navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Starlings
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Starlings Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

0 posted 2008-12-01 11:40 PM

We hugged our goodbyes and laughed about the silliness of our parting sniffles
and wads of tear soaked tissues. As you passed through the metal detector with
the baby held close to your young mother's heart, and the guard made a final
blessing like gesture with his hand held wand, I added Amen and prayed your
happiness might last forever.

I sat by the window to watch your JetBlue vanish into that darkest hour when
both traveler and those who remain disappear behind the smokey glass of reflection.

I didn’t notice her sit down beside me until she spoke and said, It's hard isn't it.
I turned and saw a grandmother figure with rosy cheeks and silky white hair, a
Mrs. Santa knitting patiently on something tiny and pink. Wiping tears I choked
on It certainly is.  She nodded sympathetically and said she was waiting for light.
Her son had driven on the way over but she was afraid of going home alone in the dark.

We chatted for a few until your plane disappeared into the remains of the night.
I wished her safe journey and headed off into the darkness of my own tomorrow.

Near the airport parking garage there are three trees, two evergreens and a large
Japanese maple, leafless this time of year. Their autumn stark outlines were barely
visible in that cold hour before the dawn. As I crossed the road suddenly the
palpable silence of the nearly deserted airport was shattered by the sound of hundreds
of birds.

Though invisible to my eye that lightless morning, I recognized coming from that
trinity of trees the song of the flock of starlings that had for days seemed to be
following me everywhere as if an omen.

I saw them first on that morning after a cold November night rain darkened my world
by claiming the last golden leaves from the oaks outside my window and later again
that same day at the cove when they hovered like storm clouds and sky danced the forlorn
choreography of the lost trapped between conflicting elements. Several days later as I
pulled into the nursing home, there they were again, foreshadowing another loss of light
in my world.

The last time I saw them, before that morning at the airport, was at the gathering on
Thanksgiving Day where the family divided by unspeakable darkness assembles once
a year to pretend a shred of normalcy.

Let it go, let it go is now what I imagine the song of the starlings to be. Though watching
you leave took light from my world, I know you were leaving only the darkness for a far
brighter world without us - and the starlings will remain as a comfort when in your absence
the pale light of winter fades in the early afternoon.

[This message has been edited by JenniferMaxwell (12-03-2008 08:50 PM).]

© Copyright 2008 JenniferMaxwell - All Rights Reserved
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
1 posted 2008-12-02 12:32 PM

Jennifer,

I just sat back - and in my ever articulate way, muttered, "God, that is incredible writing!"  I saw and I felt.  I am not much for critique or fancy ways of saying what I like.  I just know what I like when I read it.  This - I like.

I also loved your response recently about Christmas and the lights on the trees in the park.

There's a lot of beauty in how you express yourself.

So .. I just say, "God, what incredible writing!"

Alison

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

2 posted 2008-12-02 11:37 AM

Very nicely maintained tone Jenn.  Hard to do well, and it was done well here.
JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

3 posted 2008-12-03 07:25 PM

A pretty rough draft, I'm afraid, but thank you both so much for your very kind comments.
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2008-12-03 11:47 PM

I enjoyed this one.  I liked your use of the ominous birds.  Did you choose that species of bird for any particular purpose?  My knowledge of bird omens is a tad rusty unfortunately.

The curtain of night drawing closed here and there is well-drawn and it carried me away.  I think I'll add this to my library.

Life's short.  Think hard!
Me!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Starlings

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary