navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Closing My Eyes
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Closing My Eyes Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
openthoughts
since 2006-01-16
Posts 94
Where the child can be free

0 posted 2009-08-31 01:33 AM

Closing My Eyes

The food court was crowded and I struggled to find a table.  Eventually, I noticed an empty one.  Once seated, I began to arrange the components of my meal so that they would be easily accessible: bacon cheeseburger directly in front, garden salad to the left, oreo cake to the right, Coke to the top right.  

I turned to Mike and asked him for salt.  Mike wasn’t there.  In his place sat a tall man dressed in ratty clothes and smelling of ash.  He told me that he made the cake as he took a bite from the edge of the crust.  I too took a bite so that I could compliment his fine baking.  It tasted like blood.  I told him it was delicious.  He smiled and said it will be.

He walked away.  I followed him, asking if he wanted to take his cake.  It was, after all, his.  He was gone.

I returned to the table.  Mike told me that my cake tasted disgusting.  Why would the man leave his cake?  I was suspicious.  Suspecting the true motive, I poked my index finger into the middle and touched a metallic surface.

I ran, but I could not turn around, so I ran backwards.  Bullets flew through the air, so close to me I thought they were passing through.  I felt no pain so they must not have been.  

I reached the stairs.  Mike’s head met a bullet the size of a champagne cork and burst.  The cake stopped ticking and erupted into fire.  I felt the heat and heard the screaming but I was safely up the stairs.  I needed a means to defend myself.  I needed to defend my friends.  There was a firearms store on the third floor.  

I found the proprietor.  I asked him for guns.  He said no.  I told him people were dying.  I asked him if he could hear it, though I couldn’t hear anything myself.  He told me I needed to get a permit first.  I said there was no time.  He gave me a knife and said to do my best.  I put it in his head for wasting time and allowing so many people to die.  He said that wasn’t helping me.  

I ran back downstairs, forwards now.  The cake had finished exploding.  There no people but there were bodies everywhere.  The bullets still flew.  I stood in the middle of them, searching for a familiar face.  There was my father.  He was dead, and the look on his face made me think he died from shock and not the metal that had burrowed into his brain.  

I tried to walk around the bullet but it collided with my chest, splitting it down along my sternum.  The two sides folded apart.  I could see my ribs and beneath those, my inflating and deflating lungs.  I put my hand into the cavity and searched and searched but I could not find my heart.  Cleanly severed arteries and veins dangled where they should have been connected and pumping blood.  

I looked up, surprised.  The man in the ratty clothes smelling of ash held my heart tauntingly in his fingerless gloved hand.  He said that he told me it would be delicious.  Then he tossed my heart at my feet and left through the door of bullets that headed towards me.

© Copyright 2009 openthoughts - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2009-08-31 07:08 AM

A very impressive tale. Though horror stories are not my favorite, I kept reading till the end and find that you did a good job.

Love,
M

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
2 posted 2009-11-04 11:02 AM

Gee, openthoughts...a fastfood buzz that keeps on giving:  a sugar high that burns out synapses!  Heavy story that reminds me of the trips of some of my colleagues from back in the "day."
Thank you for reinforcing my decision to stay away from fast food joints.  Good tale that leaves me wondering what happens next?
Peace
Jim

"We are stardust:  we are golden:  and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."  --Joni Mitchell "Woodstock"

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Closing My Eyes

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary