navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Exonar Project
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Exonar Project Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2009-05-24 01:35 PM

Henry was born the only child of Diane and Elvis Exonar. Diane, a renowned anthropologist was the author of many books on emerging civilizations in the new part of the Galaxy being explored. That was how she met Elvis Exonar. He was an entrepreneur explorer and amateur inventor. His many adventures in space were the bedtime stories for young Henry who grew up with a desire to follow in his parents footsteps. Home schooled, he accrued enough credits to graduate college at the age of 10. This set him free to travel with his parents. He lived out of three suitcases, one with the label 'stranger in a strange land' in honor of a famous science fiction author he'd heard about in his literature class.

His life was idyllic. His parents took him everywhere with them. They instilled in him a love for all things alien..taught him to care for and respect other living beings no matter who/what they were. When he was merely 14, he published a book about his travels titled "Galaxy of Hope'. This book served as a guideline to his life. He spoke openly about the hope of peace for all citizens of the world. His parents, ever exceedingly proud of their prodigy son, allowed him to take small side adventures of his own. It was on his second quest that he met an old creature so wise that Henry's life was forever changed by him.  The Old One, as Henry called him, spoke of a band of brethern gathered to travel together to many lands, in peace, teaching brotherhood by word and deed. His vision was simple - trust others as you would a brother/sister and they would give back that trust tenfold. Henry stayed with the Old One for many months, working on his trading station - monitoring the many ships that came and went, making friends with the crews from throughout the galaxy ... two friendships in particular would prove fruitful - Wexlynash Xeria - a physician from Xerian Isles, and Pragmatica deVelenta, a Crustacyan princess of great wealth.

In the summer of his 17th year, Henry's parents were cruelly slain by a band of marauding warriors from Azzis Strawn. Their bodies were ripped to shreds and tossed into the Lake of Fools on Asterian One Station. By the time Henry arrived, all that remained were their personal belongings. Without a home, he traveled back to Earth to create a memorial to their work.

The Old One came to him one day - a few months into his mourning and offered Henry a proposition. He offered two ships - for the purposes of exploration. But, the Old One said, Henry must make his first stop Azzis Strawn and make peace with the warriors there. Henry was appalled! The ones who murdered his parents? He refused, at first. The Old One, knowing his friends, called them to Henry's side. Wex offered to travel with Henry as his second in command. And the princess offered to fund his work - a fund would be set up to gather interest from which Henry could draw forever.

The wise one coaxed "to truly be of one brotherhood one must learn to accept and forgive.'

Henry cringed - to forgive those who murdered his parents was an anathema to him. Wex and Princess Pragmatica gently offered their advice - the man they saw Henry becoming was one of greatness ..one who could change the world. Finally it was Wex who brought Henry the enlightenment he needed.

"To heal, I must not judge the one with the wound...only at the wound. How can I, as a physician, heal only those I understand or have affinity with? Do all creatures not deserve to be healed? And who is to judge who doesn't? Not I! For then it would me who would be judged next and by what criteria? It would frighten me to wonder day to day if I might do something that would incur the wrath of one who would hold my life in his hands."

Henry thought on this for days. His vision - his quest was to heal the wounds of conflict in the Galaxy. Where better to start than Azzis Strawn?

And thus it was that Henry, Wex and the old wise one  ventured to Azzis Strawn on the first peace mission of the Exonar Project.

© Copyright 2009 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2009-05-24 02:10 PM

Boy, this better be a longer story than this!  I was just absorbed into it, and it stopped. "More," I say, "more please?"  Kids of all ages would love this!

So good to read you

p.s. I always have trouble with pronouncing the names in these great stories, so I hate to tell you, I kept Henry, and the parents names, but this one - Pragmatica deVelenta, a Crustacyan princess of great wealth, is now "The shrimp!"  

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2009-05-24 10:45 PM

Oh wow, this was wonderful.  I'm definitely adding it to my favourites.  Thank you so much for posting something like this.  I've been experimenting with narratives like this for a while now too, so it's good to see someone else doing it so I can see examples of ways it can be done.

And yes, please do continue this story!  Science fiction that tears at the reader by exposing him/her to uncomfortable propositions is a favourite of mine.

Life's short.  Think hard!
Me!

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

3 posted 2009-05-24 10:48 PM

PS:
I loved the names.  I'd love to hear what Pragmatica does next in your story.  That name suggests all kinds of possibilities.  Spirituality is so often a difficult thing to integrate into everyday life.  So a character named Pragmatica would be an asset to a narrative like this .

Life's short.  Think hard!
Me!

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2009-05-25 02:34 PM

Fractal007 - You are learning from a great teacher!     I was kidding Sharon about the names by the way, except my tongue always gets caught on names from "fantasy" characters.  I am Canadian, speak fluent French, and really poorly I might add.     I just can not grasp other languages period!
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2009-05-25 04:56 PM

Thank you both for reading...I am writing more now. And when I'm done, I'll tell you where the inspiration came from for this storyline.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2009-05-25 07:30 PM

Am I allowed a guess?  SL?  
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
7 posted 2009-05-25 09:50 PM

Yes...LOL

I was given the task of writing the backstory...so I thought - why not share it with you all? I've written a few things there that I like...

stargal
since 2006-03-06
Posts 1352
OR USA
8 posted 2009-05-26 06:51 PM

Poet deVine-

I am anxiously awaiting the next instalment! I have read and re-read, and am still reading, for I keep finding little nuggets of wisdom in this story. --as a side note this reminds me of Elizabeth Elliot, and her missionary journey to Ecuador. -- I am looking forward to finding out what inspired you to write this, for it is a very thought provoking story.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2009-05-28 01:24 PM

Well Sharon, let's read the things you wrote there I can't wait!  I poke in there from time to time, but find once in - there is no getting out in a half hour anyway.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Exonar Project

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary