navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Just rambling by
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Just rambling by Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2013-01-18 08:46 AM

It was just the other day and I was at an old Friend’s house.  To clarify both the friends and the house are old and may they all continue to age and prosper.  I had been invited by Frank and Ida ( which is not their names, but suits them better in my mind) because I hadn’t seen them since before the holidays.  Whereas this isn’t a particularly pressing reason for me, it is for Ida, and besides they had a nice bottle of wine which they wanted to share with me over dinner.  I am somewhat known for my tasting of wine and with the added bonus of Ida’s  cooking thought it a worthwhile venture away from my urban cave.  So setting the cat to stun ( being a weeknight I didn’t feel they needed the full kill mode) drove to the shores of the Chesapeake Bay.   Their house is a rather large house on a medium sized lot, but not on the water.  Frank was out front raking leaves out of the bushes, but took the excuse of my arrival to stop and welcome me.  After shaking hands we went inside where I was mauled by Ida’s hug and sniffed by the dog.  Two daughters shouted a stereo hello from the kitchen and I was told I had to stay out of the kitchen and she wasn’t going to have me fixing her cooking.  Frank went back outside to put away his rake, laughing and muttering too soft to hear.  In a timely fashion one of the daughters brought me a glass of very nice wine.  A very pleasant blend of Chardonnay and Riesling that had a oaky sweetness and a nibble instead of a bite.  Having gone out the front Frank returned through the back and was able to get himself a drink before rejoining me.  Frank didn’t drink wine but instead got himself a good shot of some golden liquid over ice.

During dinner, fish and rice, one of the three daughters that were there ( the forth all married and moved away)  asked me about how I thought the country was going.  Frank gave her a stern look, but Ida began to berate her for bringing up the topic of politics.  This had always been a rule at the table when I was there because of my radical views.  Frank’s radical views and mine clashed with Ida’s calm and reasoned views, so in fairness to everyone we reframed at the table from such discussions.  The questioning daughter was presently attending a local establishment of higher learning, but to finish to enter the job market.  I didn’t think the question was actually political, more a general evaluation from a perspective she didn’t usually have available.  So as I pondered and Ida berated, Frank went into the kitchen for another cup of coffee, having switching beverages at dinner.  So with a full cup of coffee and another refill of wine we retreated back to the living room to allow the females to bicker and clean.  We only got bits and pieces of it drifting from the kitchen loud enough to hear, but it seemed that Ida was going to have her way even though all of them agreed that the question was not the problem.  So as the table was reset for cobbler, the living room began to fill up with daughters.  The fact was further punctuated by the arrival of the eldest daughter just stopping by to say hello.  Conversation over the blueberry and cherry cobbler was mostly about her married life and the trials and tribulations that can be attributed to that institution.  Which with the recent changed in laws has modified the accepted definition.  Now this was about to propel us into another politically charged area so Frank and I went back to the living room once more.
Luckily I never did have to talk about those subjects of where the country is going and how the old beliefs are changing.  I believe everyone enjoyed the evening, I know I did, but should those topics be discussed?  I doubt that the media will and you know our rulers don’t want to upset their digestion.

Gloom

© Copyright 2013 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2013-01-18 10:25 AM

Enjoyed the scene set...and as I did just so only a few nights ago, set a table where not only food was digested, but some good, wholesome viewpoints over the course of the country.

It was all good!

Including this read.

Bluesy Socrateaser
Member Elite
since 2002-11-07
Posts 2417
In The Mirror
2 posted 2018-04-04 03:38 PM

"...you know our rulers don’t want to upset their digestion."

Unusually cheerful, Professor.

...just bein' Bluesy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Just rambling by

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary