navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » bowl of emptiness
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic bowl of emptiness Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

0 posted 2010-03-06 12:20 PM

Watching the cursor blink, waiting for words to rise from the bowl of emptiness. Breath in, breath out, slowly, slowly. Let go of forced constructions, distractions and other thoughtful things. Wait, wait for the mind to still and cross to the borderland where watercolor images wash away time, place and distance -- cherry blossoms

The gods put on their mercy coats that day and pulled from their pockets cherry blossoms that stilled the furious voices as petals drifted slowly over tortured shoulders. From sleeves of kindness they drew kites of chittering sparrows and flew them on softest sighs that changed the wind chime sound of the fountain into the ringing of her wedding bells. Lost for so long in a labyrinth where fearful shadows grow as tiny deaths in the wake of the watchman’s footsteps, the May light on sweet distant memories forced open the iron gate. She caught petals in the palm of her hand, held them out as a child holds a snowflake on a woolen mitten, smiled and said with a voice that hadn’t spoken for days, “The color of my wedding dress”.

Save file, close program, rinse out coffee mug, close the breakroom door -- remember and forget.

[This message has been edited by JenniferMaxwell (03-06-2010 12:51 AM).]

© Copyright 2010 JenniferMaxwell - All Rights Reserved
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
1 posted 2010-03-06 01:20 AM

It's good to read you again.

A

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

2 posted 2010-03-06 06:23 AM

Thanks so much for reading and your kind comments, Alison.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

3 posted 2010-04-03 11:58 PM

I'm starting to see a pattern in these little vignettes you've been posting .  I'm glad to see that you've taken prose and made it work almost like haiku, with its snappy descriptions and succinct presentations.  

I loved this:

Wait, wait for the mind to still and cross to the borderland where watercolor images wash away time, place and distance

This is an amazing way of presenting art.  You start up with a zen-like clearing of the mind and then you arrive at a message that tells the reader implicitly, "I'm going to paint you picture."

Your little vignette drew me in in a way that few pieces here do.  Your transition back from this marriage ceremony and onto the computer again was masterfully executed.

As you can probably tell, I'm adding this to my library.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » bowl of emptiness

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary