navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Technology is Great
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Technology is Great Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
crosscountry83
since 2009-07-30
Posts 345

0 posted 2012-07-30 04:04 PM

Once upon a time, I didn’t have a facebook.  Or an iPod.  Or a cell phone with unlimited texting.  If you can believe it, there are absolutely no emoticons I could find on the internet that could possibly describe how different my life is.  Like, I totally convinced my parents to get me a cell phone when I was in sixth grade.  I mean, seriously, all my friends got theirs in fifth grade.  Also, I was feeling left out, and, like, I already had a computer so there was no reason not to get a facebook, you know?  The iPod naturally came next because, like, the radio just wasn’t doing its job of cutting me off from the world anymore. I could still hear people talking no matter how loud the music was.  Dude, if the technology isn’t going to keep up then go buy something new, right?

Another thing, how in the World Wide Web am I supposed to know what my friends are doing without spiffy gadgets?  I just have to know if he is still going out with her, if so-and-so is going to prom with so-and-so, or if that one girl is going shopping at my favorite store (stay away from my size of this season's daisy dukes!)  One time, I totally didn’t even hear about a party until like three hours before it was happening and I barely had time to do my hair and find someone to go with!  Seriously, if someone tried to tell me breaking news like that before technology, the memo would’ve taken, like, three hundred years to reach me!  I would be long gone by then, I think, to a concert or something.

While facebook seems to be the new thing, occasionally I still like to regress to good old fashioned texting.  I mean, slaving over a computer, stalking other people’s profiles for hours takes its toll, and a girl just needs a break.  Even though a cell phone can’t usually store and send twenty-five megabytes of info like Gmail can, it’s still useful in other ways.  The teachers are still being really horrible when it comes to blocking facebook on school computers, but it’s not like they can block our phones.  We, like, need them for school and stuff.  What if, right when I get to class, the most popular person in school quizzes me about a certain piece of gossip and it’s all Greek to me?  We need to be prepared when we come to school, people; cell phones are not a bad thing.

So you might be thinking technology is okay, but maybe you’re not convinced.  Even if you don’t understand the benefits, it can’t do any harm, right, because it’s not like it can make us be more stupider or anything.  Every day we practice using a wide variety of three and four letter abbreviations, which totally helps with English.  It’s practically a substitute for writing essays!  In Chemistry, the funny compound symbols look just like when we use g2g or l8r and history has never been easier since we were able to save our own IM conversations.  Oh, and we so practice math when we use the lunch tip calculator. So really, if it doesn’t, lyke, affect our English or anything, why would anyone be against it?
The other day, my friends and I were talking and I told them “omg, g2g ttyl,” and this old guy, who must’ve been in his, like, thirties, gave us the weirdest look.  From his bewildered expression it was definitely clear that my generation has already surpassed his in intelligence.  Like, we have all heard the saying that an average of five out of four people are good at calculating fractions.  Well, I say that’s not good enough.  We need to bump the average up to six out of four in order to catch up with the other countries.  Facebook, iPods, cell phones, and the massive amount of other gadgets we hope they will release soon, will help us revolutionize improvement to education.

© Copyright 2012 Riley - All Rights Reserved
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
1 posted 2012-07-30 10:22 PM

Nice writing...you wouldn't be texting in the theatre would you...James
Ethern
since 2010-07-01
Posts 150
on a plane
2 posted 2012-11-08 11:12 AM

i <3 technology
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Technology is Great

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary