navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Not My Game
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Not My Game Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kindredspirit
since 2009-05-19
Posts 156

0 posted 2009-10-02 11:44 AM

That cold smell of cigarettes and men seemed to sink into my pores, as I mentally traced the planes of his face, all angles and bones that framed flat, colorless eyes. Eyes like the smoke that writhed in the air between us.
He had asked, “Do you mind?” before lighting up. I shook my head and imagined his lungs charring as black as his shirt.
“What are you thinking about?” His thin lips curved upward, and I denied my attraction to him with a shrug.
It was only a game of pool, and my hands were freezing. His expressionless gaze sliced effortlessly through my layers of dissemblance, leaving me exposed.
“You’re always thinking something.” Shaking his head in mock frustration, he leaned over gracefully to shoot the 8 ball into a corner pocket, winning his second game.
Although he was unaware at the time, he had won much more than that.

© Copyright 2009 Kara Fohner - All Rights Reserved
AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
1 posted 2009-10-28 11:03 AM

Kindredspirit:  This is well written, with darkness and smoke.  It comes across as the antithesis of mutual attraction, and holds glimpses of sadness and disappointment in the near future.  A classic "good girl attracted to bad guy" romance.  Well done.
Jim

Sutra 30: Language reflects the Truth of one’s Reality: listen carefully when others speak.
Jim's Guide to Enlightenment

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2009-12-14 12:41 PM

Nice little vignette.  The end was a bit quick though.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2009-12-29 07:17 PM

Reminded me of a woman I used to shoot pool with...nice...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Not My Game

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary