navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Slippage of the Mind
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Slippage of the Mind Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2012-12-25 05:19 PM

Slippage of the Mind

The look in his eyes tells me I'm doing it again.  Not forgetting... just muddling facts.  Trying to convey some rare and priceless to me detail or story I've kept tucked away for years; ready to pull out, appearing from thin air, for the innocent bystander in feeble attempt to impress, or more than likely, just hoping to fit in.

But that look.  That look tells me I've got it wrong.  This man, who for so long has used wit as a weapon, and more recently fact as a crutch, now can't even do that.  I've got the story right, but my mind, while reaching through the dark recesses of stored information can't seem to pull out the correct pieces at the correct times.  Who turned out the lights?  

My son used to correct me, and I would be embarrassed by this.  Now, he just watches me with that compassionate look in his eyes that tells me I'm babbling again, realizing I've got the pieces wrong, yet not for the life of me being able to come out with the correct ones.  It's all drawn to a strange conclusion then... him not wanting to hurt me, and me stopping in my presentation of facts, which are obviously wrong, to act satisfied.  I'm not acting satisfied out of any sense of pride, but merely trying to act like "I think" I'm still the man my son used to be so proud of.   I guess I'm just too scared to face the fact that I'm not that man anymore, and really don't have any idea who I've become.

Funny, though really it's not... I remember staring at my mother the way son now stares at me, and for the very same reason.  I thought her mind broken then.  I'm not so sure now.  I don't feel broken, just as if something is hindering me – toying with me even, trying to keep me from reaching out and, in fact, preventing me from using speech with knowledge to elevate my own perception of worth to those I love.  A frightening prospect for someone who's never had anything else to offer.

Fate is a cruel teacher, and Irony just one of her sharp, wicked tools.  I used to joke about babbling.  "Babbling and foaming" to be precise.  I guess it's true we twist humor around the things we fear as we see them in others.  How else can I explain laughing at such a term, never once realizing what dire trauma, whether physical or psychological, might be causing it to begin with?

I so deserve this.  The price for the vanity of thinking I could, and did, know more than most people... so much more it seemed problematic to share after awhile.  The "knowing" silence I wrapped around myself now the quiet calm which is killing me.  What good are all those facts now, setting cross-linked in my brain?  What purpose can they serve?  I hear every tick of the clock and it resounds a thick, enveloping mist over a mind I falter my way through just trying to articulate one clear thought – to put words to this darkness that one, who spent so many years enamored by the dark, never could have prepared himself for.

Michael Anderson

12/25/2012

© Copyright 2012 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
1 posted 2013-03-01 07:35 AM

Fear not,
I have mind slippage all the time,
I blame old age, every time.
If you don't believe this is true all you have to do is read my ramblings.

Gloom

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
2 posted 2013-03-10 01:16 AM

I think I have looked at my Mom that way.  I have been a cartaker, car driver for her for the last five years.  I know I have done that.  Discounted her memories, wanted to roll my eyes, diminished her.  Now, well now, I see her strength and what an amazing woman she is.  She assures me that is what children do.  We are blind until we choose to see what is really in front of us.

Alison

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

3 posted 2013-08-08 07:42 PM

Michael - I know that slippage. Sometimes it's a slow oozing descent. Othertimes, it seems a 60 degree sloped headlong rush to a crash. The writing and penning of thoughts help a lot but we can't escape the creep of age, even with a smile. Let me say it before I forget it...I enjoyed reading your work very much. Namyh
Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
4 posted 2015-01-21 11:07 PM

As always, my old friend, a pleasure to read you.

When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes ha

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
5 posted 2015-02-12 08:33 PM

enjoyed...james
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Slippage of the Mind

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary