navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A spring day of youth
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic A spring day of youth Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Novus_Os
since 2010-07-21
Posts 115
West Coast, USA

0 posted 2010-08-05 08:34 AM

I circle around up the center court on my culdesac  street. The air is warm, the day new. Perhaps I'll go walk the creek bed later, it goes on forever, at least in the mind of a seven year old. It sits behind my backyard fence.The creek has it's own presence, always there, but hidden behind the fence boards. It sits like a tiger hidden behind blades of grass. I peer through the well kept fence boards, looking forward to unlocking the latch. Sometimes the creek bed is  more filled with water from the rains than others, and other times still almost empty.

I almost feel guilty saying so, but I might just like it better then. When it's empty, I can look for all the semiprecious stones, orange misshapen pebbles, translucent like glass. I feel them in my hand cool from the water that is left, or sort them through the rough mud mixed with silt. I cup them in my hand as if the wealth of Solomon is held there. So happy at my newest gift received freely.

Then again, having the creek full again will give me plenty of time to climb the banks, and if I fall in again, I have the excuse to go inside. There my mother can put my cloths in the dryer,give me a dry towel, kiss me, and comfort me. She'll probably also scold me just a little for my dirty jeans, tracking mud into the house, and tell me to be more careful. Yet off I dash outside again, up the the top of the street to the center court, to enjoy the warm spring day, so new,and so bright.  

(This could be a very short work, but is more like a concept I am working over, perhaps to use as a part in a larger work of fiction someday.All comments/critiques are welcome)

Life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured.

© Copyright 2010 Novus_Os - All Rights Reserved
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
1 posted 2010-08-08 07:49 PM

Nice...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A spring day of youth

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary