navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Mom of Mine
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Mom of Mine Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!

0 posted 2013-03-11 02:11 AM

As I sat at my Mother's bedside and held her hand today, I realized that I didn't know temples could sink into the skull.  They can.  I studied my Mother and thought that she has never looked more beautiful.  She does not agree.  She has not seen herself in a mirror for months, but she has seen her image in my camera.  

She is my Mother and allows me to take pictures when I know she not comfortable with the thought.  She smiles for me, and there is a twinkle in her eyes.  We look at the picturs together and I delete the ones that she detests.  She allows me to save a few, knowning how important they are to me.  She is my Mother - and that is what she does for me.  

I am the child left behind, the "you are it" child.  I am the one who has been at my Mother's side for the last few years.  We shopped together on Saturdays.  I took her to her appointments.  We went for drives to obscure hamburger joints and Thai food restaraunts that were a hundred miles round trip in the middle of nowhere ... because that is what we liked to do.  Sometimes, we would laugh together.  Sometimes, we would fight.  Sometimes, we were silent.  Yet, we were (and are) always together.

Once, I felt the pressure of being that child left behind. I would feel overwhelmed trying to juggle life, work and my Mom.  Now, I realize that I was the lucky one.  I won the lottery by being that child who was allowed the gift of being with my Mom.  She has taught me a lot - and a lot about myself.  I have seen what I need to change and work on.  Those are my faults.  But, I have also seen myself through her eyes - the reflection of her love, pride and happiness.

One day soon, my Mom will move forward to another place.  She will be done with this one .. and like the conch shell that I broght her a few years ago, she will only be a beatiful vessel left behind.  A shell that is no longer needed.

But, in the meantime, I am receving the greatest gift of all.  I am spending time with this woman who gave me life.  She has taught me how to live.  She has taught me how to love.  She has taught much of what I know today and most of the things that make me "me".

Now she teaches me how to die.  She has courage like few I have ever met.  She has strength to still be my Mom as she asks me about my day, my life, and if I am still writing poetry.  There is no greater gift that my Mom could give me than this gift she gives me now.

I love her with all my heart.

© Copyright 2013 Alison - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2013-03-11 07:39 AM

Yes, you are the lucky one~~

(and your mom, to have you)

M

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
2 posted 2013-03-11 08:00 AM

Your poignant words of gratitude touch my heart deeply, dear Alison. I do think too that it is a special grace to have this "winter-time of good-byes" together. It is indeed a reciprocal gift. The depth of your bond comes through so strongly in your words. You both care for each other, in different ways, but both ways are the ways of love.

(((((((Alison)))))))
Love and hugs.
Margherita

"Love is the One who masters all things;
I am mastered totally by Love."
(Rumi)

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2013-03-11 10:53 AM

I know you truly realize just what a gift you are being given, Alison, and my prayers are with you and your mother.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2013-03-12 10:35 PM

Enjoyed reading this...isn't love great...James
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
5 posted 2013-09-21 03:59 PM

Alison, I only saw this today, a while after your Mom passed into a better world.  My sobs are for you in your loss, but also in the security of the fact that she is always with you, and for myself, in envy.

Owl

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
6 posted 2014-07-12 03:57 PM

Dear Mom

I miss you.

Love,
Liz

Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
7 posted 2015-03-19 11:03 PM

Thank you to all who read this - and all who reached out to me.  I continue to miss my Mom.  She was one hell of a woman.

A

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
8 posted 2015-07-05 09:03 PM

Tears for you and your Mom.
                      Love, Ida

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Mom of Mine

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary