allow our broken hearts to ride the waves that are rhythmically lifting us to the next sunrise.

Work like money doesn't matter, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching...

© Copyright 2016 Mark Ozee - All Rights Reserved
Bluesy Socrateaser
Member Elite
since 2002-11-07
Posts 2417
In The Mirror
1 posted 2016-12-31 02:53 PM

With respects to your well-expressed feeling regarding your comment that you don't believe "time heals", for me, I would disagree, but only somewhat. I feel time is what is required to adapt to personal tragedies. The "tsunami" effect as used, is a good analogy, but even tsunamis dissipate and the loss of life, in time, eventually absorbed into lives of those who mourned them. There was an old song from the sixties that spoke well of healing. A line from the chorus went like this, "only love can break a heart, only love can mend it again. Ever the optimist, I tend to go with this flow.

...just bein' Bluesy

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2016-12-31 06:44 PM

I can feel my losses as if they were yesterdays'. I also feel that my life and those around me have been forever changed and all one can do is adapt and try to live the best one can, one day at a time. (A very thoughtful read). M

"Love is not blind - It sees more and not less, but because it sees more, it is willing to see less."
(Will Moss)

sensationalpleasure69
since 2018-02-05
Posts 3

3 posted 2018-02-05 05:31 PM

sensitive, descriptive and very thought provoking, thank you
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
4 posted 2018-03-25 11:05 PM

Pretty much agree with one of my very favorite people - nakdthoughts - and I think it’s sort of like the adage “Why them instead of me”.

I don’t question it. I accept the loss. Feel the pain. And keep it forever as a part of me.
And stay ever thankful of my blessings.  I’m here to remember them – and they will ever be a part of my life.

j.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Words and a broken heart

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary