navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Lucid Dream
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Lucid Dream Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
gid
since 2009-11-25
Posts 5

0 posted 2009-11-25 07:49 AM

This piece was written the following day I had this dream. It has been sitting in my desktop folder and
I would just like to share it, as a catharsis for myself to how I am feeling and as a confidence to anyone who have ever felt the same way about someone else.

With a few minor tweaks to the original to make it more readable, I've stuck to the essence of the dream entirely. Like most dreams it ends frivolously, and the ending might seem a little silly to some.

Here goes.

A Lucid Dream

And she sat there in refusal of their obscene request, in the same posture as when I first saw her – both arms on the table, 1 propping up her chin while the other rested flat, her back arched slightly as she leaned her weight on the table edge, resting her head on her elbow - it was a posture which only served to enhance her sublime loveliness, and it struck an intense longing within my being for her, for this comely creature I have been infatuated with for so long. And she was using logic to deny them, for every word issued from her pretty mouth could only be right, so right.

I stood by, observing with shame the pathetic pleading of my friends, as she got up and exited. I followed her out the door into the courtyard, mumbling a feeble apology at her back. Without warning, she spun around, her short brown-tinted hair flicking at the sides of her head from the motion.

“I love you.”

Astounded, I stood there, stone still, unsure how to respond.
However, within my chest bubbled a tremendous, surging sensation. In that moment I knew pure joy, bliss. I knew what inspiration feels like. I wanted to leap and punch the air in ecstasy.

Yet I remained silent. Quiet as the cars littering the courtyard, wordless, metallic sentinels, sole witnesses of her confession. I do not know why I did not reply.

She was smiling patiently at me, a slightly amused expression on her adorable face. She turned again and walked off, leaving me standing there, mouth agape.

When we met again later on, she asked me for an answer. I noticed how she had matured, grown and filled out nicely, not particular well-endowed like she never was, yet slight curves where there were none before and slightly fleshier, which only had the effect of enhancing her graceful beauty.

"I’ll get back to you after I change," I told her.

I entered the toilet and spent the rest of the dream there, changing my clothes, which seemed to take forever, dallying, listening helplessly to the music of the natives of the toilet, as the shirt I was trying to wear obstinately refused to be worn.

And I awoke, torn from the dream and the tantalizing prospect beheld in it's conclusion, for I had only 1 answer for her, from the start. As I opened my eyes, complete, utter disappointment flooded over me and doused the delight in my chest, like a wave of freezing water over a burning ember.

Stop haunting my dreams. I don’t want to feel this anymore, this bittersweet longing for you. For what could have been but never was, for a loss only I feel. Please let me let you go.

Bittersweet.

© Copyright 2009 gid - All Rights Reserved
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

1 posted 2009-12-13 11:30 PM

I was perplexed by the title of this one.  Why did you call it a "lucid dream?" when the dreamer had no free will over his actions?  At first glance this might seem to be a mistake on your part but I wonder if you didn't do it intentionally.  After all, it seems like even if you did have complete control over your own actions perhaps you would still be unable to free yourself from this woman

Struggling to get the shirt on in the bathroom was a cool touch.  Maybe it means that the dreamer is insecure about how he appears to this beautiful woman.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
2 posted 2010-01-06 11:28 PM

Fine writing...enjoyed very much...James
VelvetVampress
since 2010-04-24
Posts 26

3 posted 2010-05-02 06:40 AM

I love your details... It was a great read... Thank you for sharing.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Lucid Dream

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary