navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Word Play
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Word Play Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2010-06-14 11:49 PM

Word Play
Emotional Impact & Tough Decisions Exercise

Scenario:

You are a man in your mid-forties and a well-seasoned fighter. At the tower where you live with other fighters and their Aes Sedai [a witch, or magician], a young, sixteen year old girl has become attached to you. She spends all of her free time with you and you have become to her a surrogate father. People in the tower have been gossiping about your relationship with her, saying it is overly affectionate and scandalous. To make matters worse, the girl has just told you she is pregnant and rumors are spreading that you are the father of the unborn baby. You both now face great ridicule and some tough choices.

a. Write about the emotional impact this has on you and what decision(s) you might make concerning this issue.

(You have 15 minutes [set the egg timer] to write either in poem or prose form. This was my offering in 15 minutes time. [Keep in mind, I was writing in longhand!])

~*~

I am angry and irritated with the residents of the tower. How dare they liken me to a reprobate, just because of the time that I have spent caring for and nurturing Amie. Why, even SHE feels for me and thinks of me as if I were her father.

And I feel like a father to her, poor child, poor Amie. If her father had been around, maybe she would not be in this embarrassing predicament. How in the world is she, still a child herself, going to be able to care for a newborn?

I wonder if the Aes Sedai might help her, guide her. I don’t usually talk with Orlinda, but who knows? She might be able to predict Amie’s future – Hmmmm, better yet, she might be able to halt the entire process if it isn’t too late. I don’t know. Dammit!

Oh, I could thrash the boy who disarmed this sweet child – or wait! Maybe it wasn’t by mutual consent! I don’t know. Amie has not been clear about who the real father might be – even I can’t get her to open up. Why is she protecting him? Or is it because she is afraid of what I would do the hellion?

The damn talk around the tower. Only the men who truly know me know I couldn’t be the father. But dammit, those younger men – all they have in their shallow minds is filth and worse, no regard nor respect for their elders. I’m going to have to watch them closely. One of them has harmed Amie – and I blame myself for not paying better attention to the poor child.

If only Amie’s mother would return. Something must have gone wrong – she was scheduled back months ago. Still, no word. Maybe Orlinda would know something about Annabou’s return – or if she knows anything at all. Crap. How does one talk to an Aes Sedai? Like a friend? Or as if they might be clergy? I don’t know the rules – I’ve never messed with one before. Here I am, a man in his mid-forties, feeling totally alienated from the processes of girlish youth and aging witches.

I’ll have to see the elders about these rumors, though. I need to be rational and clear headed – and remind them of the injury I received early on in my life. I’m sure they have already recalled that – maybe not even giving this scandalous matter a second thought.

© Copyright 2010 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Fade
since 2006-03-06
Posts 38
on a (temporall) plane
1 posted 2010-06-19 12:09 PM

Disgusting: These barbarians and their opinions. Let them think what they want. There is no commandment is the sacred writings that forbids us marriage. I don't understand why our relationship is so taboo anyway. My half sister Rachel married Jacob when she was thirteen. Look how successful that family has become. My mother married my father at 15, and her mother married as young.

Isn't it obvious that i care for her? What other man has cared for her? She knows that I love her. I know that she loves me too. I think she will be faithful to me always.

Surely my God has blessed me with her company, and I am thankful for it. May He bless me with wisdom to always appreciate what a gift I have in her... and grace. O, Elohim, I need grace, and she needs grace, to suffer this trial that the gossips and fools would put us through. They don't understand... idiots.

Now we have a little one on the way. I hope it's true. A family of my own. I will be a daddy. I don't know how to be a daddy... all I know how to do is fight.

Ha Ha Ha! Yes. I can fight. And I will fight! I will be the most successful fighter in the land. I will make a name for myself, and for my family. My son will be a noble prince, or my daughter an expensive queen! Ha Ha.

Who cares what fools think. Bless God.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2010-07-03 08:26 AM

"Oswald, we gotta talk."

"Stop calling me Oswald, dammit". Harvey was straining beneath the weights, his back arcing in the strain.

"Harvey, we gotta talk."

"Take-the-damned-weights, then, Jack Ruby."

Jack grinned at the old joke, and commenced to lifting the weights off of his brother's chest.

"Well, you said you could handle it."

"And you said you'd spot me."

"Not the weights, dammit, the girl..."

Harvey sat up and wiped the sweat from his face with the coarse towel his brother handed him.

"I sent her on down to the basement, bro. Problem solved."

"The basement?"

"Yeah, Quan Lee, you know...he does more than laundry down there."

"Dude, do you mean--"

"Hey--you're the one who called it a problem." Harvey shrugged. "I just took care of my little brother like always."

He twisted the towel and started a snap but Jack grabbed the end--

"Y'mean, she got...rid of it?"

"I dunno know, man, last I heard, Quan got rid of her..It's handled."

"What do you mean, it's handled?"

"Didn't you ask me to handle it? I handled it. Put some more weight on the bar, will ya? I need to tone my back."

"Harvey?"

"WHAT?"

"Is she okay?"

"I heard they sent her away, but what do you care? Use some protection, bro. And give me some more damned weight."

Jack had sat down quite suddenly.

Harvey sighed.

"What's up now? We gonna get all emotional?"

"Dad might."

"What's the old man got to do with this?"

"She's his daughter."

"Whoa--whatcha sayin' bro? Mai was Dad's daughter?"

Jack was nodding.

"Mai? Was...is? Our sister?"

Jack was sweating and nodding.

"You knocked up our half-sister?"

"No, you, moron."

"Then who the hell...?"

Jack looked at Harvey somberly and said, "Don't ever call me a moron again."

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2010-07-03 09:21 AM

Hoooo-boy....I'm going to be taking these gems back to the writing group...and SHARE!

Kudos to the both of you for coming in and taking up this exercise!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Word Play

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary